C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a heat shield a good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 11:25 AM
RichardEngland
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is a heat shield a good idea?

On my 73 coupe, I installed smaller mufflers and placed them closer to gas tank to hide them. To help protect the gas tank and more importantly, the fuel lines I also created some heat shields from .09” thick aluminum between the gas tank and the mufflers, and left about 2” space between them. My assumption is that the value of a heat shield is to add surface area to dissipate heat. When I measure the temperature of the mufflers and the heat shields, the heat shields are a few degrees hotter then the mufflers, about 10%. I can’t measure the temperature above the HS because I don’t have any line of site. I know that since the HS is higher then the muffler, it might get hotter. Question is, by adding the HS, am I blocking some potential air flow to the gas tank and to the top side of the HS, increasing the temperature on the fuel lines?
Old 07-13-2015, 12:43 PM
ts_vette_st
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

My guess is it's the material. Aluminum dissipates heat well but also conducts heat well. You may get better results using steel as a heat shield.

Quick Reply: Is a heat shield a good idea?