C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with selecting dash and kickpanel speakers

Old 03-12-2016, 04:44 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Help with selecting dash and kickpanel speakers

I’m not very tech savvy when it comes to auto audio so I would appreciate advice on selecting speakers for both the dash pad, (I assume they’re 4”x6”) and the kick panel (I assume they’re also 4”x6”) speakers. At this point I’m not adding a subwoofer. When it comes time for a subwoofer I’ll most likely add another amp dedicated for it.
The head unit and amp was given to me by my son and the speakers I already purchased.

What I have already.

Head unit - Alpine CDA-9886 http://www.manualslib.com/manual/249...?page=3#manual

Amplifier - JVC KS-AX7300 http://www.manualslib.com/manual/814...00.html#manual

Speakers - Alpine SPR-69 2-Way 6" x 9" http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/spr-69/

Car - 75 Coupe.

Budget - $150 per each set (total $300.00)

I would appreciate some suggestions on the dash pad (hidden/undermount with no grill) and kick panel speakers (hidden/recess with no grill) and I don’t want to cut into the door panels. I would mount them flush under the dash and kick panels.

Thank you.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:14 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

I would only use the dash speaker area for a tweeter as part of a component speaker setup with the matching shallow 6-1/2" or 5-1/4 round in the kick panels. I wouldn't use 6x9 in the rear but install a sub instead.
The following 2 users liked this post by resdoggie:
7t2vette (03-13-2016), Maymyvetteliveforevr (03-13-2016)
Old 03-13-2016, 10:56 AM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Thanks for the reply redoggie.

The reason for the rear 6"x9"'s in the rear is I like a full sound and didn't like the original dash pad with added kick panel speakers before.

As for components, I'd be interested in tweeters only in the dash pad, but don't know enough to select a certain brand and model.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-13-2016, 12:37 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

I have Pioneer speakers in the dash, I forget the dimension but you can measure the speaker you have or the hole. Very important to have a shallow magnet and the tweeter doesn't stick out too high from the main speaker so you can get the dash screen back on.

I have 5in round JVC's in my kickpanels. You need another shallow magnet here too and you have to cut a hole in the plastic kickpanel and then you put the speaker cover over that.

Then I have Bose 301's in the rear.
The following users liked this post:
Maymyvetteliveforevr (03-14-2016)
Old 03-13-2016, 01:06 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

I have had speakers in the dash and I have had them in the kick panel.In the dash they sound good with a lot of highs.but in the kick panel I think you can put in a better speaker with more of a magnet and get more of a lower sound from it .If you add a sub that changes everything.You have to play around a litte bit to find the sound that you want .
Old 03-13-2016, 02:02 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by resdoggie
I would only use the dash speaker area for a tweeter as part of a component speaker setup with the matching shallow 6-1/2" or 5-1/4 round in the kick panels. I wouldn't use 6x9 in the rear but install a sub instead.

This is the correct answer; the interior cabin of these cars is quite small, and if you have a good set of amplifier driven component speakers in the front, there is no need for rear full range speakers - if you also have a sub(s).

Since you are local to me, you are welcome to listen to my system any time you want to judge for yourself. I have:

- MTX 5 1/4" component set with the mid driver in the door and the tweeter in the dash
- 2 Rockford Fosgate 10" subs wired for 2 ohm load
- Rockford Fosgate 4 channel amp; 2 channels driving the front speakers at 4 ohms stereo and 2 channels bridged mono driving the subs at 2 ohms

I placed my mids in the doors because I found I liked the front soundstage better with them there as opposed to the kick panels. Wherever you place the mids, going with as big a driver as possible is better - in this case, if you can fit a 6 1/2" mid driver where you decide to put it, that would be better. I couldn't fit a 6 1/2" in the door, so I went with a 5 1/4" mid driver. Whatever you buy, you will also have to make sure that the depth of the driver will fit where you want to put it.

Don't waste your time or money on any 4x6 speaker, they are all terrible.

