C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1979 Auto won't turn over..

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 02:35 PM
Drewvious
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1979 Auto won't turn over..

Hey guys, I'm new to the C3 world and am having an issue. I picked this car up about four months ago to do a mild build with, I'm sure I'll have lots of questions. I tried the search and it wasn't too helpful for this issue. I was just starting the car to pull it out of the garage to do some cleaning. While turning the key the car was turning over and then stopped. Nothing.. Will not turn over when you turn the key and no audible click you usually hear when it's a starter solenoid issue. My first thought was a fuse or "starter relay". Everything appears as it was, I do know there is some redneck wiring done in the past. (A new wiring harness is in the cards) Other parts of the car have power, windows, locks etc. Any help someone can provide or point me in the right direction on an existing thread would be great. Thanks!

Last edited by Drewvious; 04-09-2016 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:50 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default Is the battery good?

Could it be that the neutral safety switch is out of adjustment?
With your foot on the brake try moving the shifter into neutral or back and forth in park.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:59 PM
Drewvious
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Peterbuilt
Could it be that the neutral safety switch is out of adjustment?
With your foot on the brake try moving the shifter into neutral or back and forth in park.
I did check that, it is just fine.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:12 PM
Duane4238
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 93 Posts

You don't need a whole lot of power from the battery to operate locks, etc. Your battery could just about be ready to give up. Pull it out and have it load tested at an O'reilly's or Autozone.(It's free) Then if your battery is ok, start from there. I'd put $$ on the battery being bad.
Duane
Old 04-09-2016, 05:57 PM
Blue79
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The wiring to the starter motor has a fusible link in it right by the starter, maybe two or three links, one on each wire. You might want to check see if that did or didn't fry.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:14 PM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Duane4238
You don't need a whole lot of power from the battery to operate locks, etc. Your battery could just about be ready to give up. Pull it out and have it load tested at an O'reilly's or Autozone.(It's free) Then if your battery is ok, start from there. I'd put $$ on the battery being bad.
Duane

If she sat for 4 months, a parasitic drain could take out the battery no problem. A tender or quick disconnect might be in order.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:20 PM
Drewvious
Intermediate

It ended up being one of the wires going to the starter actually. Thanks for the replies and suggestions!

Get notified of new replies

To 1979 Auto won't turn over..

Quick Reply: 1979 Auto won't turn over..