C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1978 L48 a/c vacuum line replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 09:11 AM
wilbed
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1978 L48 a/c vacuum line replacement

I have the Zip vacuum hose kit, and would like to know how to replace the lines going through the fire wall. Should I enlarge the holes in the rubber through-bulkhead connector enough to push the hoses through? Thanks.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:43 AM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

So here is what I did on my 82.... it may be bubba but it worked out well.

I took the grommet out of the firewall and with a razor, sliced the length of the grommet hoses on each hole- mine had three. I was able to spread the holes apart so the hoses run though nicely. This also helped with adjusting (pulling and pushing) as you will need to measure length.

The grommet when relaxed, will fit real snug around the hoses. Plus it made installation a breeze through the fire wall.

Hint; put a light coating of WD40 on the grommet and the opening in the fire wall and it will pop right in.
The following users liked this post:
wilbed (05-28-2016)
Old 05-28-2016, 12:05 PM
wilbed
5th Gear

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
So here is what I did on my 82.... it may be bubba but it worked out well.

I took the grommet out of the firewall and with a razor, sliced the length of the grommet hoses on each hole- mine had three. I was able to spread the holes apart so the hoses run though nicely. This also helped with adjusting (pulling and pushing) as you will need to measure length.

The grommet when relaxed, will fit real snug around the hoses. Plus it made installation a breeze through the fire wall.

Hint; put a light coating of WD40 on the grommet and the opening in the fire wall and it will pop right in.
Thanks for the reply. The kit came with rubber hoses only. Am I to replace all of the silicone lines?
Old 05-28-2016, 12:23 PM
wilbed
5th Gear

I should have asked if I am to replace all of the silicone lines with rubber hoses. It appears to me that the grommet has a 'shoulder' at each of the three holes so that I could just replace the engine side hoses. The under dash hoses are all in good condition. Thanks, again.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:06 PM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Unless they need replacement, why not use the hoses that exit the fire wall and replace only engine compartment hoses?
Old 05-28-2016, 02:17 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

On my 82 there is no shoulder- they are the same line that runs from (whatever) actuator to the other vacuum switch.

The plastic silicone line on my were brittle so I replaced them all.

I did this as part of a heater core replacement so the dash was ripped up to begin with.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:49 PM
wilbed
5th Gear

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
On my 82 there is no shoulder- they are the same line that runs from (whatever) actuator to the other vacuum switch.

The plastic silicone line on my were brittle so I replaced them all.

I did this as part of a heater core replacement so the dash was ripped up to begin with.
I guess I was focused on keeping it as original as possible, so I was surprised that the Zip kit (which I'm satisfied with, by the way) did not include any silicone hoses. This dash is also out for a heater core replacement. I'll follow your instructions and run the new hoses through the grommet.

I've been hired to fix this car and want to do it correctly. Thanks to everyone for your replies!
Old 05-19-2019, 10:07 AM
Danny Halperin
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default grommet thru firewall

Originally Posted by wilbed
I guess I was focused on keeping it as original as possible, so I was surprised that the Zip kit (which I'm satisfied with, by the way) did not include any silicone hoses. This dash is also out for a heater core replacement. I'll follow your instructions and run the new hoses through the grommet.

I've been hired to fix this car and want to do it correctly. Thanks to everyone for your replies!
Hi I'm having the same problem I'm not sure what to do about that grommet and the two hoses that go into it into the firewall so any recommendation since you've been through it
Old 05-19-2019, 09:12 PM
wilbed
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Danny Halperin
Hi I'm having the same problem I'm not sure what to do about that grommet and the two hoses that go into it into the firewall so any recommendation since you've been through it
It's been a while, but I seem to remember running rubber hose on each side of the grommet. Sorry I can't be of more help. The owner sold the car to someone from Denmark, shortly after I posted this...

Get notified of new replies

To 1978 L48 a/c vacuum line replacement

Quick Reply: 1978 L48 a/c vacuum line replacement