You can use your 6x9's in the rear until you add a sub.

Here is a decent 5 1/4" set in your price range:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Rockford-Fosg...gAAOSwmmxW4uI9

It's been awhile Frank, I hope to see you driving your vette this year!!

Old 03-13-2016, 02:35 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Royal Canadian Navy

There is no need to cut up your kick panels if you choose the right speakers. I have shallow mount 6-1/2" round Infinity's behind the kick panels. To get them to fit, I needed to trim some metal off the speaker frame with a dremel. Not a lot was needed. This is far easier than trying to get a speaker in the left dash that won't produce a sound as good as the kick panel speakers.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:32 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Thanks everyone for the replies.
Originally Posted by MotorHead
Very important to have a shallow magnet and the tweeter doesn't stick out too high from the main speaker so you can get the dash screen back on.

I have 5in round JVC's in my kickpanels. You need another shallow magnet here too and you have to cut a hole in the plastic kickpanel and then you put the speaker cover over that.
Thanks for the heads up on the shallow speakers in the kick plate, Do you have a model number of the JVC's?
Originally Posted by terry82
In the dash they sound good with a lot of highs.but in the kick panel I think you can put in a better speaker with more of a magnet and get more of a lower sound from it.
I understood that a bigger magnet would cause a problem with fit.
Originally Posted by 7t2vette
I have:

- MTX 5 1/4" component set with the mid driver in the door and the tweeter in the dash
- Rockford Fosgate 4 channel amp; 2 channels driving the front speakers at 4 ohms stereo and 2 channels bridged mono driving the subs at 2 ohms

I placed my mids in the doors because I found I liked the front soundstage better with them there as opposed to the kick panels. Wherever you place the mids, going with as big a driver as possible is better - in this case, if you can fit a 6 1/2" mid driver where you decide to put it, that would be better. I couldn't fit a 6 1/2" in the door, so I went with a 5 1/4" mid driver. You can use your 6x9's in the rear until you add a sub.

I like the idea of components so I believe that's my best best re quality.

Over 40 years ago I cut the fiberglass in the rear deck for 6"x9" and am stuck with them now so I'll stick with 6"x9" in the rear. I want as much of the rear compartment as I can therefore I was going to eliminate a sub based on space requirements.

If I add a sub I would need to maybe add another amp, which I already have but would need to find more room to mount it which may cause a problem.

I assume you have one amp for 2 Rockford Fosgate 10" subs and the MTX 5 1/4" component. Do you have a model number for the components?

I think I'm going to go with 6.5" in the door as I don't want to cut up the door panels. Any suggestion on model numbers?

If I'm mounting tweeters in the dash pads, I'll have to find a way to secure them to the 4"x6" openings.

I've got maybe 60 hours worth of work and maybe $1000.00 more in parts I need to purchase, but yes I hope to be out more this year as the Vette wasn't road worthy till late last summer.

I'd love to hear your system Bruce, but I'm trying to order the speakers in the next week for pick up in Niagara Falls NY first week of April.

I hope to have made a decision within a week.

Conclusion, it looks as though I'm going to be looking for 6.5" components, with matching tweeters? If so the budget is max $300.00 Canadian so that's $225.00 U.S.

Last edited by Maymyvetteliveforevr; 03-14-2016 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:40 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Royal Canadian Navy

Here are two places where I've ordered from in the past for my audio gear. No issues with either one regarding service/shipping.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/

https://gibbyselectronicsupermarket.ca/
Maymyvetteliveforevr (03-15-2016)
Old 03-14-2016, 04:40 PM
colesweat
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the correct answer; the interior cabin of these cars is quite small, and if you have a good set of amplifier driven component speakers in the front, there is no need for rear full range speakers - if you also have a sub(s).

