C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

POR15 sprays nicely!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2002, 12:13 PM
Ken73
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default POR15 sprays nicely!

I bought some POR15 to try out - I've heard enough good stuff about it and it doesn't require baking like powder coating does, so I decided to use it on my suspension and motor.

Here's my spare A-arms that I'll be putting on my '82... (and Aaron's torque converter cover.)

btw, big thanks to Tom454 for the tips on how to spray it... :cool:
Old 08-23-2002, 01:21 PM
VolVette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: POR15 sprays nicely! (Ken73)

Wow, that does look nice.

What kind of prep work did you do?
Old 08-23-2002, 01:53 PM
Ken73
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In III Veteran

These are a set of "spare" A-arms that I have.. a friend had bought the complete Vette Brakes suspension kit with all new upper and lower tubular A-arms and in return for helping him install it, he gave me his old A-arms. They've already been installed on Aaron's car, then his were installed on another friend's car, and these are his A-arms from his '82. His son works at a shop somewhere, and sandblasted them clean. Other than that, I didn't do any prepwork.

I do have a sandblaster at the house, though, plenty big enough to do A-arms. My old set that will come off will get the same treatment, as they'll probably go on my '73 when the times comes.
Old 08-23-2002, 02:26 PM
Brett K
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Just make sure you put a top coat of something on it or it will oxidize fast :yesnod: Best thing to do is spray some Krylon over it while it is still tacky so you don't have to use the POR-15 primer before painting.
Old 08-23-2002, 07:13 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Is there already a thread for spraying techniques ? Please refer it.
If not - then perhaps Tom could share his tips will all of us.

I thought that the makers of POR15 say NO to spraying it.
My guess is that you would have to thin it with a proprietary chemical -
probably something silly like H2O or vinegar.

Oxidize ? Why ? Because it was sprayed ?

Thanks for posting - They look GREAT !!
:seeya
Old 08-23-2002, 07:41 PM
L. Jackmin
Racer

I recall posts long ago STRONGLY warning against spraying POR-15 without proper breathing equipment. I think one or more forum members have had problems after spraying.

FWIW,

LMJ
Old 08-23-2002, 09:07 PM
Ken73
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: POR15 sprays nicely! (L. Jackmin)

I recall posts long ago STRONGLY warning against spraying POR-15 without proper breathing equipment. I think one or more forum members have had problems after spraying.
Strange, they even mention spraying on the can itself; it basically says the same thing Tom454 told me - do not thin more than 1 part thinner to 4 or 5 parts POR15.

I sprayed this outdoors (in my driveway) with a fan blowing behind me to blow the fumes away, along with wearing an organic mask. I haven't had any problems..? :confused:
Old 08-23-2002, 09:53 PM
Brett K
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: POR15 sprays nicely! (Daves_rusty_75)

Daves_rusty_75,
The POR-15 will turn grey if exposed to sun light no matter how you apply it. A topcoat is recommended. You either have to do it while it is tacky or use POR-15 primer then a topcoat once it dries. Not sure why, but we used it on the frame of my dad's truck last fall and skipped the topcoat. It started turning chalky within just a few days of exposure to sunlight.
Old 08-23-2002, 10:06 PM
SLICKMAN
Melting Slicks

Default Re: POR15 sprays nicely! (Brett K)

There must have been something wrong with that paint you got. I have been using POR15 in Black, Red, Blue, silver, gray and Cast Iron gray coat for years. I used it in Glossy, flat and semi-gloss and never had any problems at all. I never used a top coat..
Old 08-23-2002, 10:59 PM
PROSOUTH
Drifting

Location: Manchester, Dead Center in the Middle of TN 25 miles to Jack Daniels,10 miles to Geo Dickle, and .8 mile from the Liquor Store at I-24 Exit 114
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: POR15 sprays nicely! (SLICKMAN)

I just did the same thing for my el Camino front suspension. On the web-site it said to top coat or it would turn chalky. I coated it with their Chassis Coat so it would not require the special primer. I brushed it on and then top coated it with their Chassis Coat a s directed . Looks great even brushed on.

I mainly wanted to try it out on the Elky before I used it on the Vette. JIM
Old 08-23-2002, 11:23 PM
Ken73
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: POR15 sprays nicely! (PROSOUTH)

That's the Chassis Coat Black that I sprayed; they said I could use it as the main coat, but I just wouldn't see some of the benefits of the base POR15 (hardness, etc.) but it would work as the prime coat. (They were somewhat reluctant to admit this though.)
Old 08-24-2002, 02:30 PM
Blues77
Burning Brakes

How much did you buy? Whats the best type to get for the frame and suspension? ALSO... is there anything like POR-15 but cheaper? Id like to go to ace or somewhere similar, and get something cheaper....
Old 08-24-2002, 05:16 PM
SLICKMAN
Melting Slicks

Default Re: POR15 sprays nicely! (PROSOUTH)

Funny, I have used many of their paints and never used a top coat. It always looked great and never turned chalky.. :confused:

Who knows, stranger things have gone on..
Old 08-25-2002, 12:58 PM
63Banshee
Melting Slicks

Location: WANTED: '68 rear valance with b/u light assemblies IM, e-mail, or PM me here. Thanks!

Default Re: POR15 sprays nicely! (SLICKMAN)

Funny, I have used many of their paints and never used a top coat. It always looked great and never turned chalky.. :confused:

Who knows, stranger things have gone on..
Perhaps the trick is to avoid direct sunlight...
Old 08-25-2002, 01:05 PM
SLICKMAN
Melting Slicks

Default Re: POR15 sprays nicely! (63Banshee)

That could be it.. Any area I used it on never came into direct sunlight for very long..
Old 08-25-2002, 02:22 PM
Ken73
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: POR15 sprays nicely! (Blues77)

I bought about ~$120 worth; I got a "starter kit" in silver, (which I haven't used yet,) a pint each of black, aluminum, Chevy orange, Chevy blue, and Olds gold in their "Engine Enamel" and a quart of Chassis Coat Black. I also got a quart of their thinner, so I could spray it.

I bought the Olds gold for painting stuff that was supposed to be gold-cadmium plated. It won't be a 100% perfect color match, but it also won't fade and look like crap, either. It's keep the engine compartment looking a lot cleaner.

I tried brushing at first, and it looks horrible when brushed. If it's sprayed, it looks very professional!
Old 08-25-2002, 06:47 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,660 Likes on 1,348 Posts

Be careful spraying POR15. If you read their label or ask for a MSDS you'll see it has Isocyanates in it. This chemical will cause you harm if you breath it in. Organic masks will not filter out this chemical, you need a fresh air system if you're going to spray it.
I know a guy who didn't and ended up in the E-room because he couldn't breath. I use POR 15 and like it but I brush it on and use a mask to do that,with a fan blowing the fumes away.
I have used top coating on dried POR15 by scuffing it with scotch brite and a tac rag or spraying it when it's just sticky with what ever top coat you want.
Be careful and follow the directions and you should be ok.
Gary

Get notified of new replies

To POR15 sprays nicely!

Quick Reply: POR15 sprays nicely!