C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Shock Absorber Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 07:07 AM
ykf7b0
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 44 Posts
Default New Shock Absorber Install

I just ordered new shocks for my 76 and I am seriously looking forward to getting them installed. I bought the car two years ago but I do believe the originals are still on the car. I have read many recommendations for Bilstein shocks and I found what I think was a really good deal on a set of Bilstein Heavy Duty and they are on the way to me. I have also read that the removal of the rear shocks can be difficult and I would love to gain some insight on what to expect from all of you who have done the job. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-08-2016, 12:31 PM
mortgageguy
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 115 Posts

Start right now spraying the bolts/nuts with PBblaster. Spray every day until the new ones get here. The upper bolt on the rears are in a tight space. Fronts are cake. Pull the rear tires for better access. Note the position of the washers on the lower rear. Shelve the original shocks if you can. NCRS restorers will need them some day, and will pay.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:18 PM
ykf7b0
Racer

Originally Posted by mortgageguy
Start right now spraying the bolts/nuts with PBblaster. Spray every day until the new ones get here. The upper bolt on the rears are in a tight space. Fronts are cake. Pull the rear tires for better access. Note the position of the washers on the lower rear. Shelve the original shocks if you can. NCRS restorers will need them some day, and will pay.
Thanks! I began the spraying weeks ago and if the rears come off with ease then I will be very grateful. I believe I have read that some were having major issues with removing the rear shocks from the lower mounts and were recommending buying the shock mounts before beginning installation.

Last edited by ykf7b0; 07-08-2016 at 07:20 PM. Reason: wording
Old 07-08-2016, 07:30 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

what you read is that the lower shock mounts are difficult to remove not the shocks themselves, you do not need to remove the lower shock mounts to replace shocks
Old 07-08-2016, 08:03 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Both mine were easy except for missing hardware on one of front shocks
Old 07-08-2016, 10:53 PM
ykf7b0
Racer

Originally Posted by redvetracr
what you read is that the lower shock mounts are difficult to remove not the shocks themselves, you do not need to remove the lower shock mounts to replace shocks
Thanks! I knew the lower mounts typically didn't need removing but I must have been mistaken in reading the rear shock inner bushings had a tendency of completely rusting to the lower shock mount therefore necessitating the need for the new lower mounts. I now have renewed confidence that this job will go smoothly! I will keep the PB Blaster flowing for now.

Last edited by ykf7b0; 07-08-2016 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:18 AM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

I wish I'd have bought stock in PB I use the heck out of it. My Wal Mark runs out all the time.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:12 PM
NothingSpecial
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes the shocks mounts are really ****ing close to the frame is the hard thing. I had more trouble with the fronts than the rears. the fronts i had to use a jack to compress the ****ers while putting them in. The rears I left the cable tie on until i seated the lower part, then "Sniped" the top of it in the mount bracket. put a thick screw driver in the top of the bracket so you can have leverage if you miss the snipe with the bolt going through the hole.

Get notified of new replies

To New Shock Absorber Install

Quick Reply: New Shock Absorber Install