Since you are local to me, you are welcome to listen to my system any time you want to judge for yourself. I have:

I placed my mids in the doors because I found I liked the front soundstage better with them there as opposed to the kick panels. Wherever you place the mids, going with as big a driver as possible is better - in this case, if you can fit a 6 1/2" mid driver where you decide to put it, that would be better. I couldn't fit a 6 1/2" in the door, so I went with a 5 1/4" mid driver. Whatever you buy, you will also have to make sure that the depth of the driver will fit where you want to put it.

Don't waste your time or money on any 4x6 speaker, they are all terrible.

You can use your 6x9's in the rear until you add a sub.

Here is a decent 5 1/4" set in your price range:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Rockford-Fosg...gAAOSwmmxW4uI9

Were in the door are you placing the speakers? what did you do to the door panel?
Old 03-14-2016, 10:45 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Frank, please see my replies in blue:

Originally Posted by Maymyvetteliveforevr
Over 40 years ago I cut the fiberglass in the rear deck for 6"x9" and am stuck with them now so I'll stick with 6"x9" in the rear. I want as much of the rear compartment as I can therefore I was going to eliminate a sub based on space requirements.

If you are not planning on adding a sub, PLEASE seal off the rear of your 6x9's; not only protect them from the elements, but more importantly to improve the bass response. If not with some sort of enclosure, at the very least get a set of XTC foam speaker baffles.

If I add a sub I would need to maybe add another amp, which I already have but would need to find more room to mount it which may cause a problem.

You could use your 4 channel amp to run 4 speakers and a sub(s); the front and rear would be wired to the same 2 channels, and then the sub(s) on the other 2 channels. Your amp would need to be capable of running at 2 ohms, and your front/rear fader control would then be between the 4 speakers and the sub(s).

I assume you have one amp for 2 Rockford Fosgate 10" subs and the MTX 5 1/4" component. Do you have a model number for the components?

My 5 1/4" components are MTX Thunder series.

I think I'm going to go with 6.5" in the door as I don't want to cut up the door panels. Any suggestion on model numbers?

I'm confused! Are the front speakers going in the door or kickpanels?!!?

If I'm mounting tweeters in the dash pads, I'll have to find a way to secure them to the 4"x6" openings.

I mounted mine using metal straps that I bent into the proper shape to hold the tweeters; here is a pic that was taken laying on my back looking up at the passenger side tweeter:

I've got maybe 60 hours worth of work and maybe $1000.00 more in parts I need to purchase, but yes I hope to be out more this year as the Vette wasn't road worthy till late last summer.

Hope to see you out and about!!!

I'd love to hear your system Bruce, but I'm trying to order the speakers in the next week for pick up in Niagara Falls NY first week of April.

You are still welcome to come by anytime Frank!

Conclusion, it looks as though I'm going to be looking for 6.5" components, with matching tweeters? If so the budget is max $300.00 Canadian so that's $225.00 U.S.

If you are mounting them in the kickpanels, will you be mounting them behind the panels, or on the front of them? Either way, you may have to trim some of the metal of the birdcage to accommodate the driver's width, and you will need to very carefully figure out your maximum available installed depth. Mounting the drivers on the front of the panels may make it easier. You will also need to make the rear of the driver sealed off from the front for it to perform properly.

One other thing to consider with components, is where to mount the crossovers; they are not that big, so it's not really a problem, just something to consider. I mounted mine inside the #2 body mount cavity. Here is a pic with the passenger side crossover pulled out:

Originally Posted by colesweat
Were in the door are you placing the speakers? what did you do to the door panel?
My car has power windows, and I found that I could mount the driver where the manual window crank would normally be on the door. Here is a pic:

Last edited by 7t2vette; 03-14-2016 at 11:03 PM.
Maymyvetteliveforevr (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 07:06 AM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Here are two places where I've ordered from in the past for my audio gear. No issues with either one regarding service/shipping.
Thanks for the link.
PLEASE seal off the rear of your 6x9's.
First off, thanks so much for the detailed reply with photos it sure helps.
There is a metal panel that covers the rear speakers (gas tank cover) but the ends are open and I've been wondering how to cover the rear 6x9's, the XTC foam speaker baffles are a good idea, thanks Bruce, I'll see if I can get a set.

