C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door locked shut...help

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 04:12 PM
stephenmsweigart
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door locked shut...help

I read the threads concerning doors that don't open and doors that don't lock....etc. My problem is 1970 driver door locked, wont unlock and door handle does not function. I tried to take the door panel off, everything removed but the one screw near the top outside cover. It cannot be reached because I am unable to remove the molding behind the seat because the 3 screws that need to be removed from theinside door jamb. I have tried jiggling the inside latch between window and panel to no luck. I have sprayed jb blaster on those items that can be seen. At a loss here. How is it possible to remove the remaining panel screw with the door closed??

steve
Old 04-05-2016, 05:28 PM
billsfan
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try a slim jim. Your friendly local cop probably has one. I've never tried one, but they seem to work best on older cars.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:42 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default This usually works.

Try pushing down on this part:

Old 04-05-2016, 08:08 PM
stephenmsweigart
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Peterbuilt
Try pushing down on this part:

thanks....that is probably one point I have not tried pushing down....Ill give a shot.
thanks

thanks....that is probably one point I have not tried pushing down....Ill give a shot.
thanks
Old 04-05-2016, 08:47 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by stephenmsweigart
thanks
Just went thru this worked like a charm. My issue was the outside door handle spring was still intact and appeared to be working just not enough ummmp to pop the lock
Old 04-05-2016, 08:56 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by croaker
Just went thru this worked like a charm. My issue was the outside door handle spring was still intact and appeared to be working just not enough ummmp to pop the lock
There are two springs, one that pushes the chrome flap back up, and one that goes around the shaft of the lever that goes down to open the door. The flap can pop back up, but the door still not open when you push down. When that spring goes, you can't lock or unlock the door and it won't open with either handle. Here's the one that does the work:

Old 04-05-2016, 10:56 PM
bruiser
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 153 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
There are two springs, one that pushes the chrome flap back up, and one that goes around the shaft of the lever that goes down to open the door. The flap can pop back up, but the door still not open when you push down. When that spring goes, you can't lock or unlock the door and it won't open with either handle. Here's the one that does the work:

I had that spring break on my drivers door.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:40 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Mine was intact but, I could open from inside
Old 04-05-2016, 11:47 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by stephenmsweigart
thanks
This works. Roll the window down and use a long screw driver or other stiff rod through the rear part of the window opening. Use a light in one hand to locate the bar in the pic and push down. Once you figure out where the bar is from the top and have done it once it's about a ten second job.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:39 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
This works. Roll the window down and use a long screw driver or other stiff rod through the rear part of the window opening. Use a light in one hand to locate the bar in the pic and push down. Once you figure out where the bar is from the top and have done it once it's about a ten second job.
If it has the door lock anti theft piece of plastic inside the door then it is hard if not impossible to to open with a slim jim.

My '80 had the same problem, I was able to remove the molding that goes up from the door to the center of the Ttop, then I had access to the the one screw on the door you are talking about.
I was able to remove the door panel with the door locked shut. Then I got all new hardware for the inside of the door and it works perfect now.

Get notified of new replies

To Door locked shut...help

Quick Reply: Door locked shut...help