C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattling valves

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 12:59 PM
boseone
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rattling valves

Hi guys,
I have problem with my 1977 C3 - all original L48. There is rattle sound from valve cover on driverīs side on idle. On opposite side is running of valvetrain smooth.
It is thin mechanical rattling, and when I touch valve cover, I feel rattling too. There arenīt misfires, no valve knocking, engine is strong. I opened valve covers before month, when I adjusted valve latch, and there are not any visual problems. I had suspicion on broken valve spring, but they seems to be fine, but I dont see under seals(cups)on top of the springs, if there is something broken. I taked a few photos, which I attach here.
It is strange that on first cylinder intake valve ( second from left) , that cup on valve has clean circle on top, on cyl.5 (third from right) is clean circle too. Is it normal, or it is indication of broken top of valve spring as spring rotates with cup? Have anyone similar experience?
Thanks Jakub

Old 09-22-2015, 01:20 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

It might just be me but in your last pic it looks like there are mismatched valve spring retainers. In your pic, number 1 and 3 cylinders seem to have different retainers on the exhaust valves. Check the bevels. Number 1 intake retainer looks like it is badly worn compared to the other two but it might just be the pic. That intake spring should be covered by the retainer and not moving around side to side.
The following users liked this post:
boseone (09-22-2015)
Old 09-22-2015, 01:23 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

I can't tell because of the glare in the picture. When an engine has exhaust valve rotators only the exhaust valve rotates so the spring remains stationary. Its very common for rocker arms to make contact with the oil baffles that are spot welded to the underside of the valve covers so look those baffles over closely for signs of "polishing" from the rocker arm rubbing against them. If you see any signs of contact you can peck it with a ball peen hammer or grinder to make some clearance.
boseone (09-22-2015)
Old 09-22-2015, 01:24 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

You might be able to wiggle that valve side to side with spring still on it. If so, valve guide is really bad.
boseone (09-22-2015)
Old 09-22-2015, 01:39 PM
boseone
Heel & Toe

It seems that intake retainers are slightly different than exhaust. I have next one photo ...
Old 09-22-2015, 04:03 PM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 343 Likes on 250 Posts

Cut yourself an oil splashgaurd using a piece of cardboard. Fit it along the bottom edge of the springs, and long enough to curl around the end of the springs. Make it about 6-8" tall. Now find yourself an automotive steathescope and start your engine up to pinpoint where your problem is.

The valve guides on those two valves could be very worn, or it could be a pushrod end wearing out....I've seen both of those before. It could also be a mis adjusted valve as well.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:38 PM
Silvertone
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by sstocker31
Cut yourself an oil splashgaurd using a piece of cardboard. Fit it along the bottom edge of the springs, and long enough to curl around the end of the springs. Make it about 6-8" tall. Now find yourself an automotive steathescope and start your engine up to pinpoint where your problem is.

The valve guides on those two valves could be very worn, or it could be a pushrod end wearing out....I've seen both of those before. It could also be a mis adjusted valve as well.
I cut out a stamped steel valve cover to use as a splashguard back in the days when I adjusted stamped steel rockers while running. Also, a long screwdriver makes an excellent stethoscope. Try it!
Old 10-12-2015, 11:42 AM
boseone
Heel & Toe

I solved it yesterday. I made compression test before week, compression was good. Yesterday I inspected rattling again, and found source of rattling in two minutes! It is caused by PCV valve in valve cover. I replaced old valve in summer by new one Fram brand, I think that there is big steel ball inside, and when engine idling, it is possible to hear how ball jumping inside the valve!! :-))
Old 10-12-2015, 12:11 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

Always start with the most expensive and hardest to fix problem first. Then work back to the cheap easy stuff...

Get notified of new replies

To Rattling valves

Quick Reply: Rattling valves