C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pump not turning on!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 09:47 PM
antoniov1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel pump not turning on!!

I have a 82 and I finally figured out what my problem was on it not turning over. It was the starter! So now it turns over but I still haven't gotten the fuel pump to turn on. So that's my next question and hopefully last!! What steps should I go through to see why. I checked the fuse box and it is good. I even tried this trick I read of by unplugging the oil switch behind the intake. And it still doesn't prime the fuel system. Any suggestions??! I'm so ready to finally get it started.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:49 PM
antoniov1
Racer

Also I unplugged the connector which connects to the fuel sending unit right behind the license plate and I see that I have battery voltage there.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:58 AM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

I have an '82 as well...

When was the last time you had the car running?

If you have a helper, put your ear on the open gas tank while he turns the ignition on. If you hear a soft whir/buzz then your fuel pump has engaged.

If you are getting voltage at the wiring harness and with your key in the "run" position and cant hear a buzz, thenext thing to do is to pop out the fuel sending unit with the attached fuel pump.

If the pump is bad, PLEASE consider getting the 85-89 fuel pump-- the higher pressure will make your car happy.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:12 PM
antoniov1
Racer

The car has never ran I bought it in pieces. Ok this is weird all if a sudden my fuel pump is working!! Lol but I'm not getting fuel to the engine. I took the line off to the fuel filter and its bone dry. What do I do now??
Old 06-06-2016, 07:57 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Sorry, I'm a bit confused...

If your pump is working as you say, then it should pull fuel from the tank and push it up front.

If you pump is working and you are not getting fuel moving, could your fuel lines be clogged?

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel pump not turning on!!

Quick Reply: Fuel pump not turning on!!