C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

U Joints Flange

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 09:52 PM
EricBing
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U Joints Flange

On rear half shafts when i goto install bearing cup on the spicer wheel flange, the flange flexes and wont seat on u joint any tricks for this? Already messed up one new u joint don't wanna try for two, tried the vice routine and a massive c clamp (actually a universal ball joint press). I can get each one to slide in and out but for life of me cant get them to press together. Oh its a 76....

Last edited by EricBing; 03-12-2016 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:31 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

It is nearly impossible to perform this feat without purchasing the Companion Flange Support Plate from VoloVette. I tried. Can't do it.

Actually, you've probably already bent the companion flange. Not a crisis as long as you haven't cracked it.

What I ended up doing is bolting my companion flange down to the Support Plate with a piece of coat hanger behind it so it would "flex" back into shape. If the companion flange is not 'open' enough, it will compress the u-joint once you put it together again and get the clip on.

Don't ask me how I know all this...

Last edited by keithinspace; 03-12-2016 at 10:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
EricBing (03-12-2016)
Old 03-12-2016, 11:03 PM
EricBing
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by keithinspace
It is nearly impossible to perform this feat without purchasing the Companion Flange Support Plate from VoloVette. I tried. Can't do it.

Actually, you've probably already bent the companion flange. Not a crisis as long as you haven't cracked it.

What I ended up doing is bolting my companion flange down to the Support Plate with a piece of coat hanger behind it so it would "flex" back into shape. If the companion flange is not 'open' enough, it will compress the u-joint once you put it together again and get the clip on.

Don't ask me how I know all this...
Support plate on the way............
Old 03-13-2016, 04:17 AM
454Luvr
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by keithinspace
Is there a reason you couldn't remove one of the spindle flanges and use it as a backup?
Old 03-13-2016, 11:12 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by 454Luvr
Is there a reason you couldn't remove one of the spindle flanges and use it as a backup?
You are correct. Two already on the car.

Get notified of new replies

To U Joints Flange

Quick Reply: U Joints Flange