C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

79 Rear diff

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 07:05 AM
Gweesh
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 79 Rear diff

A question for the rear axle gurus here.

Am I missing something or does it seem like a heck of a lot of force gets applied to the side yoke snap ring in corners? Why would they not have designed this IRS with an upper locating strut? Seems like I'm missing something.....
Old 12-15-2015, 08:09 AM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

I agree, but others say the weight of the car prevents any force pulling the side yoke out, only force pushing it in on the center pin. The tips of the yokes can wear from that.

Last edited by SH-60B; 12-15-2015 at 08:10 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:51 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Gweesh

Am I missing something or does it seem like a heck of a lot of force gets applied to the side yoke snap ring in corners? Why would they not have designed this IRS with an upper locating strut? Seems like I'm missing something.....

The only time there is a load on the snap ring is when the car leaves the ground. So unless you're trying to duplicate the Dukes Of Hazard stunts you have nothing to worry about.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:37 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Gweesh

My '69 didn't have the snap rings installed when I bought it in 1979 and I never put them in. Never had a reason too.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:15 AM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Budgetary constraints were a significant factor in the C2/C3 IRS design. There have been aftermarket suspensions introduced that take the half-shaft out of the equation - some thought out better than others - and a number of C4 based IRS refits have been done.

Side yoke endplay does indeed effect dynamic rear camber. And, while I can't put my finger on it just now, indisputable video evidence has been posted previously here on the CF which illustrates during hard cornering there is enough force to noticeably pull the yoke outwards, resulting severe (even dangerous) positive camber at the outer rear wheel.

TSW
The following users liked this post:
pauldana (12-15-2015)
Old 12-15-2015, 10:38 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by SH-60B
I agree, but others say the weight of the car prevents any force pulling the side yoke out, only force pushing it in on the center pin. The tips of the yokes can wear from that.
see video below

Originally Posted by toobroketoretire
The only time there is a load on the snap ring is when the car leaves the ground. So unless you're trying to duplicate the Dukes Of Hazard stunts you have nothing to worry about.
Again... you are so freggin wrong

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
Budgetary constraints were a significant factor in the C2/C3 IRS design. There have been aftermarket suspensions introduced that take the half-shaft out of the equation - some thought out better than others - and a number of C4 based IRS refits have been done.

Side yoke endplay does indeed effect dynamic rear camber. And, while I can't put my finger on it just now, indisputable video evidence has been posted previously here on the CF which illustrates during hard cornering there is enough force to noticeably pull the yoke outwards, resulting severe (even dangerous) positive camber at the outer rear wheel.

TSW

I fought this battle before, and won:-)

Below are the thread to prove my point

C3 clips rear end

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...mike-ward.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-rear-end.html

Last edited by pauldana; 12-15-2015 at 10:42 AM.
TheSkunkWorks (12-15-2015)
Old 12-15-2015, 10:38 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks

TSW
You left the part out about the car being on racing slicks. This wouldn't happen on street tires.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:49 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bashcraft
You left the part out about the car being on racing slicks. This wouldn't happen on street tires.
The above video, although racing, is NOT using slicks

Copy and past from one of the threads pointed out via me

round 3 is here..... new evidence from the holy grail itself... GM...

This was taken from a post from David_at_triumph a forum member commenting on the same thing on a different thread...

seems the "C" clip guys win once again...

Quoit from David:
I also would like to set the record straight on the great snap ring debate. From the 1963 corvette SAE paper explaining the new IRS, there is a cutaway of the differential and the caption reads:

"Suspension thrust in one direction is taken by snap rings located on the splined end of the short integral yoke drive shafts. Thrust in the opposite direction is through the yoke unit to the differential pinion shaft".

Pretty clearly, the engineers were expecting thrust in both directions. And yes, they did intend the snap rings to both hold the load and act as a bearing. Incredulous as it seems, every design engineer is tempted by the forbidden fruit of the snap ring - I am one and I see it all the time. If you have a car like mine with worn side yokes and an otherwise race prepped chassis, you can certainly feel it. I have a long weekend ahead of me (sic). And I did not intend this email to "pile-on" anyone. Often times designers are worked into a spatial corner, probably with a bad initial assumption that a static analysis would indicate, too late to change the surrounding pieces, and viola, what was once an oversight is cured with a skinny groove and the magic of a snap ring, a feature by golly.
The cross-section with the differential and the quote is on this page:

http://www.web-cars.com/corvette/196...er.php?page=10

A conspiracy assumes I actually know someone. I don't. My only motivation is trying to figure out what is happening with my car and eventually how to permanently solve it.

