C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

73 Dies when IP dimmer turned.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 02:02 PM
S**ttersFull
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 73 Dies when IP dimmer turned.

73 Convertible
Instrument panel lights do not work. All other lights including "brights" foot well lights and outside lights on the car work. Gauges do also work.

When turning the dimmer switch counter clockwise all the way the car dies.. no power nothing. Won't start and gauges wont even come on.

In order to get the car running again there is a later style fuse(Type we use these days) connected to the alternator thats a 30watt that has to be replaced. Car then starts up fine.

I have checked the fuse box and the IP fuse seems to be fine. I replaced it once and that did absolutely nothing.

Any ideas on where to start with this? I'm thinking due to the newer fuse being added in the engine compartment that one of the previous owners knew about this problem and kept blowing alternators?

Sound like a faulty switch or does it sound like a short/non grounded wire?

Thanks
Old 11-03-2015, 02:08 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by S**ttersFull
73 Convertible
Instrument panel lights do not work. All other lights including "brights" foot well lights and outside lights on the car work. Gauges do also work.

When turning the dimmer switch counter clockwise all the way the car dies.. no power nothing. Won't start and gauges wont even come on.

In order to get the car running again there is a later style fuse(Type we use these days) connected to the alternator thats a 30watt that has to be replaced. Car then starts up fine.

I have checked the fuse box and the IP fuse seems to be fine. I replaced it once and that did absolutely nothing.

Any ideas on where to start with this? I'm thinking due to the newer fuse being added in the engine compartment that one of the previous owners knew about this problem and kept blowing alternators?

Sound like a faulty switch or does it sound like a short/non grounded wire?

Thanks

I am suspecting the big plug that plugs onto your headlight switch is burned up and it's shorting when you turn the dimmer.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:38 PM
S**ttersFull
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So is the plug a part of the switch or an entirely different piece?

Get notified of new replies

To 73 Dies when IP dimmer turned.

Quick Reply: 73 Dies when IP dimmer turned.