C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1978 corvette wont do anything when key is turned

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 01:55 AM
millhouse2
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1978 corvette wont do anything when key is turned

Hello I am new to the forum. I recently bought a 1978 corvette. It was running when I bought it but due to the safety inspection in Hawaii I could drive it cause it didn't pass safety. So I had to change out the power steering pump due to a leak. After changing that out ad putting the alternator back on I go and try to start the car and nothing zero. No power no crank no turn over absolutely nothing happens no power to the lights antenna anything. So I changed out the starter thought that could be the problem that didn't work. Changed the ignition switch that didn't work. Check all the fuses and fusible links, to my knowledge non of them are broke from what I read if you can pull them or if they are soft on either side they are no good. I am really confused on what it is and I think that it is something simple that I am missing. Please any help would be amazing I am running out of ideas as to what it could be. It has a 350 motor with a 4 speed manual trans. Thank you
Old 11-17-2015, 02:49 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by millhouse2
Hello I am new to the forum. I recently bought a 1978 corvette. It was running when I bought it but due to the safety inspection in Hawaii I could drive it cause it didn't pass safety. So I had to change out the power steering pump due to a leak. After changing that out ad putting the alternator back on I go and try to start the car and nothing zero. No power no crank no turn over absolutely nothing happens no power to the lights antenna anything. So I changed out the starter thought that could be the problem that didn't work. Changed the ignition switch that didn't work. Check all the fuses and fusible links, to my knowledge non of them are broke from what I read if you can pull them or if they are soft on either side they are no good. I am really confused on what it is and I think that it is something simple that I am missing. Please any help would be amazing I am running out of ideas as to what it could be. It has a 350 motor with a 4 speed manual trans. Thank you

It sounds like you have a dead battery. Somewhere along the way you may have left the door ajar enough to turn the courtesy and dome lights on which drained your battery. So before doing anything else charge your battery and see if it'll crank. Yes, it no doubt is a simple problem but you got flustered and started throwing new parts into it when the old parts were actually good.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:16 PM
Snoopysvet
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Make sure the car is in PARK

Yes it happened to me! lol
Old 11-17-2015, 05:28 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Snoopysvet
Make sure the car is in PARK

Yes it happened to me! lol

Ha, I have done stupid things like that too and as I age I seem to be making more and more of them. Sad, huh? I have left my ignition switch in the ON position a couple of times recently and found my battery stone dead the next morning so its likely he just made a simple mistake and caused his problem.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:40 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,273 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Not being in park won't cause the lights and antenna not to work. You need to start with your meter leads on the battery and then move methodically down the line to find where you're losing your power. You'll probably find it somewhere near the battery cables or the ground going to the frame. Don't just replace parts, measure and find what's bad

Last edited by 65GGvert; 11-17-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:29 PM
64roadster
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

I was recently working on my '64 and all of a sudden I lost all electrical power, nothing at all. This is a total frame-off restoration with all new wiring and most other electrical components. I started searching through all the main wiring connections and found nothing wrong. Finally checked my battery and it barely had a pulse. I put a charge on it and everything is back to normal. I guess 7 or 8 years on a battery isn't too bad.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:53 PM
millhouse2
5th Gear

Originally Posted by toobroketoretire
It sounds like you have a dead battery. Somewhere along the way you may have left the door ajar enough to turn the courtesy and dome lights on which drained your battery. So before doing anything else charge your battery and see if it'll crank. Yes, it no doubt is a simple problem but you got flustered and started throwing new parts into it when the old parts were actually good.

The battery is brand new and in order to not drain it completely dead I unhook the battery every time I am done working on the car as a just in case. The battery is reading with a meter at 12.30 I know that is a little low I think that it is suppose to be at 12.40 or higher but not higher then 14.0 if that is correct please let me know. Thank you
Old 11-17-2015, 10:57 PM
hpxt
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by millhouse2
It was running when I bought it but due to the safety inspection in Hawaii I could drive it cause it didn't pass safety.
Welcome to the forum, I too have a 78 in Hawaii. Small world, thought I was the only Hawaii C3 on the forum.

As others' mentioned if you ruled out the battery, could be a ground issue. I had a similar problem, both the battery cable and ground was bad. Replaced it and fixed the problem.
Mike
Old 11-17-2015, 11:07 PM
millhouse2
5th Gear

Originally Posted by hpxt
Welcome to the forum, I too have a 78 in Hawaii. Small world, thought I was the only Hawaii C3 on the forum.

As others' mentioned if you ruled out the battery, could be a ground issue. I had a similar problem, both the battery cable and ground was bad. Replaced it and fixed the problem.
Mike

OK I will take a look at the battery cable itself I have checked and cleaned the ground. The battery cables are the new style ones or at least to me they are new and they screw into the side of the battery instead of on the top like I'm use to seeing it was a good thing is it better or worse.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:52 PM
hpxt
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't like the side mounts either. Forgot to mention you can check continuity with a multimeter.
Mike
Old 11-18-2015, 12:09 AM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 352 Likes on 257 Posts

I assume the battery connections have already been checked.
I have seen where the side mount bolts tighten but the cable is nowhere close to the battery....the bolts are too long. Confirm that they are the correct length.
Are you checking the ground cable where it bolts to the frame just underneath below the battery box?
Also use your multi meter to check the voltage at the starter itself, it should be a solid 12v.
There should be a ground cable from the engine to the frame right close to the starter as well.
Check all those out and report back.

Last edited by OMF; 11-19-2015 at 01:24 AM.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:25 AM
sug
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 510 Likes on 270 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
C3 of Year Winner (stock) 2019

Have you tried pushing the clutch in when starting .
Old 11-18-2015, 08:13 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,273 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by sug
Have you tried pushing the clutch in when starting .
How do you propose that the clutch can cause no lights or power antenna?
Old 11-18-2015, 10:39 AM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 588 Likes on 466 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Check your ground cable from the battery to the frame. It's copper clad aluminum and prone to corrosion from those stupid side terminal batteries G.M thought were so great.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:25 PM
donnie1956
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should have 12v at the big lug on the starter at all times. Thats where the main cable from battery to starter. Do you have a schematic of your model?
Old 05-13-2024, 04:43 AM
1978jm
1st Gear

Default Hey what’s up just wondering if you think I got the same problems lol

Originally Posted by toobroketoretire
  • I don’t think it’s 100% my battery because my head lights still work but my interior lights don’t turn on, also when keys are in ignition nothing happens no clicking or anything.
Old 05-13-2024, 07:44 AM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 880 Likes on 696 Posts

Originally Posted by 1978jm
  • I don’t think it’s 100% my battery because my head lights still work but my interior lights don’t turn on, also when keys are in ignition nothing happens no clicking or anything.
Best to start your own thread on this rather than post in this conversation from 9 years ago.
Old 05-13-2024, 08:17 AM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 588 Likes on 466 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Battery ground cable!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To 1978 corvette wont do anything when key is turned

Quick Reply: 1978 corvette wont do anything when key is turned