The loading diagram that Mike is after is on page 5 - it only shows the outboard wheel in a turn in a static condition. I think by watching the video it is pretty clear that the loading is anything but static. If you watch carefully, as soon as the tire rolls from its inside edge (where the static load analysis is applied) to a condition where the load transfers to the outer edge due to hard cornering (or when the suspension is in rebound and the tire is camber outward), this pulls the top of the tire outboard and this is when the snap rings limit the motion.

static load diagram:
http://www.web-cars.com/corvette/196...per.php?page=5

camber diagram for rear wheels, anything over 1" of rebound movement results in the rear wheels being camber out.
http://www.web-cars.com/corvette/196...er.php?page=10

Way to go David!
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...utoxing-3.html

Last edited by pauldana; 12-15-2015 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:04 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by pauldana
The above video, although racing, is NOT using slicks
You can call them whatever you want, but they are not your average street tires.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:30 AM
BlackC3vette
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 69 Posts

[QUOTE=bashcraft;1591117527] You can call them whatever you want, but they are not your average street tires.[/QUOTE

It would be great to see your video with street tires preventing those dynamic loads in the corners and prove your opinion.
pauldana (12-15-2015)
Old 12-15-2015, 11:35 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=BlackC3vette;1591117719]
You can call them whatever you want, but they are not your average street tires.[/QUOTE

It would be great to see your video with street tires preventing those dynamic loads in the corners and prove your opinion.
I road race... So yes, very important to me...

guess if your a cruiser, then yes... does not matter,,,,,,

GM put them there for a reason other than just assembly... so they must have though different also..

Last edited by pauldana; 12-15-2015 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:36 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BlackC3vette
Like I said, I've owned my car for 36 years. It's never had the clips installed and I've never once had a camber issue in a hard corner.

BTW, I was 19 when I bought my car, so it has been driven hard.

Last edited by bashcraft; 12-15-2015 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:40 AM
BlackC3vette
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 69 Posts

Like I said, I've owned my car for 36 years. It's never had the clips installed and I've never once had a camber issue in a hard corner.

Does that mean no cool video?
Old 12-15-2015, 11:43 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Ever competitively raced? Get that on a track and in a corner, and you will be off the track in a bad way...

sure you had a lot of fun as a kid like i did:-) but it is not safe to have this happen...

if Trackdog2 (mike) chimes in, he will verify my view... and he is well known here as the authority on rear ends...

if you read the other post i showed, you will find he agrees with me, as do several others that work in the area.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:50 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by pauldana
Ever competitively raced? Get that on a track and in a corner, and you will be off the track in a bad way...

sure you had a lot of fun as a kid like i did:-) but it is not safe to have this happen...

if Trackdog2 (mike) chimes in, he will verify my view... and he is well known here as the authority on rear ends...

if you read the other post i showed, you will find he agrees with me, as do several others that work in the area.
My point is, this isn't an issue with street tires. Racing tires are a completely different story but you guys don't seem to comprehend that. Or maybe you're so intent on "winning the argument", that you just ignore it and hope no one notices.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:58 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

My point is, this isn't an issue with street tires. Racing tires are a completely different story but you guys don't seem to comprehend that. Or maybe you're so intent on "winning the argument", that you just ignore it and hope no one notices.

Maybe not 15" truck tires that they offer for our vettes now.... but ANY modern handling tire with a tread ware below 300 will do this,,, does not have to be a slick...

So, again,,, for those 15" C3 cruisers, fine... to anyone wanting to have performance and moved into a 17 or 18" rim ..... no....
Old 12-15-2015, 12:04 PM
76Rat
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Can you explain exactly why it would not be a problem with street tires?

Get notified of new replies

To 79 Rear diff

Old 12-15-2015, 12:06 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

I`m not a diff guru (I`ll leave that to Mike & Gary) but I would never dream of driving any Corvette without side yoke clips.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:11 PM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by redvetracr
I`m not a diff guru (I`ll leave that to Mike & Gary) but I would never dream of driving any Corvette without side yoke clips.
What do you think would happen if you did?
Old 12-15-2015, 12:18 PM
homestead
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

I wouldn't want my car even thinking of doing that on the street or racing with street tires or slicks! It just looks unsafe...

Quick Reply: 79 Rear diff