C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power brakes on 68

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 10:16 PM
68conv427
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power brakes on 68

JEGS says it makes a power brake conversion for C3's. Has anyone ever used one of these and does it take as much work to convert as a factory unit or will it bolt right up to standard brake mount?
Old 03-13-2016, 11:14 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

You don't need a kit, you just need a booster and master cylinder and a different brake light switch bracket.

Here is a good link on this.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...er-brakes.html

Here is a copy of my post in that thread.. below that I've added more info that might help you.

Keep in mind; I’m doing this from memory so if anyone wants to add to this feel free!

You will need both the power brake booster and a new master cylinder. Power brake and standard brake master cylinders are different.

The cars with standard brakes have two studs on the firewall; you will need to knock these out of the firewall (they will fall inside the car).

Then using the two upper holes from the studs as a guide, mark the lower holes and drill them for the lower booster holes.

Once you do this, you’ll need to enlarge the hole in the firewall for the rod from the power brake booster. Yes it bolts to a different position on the pedal but doing this is real easy. If you look under your dash you’ll see a round hole on a non power brake car. On a power brake car it was egg looking. The inside reinforcement should for both power and standard had this egg looking hole made in to it and if you look under the dash you’ll see what portion of the fiberglass you’ll need to remove.

The standard brake and power brake lamp switch bracket were different, the power brake one is now available new.https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...er-brake-69-75

Hope this helps, I used to have a detailed sheet somewhere on this when we did a conversion many. .. Many years ago. If I can find this I’ll post it for you.

Willcox Inc.

Below you can see the fiberglass that needs to be removed when doing the conversion.

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 03-13-2016 at 11:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Power brakes on 68