C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first drive after front end rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 07:59 PM
Sluefoot
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Some add'l. pit pics! Orientation NOT guaran-damn-teed!
Attached Images    

Last edited by Sluefoot; 12-09-2015 at 07:41 AM.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:23 PM
htown81vette
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Sluefoot
Hey you want to adopt a 48 year old? I can live down in that pit at night (in a sleeping bag) and work on Corvettes during the day.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:15 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by htown81vette
Hey you want to adopt a 48 year old? I can live down in that pit at night (in a sleeping bag) and work on Corvettes during the day.
Yep and that'd also be a great place to hide out from the wife! "Honey, honey, are you out there? Where are you? I've got stuff for you to do..."

Old 12-08-2015, 11:43 PM
htown81vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by F22
Yep and that'd also be a great place to hide out from the wife! "Honey, honey, are you out there? Where are you? I've got stuff for you to do..."

exactly
Old 12-09-2015, 12:31 AM
454Luvr
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts

Nice job! These cars handle extremely well with their original factory parts. When I first drove my '72, it was only two years old and about 6K miles. Turbo Porches couldn't keep up.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:39 AM
Sluefoot
Racer

Thanx for all the compliments guys....YES, it IS a gr8 place to HIDE...and occasionally get some work done!! I'd be LOST w/o my PIT!!
Old 12-09-2015, 11:36 AM
ronarndt
Drifting

Received 252 Likes on 193 Posts
Default Pit

Nice design on the pit. Like the diamond plate edge on the top. I used pressure treated 2 x 6 since I thought I might want to add something else later and could just attach with nails or screws. Never did add anything. How do you cover it when not in use? I had three 3/4 inch plywood panels glued together and fitting into a ledge around the edge of the pit so if I mis-judged parking the car it would not end up in the pit. First job was always clearing out the spiders and crickets!
Old 12-09-2015, 05:50 PM
Sluefoot
Racer

The covers are made of 2x4 screwed together (w/ cross-reinforcing pcs.) to make square easily handled pieces w/ plywood on top.....and covered w/ Diamond Plate. I also have Diamond Plate on my walk-thru door & around the base of 2 of the walls.

I'm attaching a coupla' more pics to give U a better idea of the layout:
I've got knotty pine/double-tongue-and-groove siding w/ grey metal roofing for my ceiling, and I've doubled my R-rating on insulation from the previous setup....complete w/ a great surround sound, fridge w/ COLD beer (& Jaggermeister in the freezer) w/ pool table on heavy casters that I move in & out to work on vehicles when needed!

I did ALL the interior work myself...w/ a laser power miter saw, table saw & all the other misc. tools, it's purdy easy to do!

Sorry they're a tad blurry, but it gives U the idea!
Attached Images    

Last edited by Sluefoot; 12-09-2015 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:31 PM
OzBeast
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Well done gents, all look amazing.

Can you all say what guides you used to rebuild these? I know some of you have inherent mechanic feng shui, but for the rest of us it would be awesome to know what you referenced, what worked and what didn't.

Cheers!
Old 12-09-2015, 09:41 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Default really fancy garage

The covers are made of 2x4 screwed together (w/ cross-reinforcing pcs.) to make square easily handled pieces w/ plywood on top.....and covered w/ Diamond Plate. I also have Diamond Plate on my walk-thru door & around the base of 2 of the walls.

I'm attaching a coupla' more pics to give U a better idea of the layout:
I've got knotty pine/double-tongue-and-groove siding w/ grey metal roofing for my ceiling, and I've doubled my R-rating on insulation from the previous setup....complete w/ a great surround sound, fridge w/ COLD beer (& Jaggermeister in the freezer) w/ pool table on heavy casters that I move in & out to work on vehicles when needed!

I did ALL the interior work myself...w/ a laser power miter saw, table saw & all the other misc. tools, it's purdy easy to do!

Sorry they're a tad blurry, but it gives U the idea!
Very impressive. My garage is functional with finished drywall, insulation, AC and heat, lots of electrical outlets for 110 and 220 volt, shelves everywhere, a 16 foot ceiling with lifting point and about 20 feet of bench space. All done by the guy I bought the house from. I have to walk to the next room shop to get the beer from the fridge. Maybe I should hang some pictures on the wall, but it would still be no where like your setup.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:19 PM
htown81vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by OzBeast
Well done gents, all look amazing.

Can you all say what guides you used to rebuild these? I know some of you have inherent mechanic feng shui, but for the rest of us it would be awesome to know what you referenced, what worked and what didn't.

Cheers!
Once you get in there and start pulling things apart it's really pretty self explanatory how it goes back together. Just remember which bolts go where. I think I did have to look up torque specs on everything, but don't remember what I referenced. When you get to the point where you need to get the spring out, I just put a hyd floor jack under the A-arms, and slowly lowered it. I didn't even bothered compressing the spring. I thought it would fly out but was surprised when it just fell out. It is time consuming, and hard work. But it wasn't that hard to figure out what needed to be done. The mechanics quote $800-$1000 for this job in labor. Seems ridiculously high, but after doing the work myself I realized they earn every penny.