You could use your 4 channel amp to run 4 speakers and a sub(s); the front and rear would be wired to the same 2 channels, and then the sub(s) on the other 2 channels. Your amp would need to be capable of running at 2 ohms, and your front/rear fader control would then be between the 4 speakers and the sub(s). I'm going to have to reread that several times to truly understand it, but as for now, I'm going subless.

My 5 1/4" components are MTX Thunder series. Would you happen to have a model number as I can't seem to find the ones you have?

I'm confused! Are the front speakers going in the door or kickpanels?!!? Recess into the kickpanel, so I'll assume 6"'s are too large?

I mounted mine using metal straps that I bent into the proper shape to hold the tweeters; Ok, I get it, the straps won't be hard to make.

You are still welcome to come by anytime Frank! I wouldn't mind dropping by your place one day, I'd like to see your place as I know a lot of magic has been created in your wonderful garage. I believe you're in Whitby/Oshawa area? Maybe Les will show me the way as he lives down around the corner from me now.

If you are mounting them in the kickpanels, will you be mounting them behind the panels.One other thing to consider with components, is where to mount the crossovers Behind the kickpanels, what size would be the largest and yes I can trim inside the kickpanel area. I forgot about the crossover, thanks. Thanks again Bruce.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:27 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Royal Canadian Navy

If you mount in the kick panel, do not trim the bird cage but rather trim the speaker frame or use speaker spacers. 6-1/2" speakers in the kick panels are easily done and behind the kick panel if you use shallow mount speakers. I did it this way.. If you use a tweeter, make a 4x6 plastic backing plate using the oem speaker as a guide and mount the tweeter in your new plate and bolt it in the dash like the original.
Maymyvetteliveforevr (03-16-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 08:41 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Royal Canadian Navy

I found a pic of mine mounted in the kick panel. The kick panel goes over it without bulging. A nice clean install if that's what you're looking for.
Attached Images  
Old 03-15-2016, 11:11 AM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-speakers.html
Old 03-16-2016, 06:39 AM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

If you mount in the kick panel, do not trim the bird cage but rather trim the speaker frame or use speaker spacers. 6-1/2" speakers in the kick panels are easily done and behind the kick panel if you use shallow mount speakers. I did it this way.. If you use a tweeter, make a 4x6 plastic backing plate using the oem speaker as a guide and mount the tweeter in your new plate and bolt it in the dash like the original.
Thanks for the reply, does anyone have model numbers of good quality shallow mount 6.5" component speakers with tweeters?
I found a pic of mine mounted in the kick panel. The kick panel goes over it without bulging. A nice clean install if that's what you're looking for.
Thanks, I just need some recommendations on model numbers.
Thanks for the link, I'll read it after my reply.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:51 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Royal Canadian Navy

These are all advertised as shallow mount. The JBL GTO608C look good.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/viewc..._f_op_627=2356

Or buy Canadian which appears to be a better deal.

https://www.amazon.ca/JBL-GTO608C-6-.../dp/B0024JARH6

Last edited by resdoggie; 03-16-2016 at 11:04 AM.
Maymyvetteliveforevr (03-17-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Help with selecting dash and kickpanel speakers

Old 03-16-2016, 12:40 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Frank, give me a call.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:53 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

These are nice 6 1/2" kick-panel speakers for a reasonable price. They are Polk DB651S; the S for shallow so they do fit.

Last edited by Paul L; 03-16-2016 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:41 AM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

These are all advertised as shallow mount. The JBL GTO608C look good.
Thanks for the links and reply.
Frank, give me a call.
PM replied to.
Originally Posted by paul 74
These are nice 6 1/2" kick-panel speakers for a reasonable price. They are Polk DB651S; the S for shallow so they do fit.
Thanks for the link, correct me if I'm wrong but they're not components?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with selecting dash and kickpanel speakers