C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure sender connection?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 11:23 AM
wheatpj
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Oil Pressure sender connection?

Four bolts, two fuel lines, and the oil pressure sending connection and the LS5 (1971) is ready to lift out. I’m going to disconnect the oil pressure sender at the oil filter, but the setup (copper line and all) looks rather delicate. Any precautions or tips for getting it off without damage.

Also, any reminders and tips about things I may have overlooked prior to the lift are also appreciated. All the external components (including carb and distributor) have been removed and openings blocked. I am removing the engine w/ trans using a 2 ton lift and a quality leveler attached to the accessory bolt holes in the heads. Grade 8 bolts of course, engaged to at least ¾ of an inch.

Thanks - Pat
Old 01-01-2016, 11:34 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

If you're not planning on overhauling the transmission its much easier to leave the transmission in and just pull the engine.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:55 PM
wheatpj
Racer

Originally Posted by wheatpj
Four bolts, two fuel lines, and the oil pressure sending connection and the LS5 (1971) is ready to lift out. I’m going to disconnect the oil pressure sender at the oil filter, but the setup (copper line and all) looks rather delicate. Any precautions or tips for getting it off without damage.

Also, any reminders and tips about things I may have overlooked prior to the lift are also appreciated. All the external components (including carb and distributor) have been removed and openings blocked. I am removing the engine w/ trans using a 2 ton lift and a quality leveler attached to the accessory bolt holes in the heads. Grade 8 bolts of course, engaged to at least ¾ of an inch.

Thanks - Pat
What about getting the oil sender off without damaging it?
Old 01-01-2016, 09:03 PM
flyeri
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

What about getting the oil sender off without damaging it?
Like Alan says, flare wrenches if you have them. There is no sending unit as with an electric system. Just a brass fitting threaded into the block above the oil filter and a fitting for the line to connect. Get the line disconnected and remove the other fittings from the block with a box end wrench. All of the fittings can be easily replaced if you scuff them up.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:58 PM
wheatpj
Racer

Originally Posted by flyeri
Like Alan says, flare wrenches if you have them. There is no sending unit as with an electric system. Just a brass fitting threaded into the block above the oil filter and a fitting for the line to connect. Get the line disconnected and remove the other fittings from the block with a box end wrench. All of the fittings can be easily replaced if you scuff them up.

I have the flare wrenches. My main is twisting the copper line during the removed process. The connection between the small and larger flare nut looks semi-permanent (see pic). There is a midstream connection that looks a little more forgiving. The last thing I want to do is run a new line all the way to the back of the oil pressure gauge. That would a real PITA.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:19 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

If it were me, I would hold the mid section with a wrench and loosen the smaller. Be sure to keep the copper line centered as best as you can to keep from twisting the line.
The following users liked this post:
wheatpj (01-01-2016)
Old 01-01-2016, 10:29 PM
wheatpj
Racer

Originally Posted by Eddie 70
If it were me, I would hold the mid section with a wrench and loosen the smaller. Be sure to keep the copper line centered as best as you can to keep from twisting the line.
Thanks, That didn't occur to me. I was going to try to hold the small nut stationary and twist the larger. Your way is probably less susceptible to damage. Fingers crossed. If I damage the copper line, I guess I will try to get away with replacing from the midstream connection back to the block.

Last edited by wheatpj; 01-01-2016 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:37 PM
wheatpj
Racer

Thanks, That didn't occur to me. I was going to try to hold the small nut stationary and twist the larger. Your way is probably less susceptible to damage. Fingers crossed. If I damage the copper line, I guess I will try to get away with replacing from the midstream connection back to the block.
Came right off without a hitch. Engine and trans out too; that wasn't hard either. The worst part was trying to get the motor into the cradle. I rounded one of the motor mount bolts. Fortunately, it was the bottom one. I was able to bend the motor mount back and forth until it broke, which gave access for the cradle to accept the top two motor bolt holes. I'll leave the rounded bolt to the machine shop when the engine is rebuilt.

Thanks everyone.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:43 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I was able to bend the motor mount back and forth until it broke, .

Thanks everyone.
Holy Cats!! Remind me to not **** you off!!
Old 01-04-2016, 10:41 AM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,130 Likes on 733 Posts

Did you use a lift or just rip it out..

congrats

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Pressure sender connection?

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure sender connection?