Last edited by htown81vette; 12-09-2015 at 10:19 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:56 PM
rosslato
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I love that Pit Sluefoot, just awesome!
I went w/the VBP Aarms and fiberglass spring up front and TRW spring in the rear w/Bilstein shocks all around. It drives and steers awesome, Love it. Had the Steering Box rebuilt. I sandblasted all the parts frt & rear then gave them a coat of por 15 after etching & topcoated w/por 15 Ford Red engine paint. the frame i coated w/por 15 & topcoated w/krylon semi black. also used por 15 to coat the shell & wheelwells. i used dupli color red anodized paint for 1/2shafts & shocks. I’ve now got 165,000 miles on it and still have the Stock Trailing Arms which have never been rebuilt, I use that trailing arm bearing lube tool every 30,000 mi and give it a 10 shot of grease on both sides and I’m still good to go.

The following 2 users liked this post by rosslato:
htown81vette (12-09-2015), ronarndt (12-10-2015)
Old 12-09-2015, 11:04 PM
htown81vette
Drifting

I just feel like some good looking woman just lifted her skirt and showd us the promised land. PUUUUURDY!!!
The following users liked this post:
rosslato (12-11-2015)
Old 12-10-2015, 07:15 AM
Sluefoot
Racer

Rosslato: Thx for the compliment....
I DO hafta return the compliment for your BEAUTIOUS 'Vette....what a work of art!!

The reason I've done what I've done....and I'm far from being done....is the simple fact that this is my 1st 'Vette, and I'm doing things based on the fact that I plan on KEEPING this fun vehicle.....unless someone "made me an offer I couldn't refuse!". I've always done my own wrenching, and I have the facility & knowledge to do these things...although I hafta admit that I've watched a LOT of U-Tube Videos, & taken advise from the very knowledgeable & helpful people on THIS SITE!! (I must admit that having the $$ to do all this really helps....I'm not rich....just "comfortable" ; ^ )
rosslato (12-11-2015)
Old 12-10-2015, 09:46 AM
ronarndt
Drifting

Default detailed undercarriage

Originally Posted by rosslato
I went w/the VBP Aarms and fiberglass spring up front and TRW spring in the rear w/Bilstein shocks all around. It drives and steers awesome, Love it. Had the Steering Box rebuilt. I sandblasted all the parts frt & rear then gave them a coat of por 15 after etching & topcoated w/por 15 Ford Red engine paint. the frame i coated w/por 15 & topcoated w/krylon semi black. also used por 15 to coat the shell & wheelwells. i used dupli color red anodized paint for 1/2shafts & shocks. I’ve now got 165,000 miles on it and still have the Stock Trailing Arms which have never been rebuilt, I use that trailing arm bearing lube tool every 30,000 mi and give it a 10 shot of grease on both sides and I’m still good to go.

rosslato- superb detailing on your frame and suspension. How do you keep it so clean? I thought I was doing well to paint the frame and suspension black, calipers red and chrome on major engine parts. Yours is show car quality. RA
rosslato (12-11-2015)
Old 12-10-2015, 08:49 PM
rosslato
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ronarndt
rosslato- superb detailing on your frame and suspension. How do you keep it so clean? I thought I was doing well to paint the frame and suspension black, calipers red and chrome on major engine parts. Yours is show car quality. RA
RA, those pics are from when i was assembling all the fresh painted parts back on the vette. I WISH it would all stay that clean forever but thats not real life. I do get under there and give it a good cleaning once a yr and having a Kwiklift helps immensely. I did the front end in 2006 and the rear in 2005 and it still looks pretty fresh. Our work is never done on our vettes, EVER!
Old 12-10-2015, 08:53 PM
rosslato
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by htown81vette
I just feel like some good looking woman just lifted her skirt and showd us the promised land. PUUUUURDY!!!
Thats Funny!

Get notified of new replies

To first drive after front end rebuild

Old 12-10-2015, 09:06 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

I am very sorry to disparage your C3, but the two Chevrolet Emblems on the half shafts are slightly misaligned and we will have to deduct at least ten 'cool' points for that!

But really, that is one awesome, gorgeous looking underneath. There should be a Corvette **** Category, just for that, Underskirt Shot indeed!

PS: Sluefoot,love, love your pit. I have a lift and I'd still would love to have a pit, just so I can go underneath it, without the hassle! Very cool!
rosslato (12-11-2015)
Old 12-10-2015, 09:09 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

"Our work is never done on our vettes, EVER"
Ain't that the truth. I put the cover on my 93 RX-7 for winter storage before I got the bright idea to replace something that does not need replacing- just to get another 5 hp out of the motor, which already sends the car to 60 mph in 4.1 sec. I'll spend the time on the Vette, which actually needs the work.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:25 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Now you are talking about a car that will handle...I hope that you are running 17/18 Z Rated tires with all that suspension work like on mine which makes the car handle on rails. I have much the same (not so pretty). If you don't have a front spreader bar, GET ONE!!! It will improve the steering, handling, and ride for short money..think speedirect has a sales right now before Xmas for $99....I also have poly upper and lower control arm bushings to eliminate more front end slop along with a GTR1999 custom blueprinted/ rebuilt steering box...steers, handles, and rides like a modern sports car...no comparison to when it came from the factory stock with the gymkhana suspension and 255/60/15 S rated tires...NONE. These cars have loads of handling potential when coupled with the proper modern/upgraded parts....

Last edited by jb78L-82; 12-11-2015 at 01:29 PM.

Quick Reply: first drive after front end rebuild