C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More bad luck, can someone help me out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2002, 04:39 PM
sdixon21
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default More bad luck, can someone help me out?

I spent a good 4 months restoring my rear suspension. Sandblasted and repainted everything. I replaced the trailing arms, bearings, U-joints and all new bolts. It took sometime but everything looks great. I was very happy that I took the time to redo everything.
Just last week I had a new U-joint snap right-in-half. It punched a hole in my battery compartment, bent the half-shaft and messed up the strut bracket. To make things worse it was during the Woodward Dream Cruise. It looks like it was a bad casting. I was very pissed. I was lucky to find that my brother had an extra half-shaft with U-joints ready to go. A few hours of work and I was back on the road. I still need to fix the battery compartment and bracket, but I will save that for the winter. Still it’s very frustrating to have something break that you just got done redoing!!!

Now I have to send my carb back to Demon. I have had nothing but problems trying to get it tuned. I took out the squirter screw the other day and had the threads come with it. It looks like the aluminum they used for the body of the carb is bad. I found some aluminum pieces stuck in my power valve last summer. They tell me it could be weeks before I get my carb back. Sometimes I think my car has a cure on it. Will I ever get to enjoy it for more then a few weeks? I have spent countless hours working on it and very few driving it!

I have been looking around for someone that has an extra carb that I could use for a few weeks. I can’t find anyone that has one that will fit my car. I have heard something about a carb loner program? I was wondering if someone can help me out. I will be willing to repay you for the use of the carb! If so I need something that will work on my 350 Chevy create engine.
Old 08-27-2002, 04:44 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: More bad luck, can someone help me out? (sdixon21)

I have a Holly 600 you can use, just need to get a few parts that I took off for my 750 dp. It ran fine just last week. What base pattern is it? I think holley, like mine, is square bore and q-jet is spreadbore? Let me know.
Old 08-27-2002, 04:48 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

What type of U-Joints were you using? I've seen the Spicer with the grease fitting do that right out of the box!
Old 08-27-2002, 06:22 PM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: More bad luck, can someone help me out? (Smokehouse69)

Scott,
Sorry, but I don't have a carb for you. I'm sure someone can help you. How is the shop coming along?

Smokehouse69,
I just wanted to chime in that I just installed two new Spicers with the greas fitting on my prop. I made 15 passes at Milan last night with no problem. I know the half shaft ones take more torque, but I got on mine pretty good last night with no problems. Hopefully, the ones you have seen were a rare issue.

Ken
Old 08-27-2002, 06:37 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: More bad luck, can someone help me out? (bb69)

is everybody asleep? lars is still running the carb "loaner" program! :)
You are already participating in the carb "loner" program!! :lol:
Contact Lars and see if he has one for you. search on username "lars"
MJ
Old 08-27-2002, 10:17 PM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Check with Lars and see what he's got for a loaner. If nothing, I've got a 4160 Holley Vac Secondary carb sitting in my garage. Probably needs more work than Fevre's 600 though.
Old 08-28-2002, 01:52 AM
Stevo81
Pro

When I read, "More bad luck, can anybody help me out", I assumed you had a cash flow problem. I was ready to help, but money is not the case, and I don't know drivetrain stuff well, so I can't really help...maybe next time...Stevo81 :seeya
Old 08-28-2002, 07:51 AM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Steve I know your mishaps all too well with my own vette :nonod: . I too seem to work on my car much more than I get to drive it. It is very frustrating. I drive it wondering what is the next thing to break, sometimes things that I've already replaced with the best I could get. I will say that I enjoy it very much when driving it, but sometimes wonder if it's all really worth it :rolleyes: .

Good luck & keep your chin up ;) .
Old 08-28-2002, 10:47 AM
VettePower
Melting Slicks

Default Re: More bad luck, can someone help me out? (Stevo)

When I read, "More bad luck, can anybody help me out", I assumed you had a cash flow problem. I was ready to help, but money is not the case, and I don't know drivetrain stuff well, so I can't really help...maybe next time...Stevo81 :seeya
Hey Stevo81, about that cash flow problem!!! I sure could use a couple of Grand!!! :yesnod: :yesnod:
Old 08-28-2002, 11:48 AM
sdixon21
Advanced

Default Re: More bad luck, can someone help me out? (Stevo)

Well money is always a problem. I always seem to dig some up for the car though. I could use alot of new things around the house but they seem to get pushed down the list when I need something for vette.
I have been talking to Fevre and he is going to set me up with a carb that I can use. I tell my friends that a forum member is going to let me use their carb until I get my back and they can't believe it. As I am finding out, it's like you become apart of a club. Everyone helps everyone else out. I just wanted to say thanks to Fevre and everyone else that has given me tips and advice!!

Oh yeah, some of you have gotten me mistaken with my brother Scott. I'm his younger brother Steve.
Old 08-28-2002, 11:54 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve

Trying to track down an idle screw for my carb. If you could call around and see if you locate one I would appreciate it. I think it may be the hardest part to find in stock. Anyone got one to sell? Seems they don't list them in their parts catalog.

[Modified by Fevre, 9:55 AM 8/28/2002]
Old 08-28-2002, 01:40 PM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Steve,
Sorry, I don't remember Scott mentioning you were on the forum. It's great you are both in it.

Ken
Old 08-28-2002, 03:28 PM
dsagers
Pro

[Modified by dsagers, 12:30 PM 8/28/2002]
Old 08-28-2002, 03:29 PM
dsagers
Pro

Default Next time you may want to consider these

Just sent off a check for mine.
http://www.dragvette.com/links2509.html
Old 08-28-2002, 04:52 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Next time you may want to consider these (dsagers)

Here's a pic of Dragvette's Halfshaft safety loop I recently installed ;) .

Get notified of new replies

To More bad luck, can someone help me out?

Quick Reply: More bad luck, can someone help me out?