C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C hoses too close to exhaust manifold on my '73

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 04:10 PM
mardyn
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Default A/C hoses too close to exhaust manifold on my '73

Of the 1001 things left to do on my '73 project.... the A/C hoses coming out of the rear off the compressor are too close the exhaust manifold for my liking.

A prior owner has wrapped the really close one with some anti-heat insulation like you see on a header tube, but it's not very effective in the application.

Just wondering what solutions the C3 community has come up with to rectify this problem.

I'd love to have a serpentine belt set up with a newer style rotary compressor but not really sure where to start with such a change...

Suggestions or comments appreciated.

mardyn

Last edited by mardyn; 03-07-2016 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:31 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

Do you have headers or the stock exhaust manifold? If stock have you considered reinstalling the shields.
http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1957-1982.html
Old 03-08-2016, 08:32 AM
ED DINAPOLI
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mardyn
Of the 1001 things left to do on my '73 project.... the A/C hoses coming out of the rear off the compressor are too close the exhaust manifold for my liking.

A prior owner has wrapped the really close one with some anti-heat insulation like you see on a header tube, but it's not very effective in the application.

Just wondering what solutions the C3 community has come up with to rectify this

I'd love to have a serpentine belt set up with a newer style rotary compressor but not really sure where to start with such a change...

Suggestions or comments appreciated.

mardyn

This has been a problem with 70's Corvettes with AC, even with stock manifolds. My experience on my 72 there was originally a high density foam wrapped around the hose next to the exhaust. I had my hose replaced about 20 years ago and have not had it replaced since. Only solution is to keep replacing the hose and when replaced try to move as far away from the exhaust as possible.
Ed
Old 03-08-2016, 10:42 AM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Looks like the PO has done just about everything possible already. I would leave as is.

Or it may be possible for a AC shop to weld new angle fittings to the outlet manifold on the compressor, or swap a hose with a bend on the end.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:10 PM
mardyn
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I was thinking that next time I have the system open, I might try and add a 45* union into the a/c hose to angle it away from the manifold...

Maybe some temporary shielding would be in order for a quick fix 'til then...

mardyn

Get notified of new replies

To A/C hoses too close to exhaust manifold on my '73

Quick Reply: A/C hoses too close to exhaust manifold on my '73