C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heater core removal or not???

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 12:14 PM
jgcable
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default heater core removal or not???

I don't need heat or AC (even if the AC worked which it doesn't) on my 1977 because the car will only be driven occasionally on nice days. I am installing side headers and am turning my little 4spd to look like a 70's street rod complete with a set of moon eyes...lol...

What would be the better option...

Remove the factory AC but leave the heater core and get one of those non-AC heater box covers so that I can still have heat.

or

Remove the factory AC and the heater core but leave all the ductwork intact under the dash, plug up the inlet and outlets on the motor and fashion my own aluminum plate to cover the enormous hole in my firewall. It would be a nice place to install ignition parts etc....
Old 07-15-2015, 12:30 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

If your windows ever fog, you'll wish you had your heater core and ductwork!
Old 07-15-2015, 12:51 PM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Not had a working blower motor in years and just took all that junk out for room and weight. Keep the windows clean inside and windows down works fine, I cruise my car a lot at night and hit the car wash each time almost. Plus my rear window leaks and the pass side pillar a bit. It's been real humid lately and my 2009 truck fogs always, I need to clean those windows.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:38 PM
jgcable
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I think what I am going to do is leave the heater core in place and buy the AC Delete cover for it. I will disconnect the heater hoses from it and plug up the intake and the waterpump with plumbers plugs. This way I will have the option of reconnecting the heat if I ever decide I want it. I know at this point I don't want or need heat or AC.
I also have no intentions of ever selling this car. I have wanted one since I was 11 years old. After owning about 50 cars and motorcycles over the years I finally have one.... 42 years later. When I did work on most of the other muscle cars I have owned in the past I always took resale value into consideration. Its never a good idea to personalize a car (or a bike) to the extent that nobody but you would be into it if you ever intend on selling it. Because of this... I have never really went full boogie on making changes to most of the cars I have owned. My vision for this car is to have a clean no frills engine compartment with plenty of room to work on the motor. I am going to install a radio delete plate. I want it loud. Creature comforts are not important to me although I will stick with the 4 wheel power disc brakes and power steering!

Get notified of new replies

To heater core removal or not???

Quick Reply: heater core removal or not???