C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NOM 1970 454 rebuild/replace

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 01:18 PM
stephenmsweigart
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NOM 1970 454 rebuild/replace

Bought 1970 454 nom and have discovered bad bearing and rod. I have not really had any run time on the vehicle since purchase and it was making no noise during the test drive. Now with loud knocking noise at the back of the engine, the mechanic dropped the tranny and oil pan and says that someone replaced 1 piston and now has bad rod and bearing. Why would someone replace just one piston if the engine is torn apart. With that in mind, I was told that the engine would need to be rebuilt. My concern is if bubba did the engine work, what other short cuts did he make that I will only discover down the road. I do not know what a rebuild will cost......would it be better to get a crate since its not original??
Old 04-09-2016, 02:24 PM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

If the block and crank are magnafluxed and don't show any damage, rebuilding the engine with full machining of block and crank, reconditioned rods, new pistons, cam(hydraulic flat tappet) and chain, bearings and oil pump should be about $3K (depending on where you live and the size of your mechanic's house). This won't be a Dyno Queen, but after it's tuned properly, it will spin the tires in a rolling 1st gear punch. Lots of fun on the street!
Old 04-09-2016, 04:20 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

It should be cheaper to rebuild it plus if done at a quality shop be better then a crate motor.

I went with a 496 rotating assembly and shop went though everything. Internal balanced and went though the heads.

I went roller conversion as well for peace of mind as a flat lope means starting over.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:03 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by stephenmsweigart
...Why would someone replace just one piston if the engine is torn apart...
No disrespect, but how do you know Bubba did anything? Someone apparently replaced a piston, but that doesn't mean Bubba did it and the engine was not necessarily taken completely down.

The choice of rebuilding what you have or swapping is up to you.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 04-10-2016 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:42 PM
96 lt-4
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Cheaper for a seller to do a "fix" than a full rebuild is one way to look at it.

Nothing wrong with doing a rebuild or a swap.Comes down to what you want out of it and your budget?If numbers do not match then build what you have as you won't be paying extra for parts you already have(block,crank,heads,etc.).
Now is the time to ask yourself what you want out of it and what you have to spend.Consider the added costs of upgrades as well.Hyd roller cam would be worthwhile.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:35 PM
stephenmsweigart
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
No disrespect, but how do you know Bubba did anything? Someone apparently replaced a piston, but that doesn't mean Bubba did it and the engine was not necessarily taken completely down.

The choice of rebuilding what you have or swapping is up to you.
Yea Mike your right.....shouldn't have called him bubba cuz I didn't realize I would be disrespecting anyone,,,,I was only trying to find out what the seasoned owners would do in this situation. The mechanic I had said he didn't understand why only one piston would be replaced when it is torn apart.....yep might of just been someone wanting to get the car running to get rid of it......don't know......just looking for advice and I realize that the choice is up to me....thanks for your help.

steve
Old 04-10-2016, 06:55 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

One piston is usually replaced when a cylinder is damaged and sleeved.
Not uncommon to me.....

Jebby

Get notified of new replies

To NOM 1970 454 rebuild/replace

Quick Reply: NOM 1970 454 rebuild/replace