C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 10:56 PM
JLmiller
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help Clutch

I can't seem to get my clutch to engage. First a little history. I have a 1970 350 4 speed. I had my engine rebuilt to a 383. The builder provided me a new fly wheel told me it was required for balance. I have a stock 4 speed transmission. I replace the clutch and pressure plate with a corvette central stock replacement. I put it altogether and had very little clutch petal and had to adjust the linkage almost all the way out to get the petal to feel it was engaging. The clutch is not engaging, I push the clutch in and try to turn the wheel while in gear and they won't turn. I have the car on blocks and turn over the motor with the clutch petal down while in gear and the wheel turn. I tried to engage the clutch with a pipe wrench on the pivot arm and stull not engaging. I have measure the height of the new flywheel and it is the same as my original. I have had the tranny in and out several times and I and stumped.

Suggesting please.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:43 AM
claysmoker
Race Director

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11-'12-'13-'14

My guess is you have the wrong length throwout bearing or the pivot ball in the bellhousing is not set correctly. Maybe both.

Last edited by claysmoker; 07-13-2016 at 12:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JLmiller (07-13-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 09:13 AM
JLmiller
Advanced

I found this post by Lars and it sound like my problem.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-70-454-a.html

Has anyone had a issues with the pressure plate sold by Corvette Central?
Old 07-13-2016, 11:35 PM
wheatpj
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JLmiller
I can't seem to get my clutch to engage. First a little history. I have a 1970 350 4 speed. I had my engine rebuilt to a 383. The builder provided me a new fly wheel told me it was required for balance. I have a stock 4 speed transmission. I replace the clutch and pressure plate with a corvette central stock replacement. I put it altogether and had very little clutch petal and had to adjust the linkage almost all the way out to get the petal to feel it was engaging. The clutch is not engaging, I push the clutch in and try to turn the wheel while in gear and they won't turn. I have the car on blocks and turn over the motor with the clutch petal down while in gear and the wheel turn. I tried to engage the clutch with a pipe wrench on the pivot arm and stull not engaging. I have measure the height of the new flywheel and it is the same as my original. I have had the tranny in and out several times and I and stumped.

Suggesting please.
That is odd that you would have a problem with an OEM style clutch and a flywheel of the same height. I had the same problem with a Ram performance Clutch. I was able to cure the problem with an adjustable pivot ball. You might want to try one. Almost, make sure you have the Z-bar installed correctly. If it is not tight enough, the Z-bar staff will lift when you depress the clutch pedal and you will lose travel at the fork push rod.

Last edited by wheatpj; 07-13-2016 at 11:46 PM. Reason: more content
JLmiller (07-14-2016)
Old 07-14-2016, 01:21 PM
mr mctavish
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed the centerforce df setup, p.plate,disc, t.b. ,however I did not replace piviot ball for t.b fork . I then had same issue as op.
I cut off all but 1 1/2" of thread of " clutch pushrod ?" underhood.
used 1/4" carriage nut, nuts, washers, lock wash. and 1/4" threaded rod, - fully and easily adjustable, solved problem.

JLmiller (07-14-2016)
Old 07-14-2016, 01:38 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,891 Likes on 2,563 Posts

I found this post by Lars and it sound like my problem.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-70-454-a.html

Has anyone had a issues with the pressure plate sold by Corvette Central?
Post #18 is excellent reading.......and sounds like what you are going through.
The McLeod is an excellent piece for the money.
I cannot remember exactly.....but I do not think the fork ball pivot is adjustable.......if it was....you could cheat it out a bit to gain more fulcrum. Just a thought.

Jebby
JLmiller (07-14-2016)
Old 07-14-2016, 06:08 PM
JLmiller
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jebbysan
Post #18 is excellent reading.......and sounds like what you are going through.
The McLeod is an excellent piece for the money.
I cannot remember exactly.....but I do not think the fork ball pivot is adjustable.......if it was....you could cheat it out a bit to gain more fulcrum. Just a thought.

Jebby
what do you think about me just putting the old pressure plate back in.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:28 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

what do you think about me just putting the old pressure plate back in.
I say remove it and compare the height of the diaphragm fingers....
I am not big on putting used stuff back in......but it is your call.

Jebby
JLmiller (07-15-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 09:34 AM
JLmiller
Advanced

I say remove it and compare the height of the diaphragm fingers....
I am not big on putting used stuff back in......but it is your call.

Jebby
I have is out the are with in a mm of the same height.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:58 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

I have is out the are with in a mm of the same height.
Hmmm.....ok.....at this point you need to see if the throwout bearing is the correct one......there is a long and short of these.
I have the short one in my own car....but that may not be true for all C3 sticks......
I assume your old clutch worked fine......so there are only a few thing it could be.
If the pressure plate height is the same......look at the old throw out bearing and (do not laugh) make sure the disc is not in backward......you would be surprised how easy this is to do.
These are just some ideas.......let us know what you find.

Jebby
Old 07-15-2016, 11:07 AM
JLmiller
Advanced

Hmmm.....ok.....at this point you need to see if the throwout bearing is the correct one......there is a long and short of these.
I have the short one in my own car....but that may not be true for all C3 sticks......
I assume your old clutch worked fine......so there are only a few thing it could be.
If the pressure plate height is the same......look at the old throw out bearing and (do not laugh) make sure the disc is not in backward......you would be surprised how easy this is to do.
These are just some ideas.......let us know what you find.

Jebby
Agree I have a the short bearing also, the new one is the same as the old one I have. I am confident I have it in the correct direction. The larger side is facing the pressure plate. I have been carful to put it in the fork correctly but it does seem to want to move when I align with the center. I think a longer bearing could help. I also think a longer pivot ball could help. I have ordered a adjustable pivot ball.

Get notified of new replies

To Help Clutch

Quick Reply: Help Clutch