C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/c

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 08:50 PM
Bond007
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default A/c

So 2years ago I had my A/C converted to 134, I tried using it today and it would not engage figured it was out of refrigerant possible leak somewhere maybe so went to my garage guys to get a charge. When they started to hook up their hoses they found that the high side valve was installed on the low pressure and that they did not want to charge it and take a chance on ruining the compressor. Why would the fellow who converted over put the high side valve on the low side? Can someone shed some light on what do I do next
Thank You
Old 07-20-2016, 09:10 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 582 Likes on 504 Posts

I could be as simple as putting the right retro-fit coupler on it. Most can be removed without losing the charge because it just screws onto the r12 port and uses the same schrader valve. Can you take some pictures and post them?
Old 07-20-2016, 09:12 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Year please?

Was it working before or if ever?

Hard to believe that backwards would work as the refrigerant flow just would not work.

Is it possible that (if your system worked int he past) that your new team got mixed up?
Old 07-20-2016, 09:13 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Bond007
So 2years ago I had my A/C converted to 134, I tried using it today and it would not engage figured it was out of refrigerant possible leak somewhere maybe so went to my garage guys to get a charge. When they started to hook up their hoses they found that the high side valve was installed on the low pressure and that they did not want to charge it and take a chance on ruining the compressor. Why would the fellow who converted over put the high side valve on the low side? Can someone shed some light on what do I do next
Thank You
Probably no recourse from whomever hosed you..(sorry I couldn't resist)If your reg shop has folks who are knowlgable-trained certified on A/c system..Find an A/C SHOP who DOES have the people..
..Have them pop the hood and look it over..specifically..belts/ hoses and fittings obvioius
leaks..not sure which upgrade kit was used but SEE if a A/C tech spots the SCHradwer valve-hose stuffJim
Don't tell them anything at this point..Jim

Last edited by jim in oregon; 07-20-2016 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:38 PM
cobrachuck
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts

I agree with Jim above
Get a 2nd opinion on this it does not sound right. Do not give out history.
Chuck
Old 07-20-2016, 09:51 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Default really - post some pictures

as mentioned earlier iy could be as easy as swapppping adapter fittings

Thank You
Old 07-20-2016, 09:59 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Thank You
ONE QUESTION THAT occurred to me after my last post..
CURIOUS IF when the uprgade was done 2 YRs back????DID the system function and cool properly after the upgrade according to work done and to your satisfaction/..Shop still in business..IF SO..contact them and ask IF THEY would look at the retro A/C YOU BOUGHT FROM THEM BACK Then to see what the problem is..You have paperwork from the past..which IF they are repuarable should help..Jim
FWIW my fact A/C was converted last year to R134A..
It finally function properly..AFTER I PULLED CONSOLE BOARDS OFF,GLOVE BOX INTERIOR OUT and ADJUSTED the cable turnbuckle so when cold is chosen the bypass valve colses to provide vacuum to close the underhoot heater solenoid S IT simultaneously open ductwork doors for cold air or mix or vent...Another thread..Jim
Old 07-20-2016, 10:04 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

ONE final Q ?? before I STOP,,
DID YOU AND OR ANOTHER person qualified i'd hope.Do the conversion yourselves.?
HARD to imagine any cert A/C tech not knowing hi from low side Jim
Old 07-21-2016, 07:22 AM
ykf7b0
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 44 Posts

Is it even possible to install high side fitting to low side port?
Old 07-21-2016, 07:49 AM
Bond007
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes the system did work after conversion. After work last night went to parts store and they suggested another shop in town that handles a lot of A/C work so I made an appointment for Monday. Will let all know what was found and what was done to solve the issue, the shop that did the conversion is on vacation so I can't ask anyone till next week, anyway will now get another set of eyes on it.
Thank You for all the input.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:48 AM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ykf7b0
Is it even possible to install high side fitting to low side port?
Yes, it is. R12 ports are the same both high and low. There is one big issue with screwing the suction side port on the high side: you can't charge they system with one of those parts store recharge kits because you can't charge the system from the high side.

You could still charge the system with a gauge set. All you do is open the manifold from the high side to feed the flip-flopped ports. Of course, you can't get a good read on the evaporator performance from the high side gauge, but you can put refrigerant in the system.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:04 AM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by gerry72
Yes, it is. R12 ports are the same both high and low. There is one big issue with screwing the suction side port on the high side: you can't charge they system with one of those parts store recharge kits because you can't charge the system from the high side.

You could still charge the system with a gauge set. All you do is open the manifold from the high side to feed the flip-flopped ports. Of course, you can't get a good read on the evaporator performance from the high side gauge, but you can put refrigerant in the system.

But, couldn't you just temporarily switch the high/low hoses on the manifold gauge set to use the low side gauge?

Last edited by 71 Green 454; 07-21-2016 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:10 AM
gerry72
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 71 Green 454

But, couldn't you just temporarily switch the high/low hoses on the manifold gauge set to use the low side gauge?

Well, yeah. Duh, just didn't think of the easy fix.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:32 AM
Bond007
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

As I mentioned earlier will be in the shop Monday with the car however, curious, can anyone show me where the low side A/C port is located on my 76?
Thank You
Old 07-22-2016, 09:55 AM
gerry72
Safety Car

Not exactly but I can tell you which line you're looking for when tracing the charge port. The suction (low) line is always the larger of the two A/C lines out of the evaporator and runs to the compressor. The reason for this is the suction (low) line is carrying the evaporated vapor back to the compressor and has a much larger volume than the liquid line, which feeds refrigerant to the evaporator. The discharge (liquid) line out of the compressor will always run to the condenser (the radiator thing) at the front of the car and always enters the condenser from the top. Th high side line gets much smaller when it leaves the condenser at the bottom since it is (we hope) carrying the refrigerant condensed into a liquid. In C3's the ports are usually on the manifold bolted to the compressor. But even if it is not like that on your car, you now know how to identify the suction (low) and high side.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:43 AM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

As I mentioned earlier will be in the shop Monday with the car however, curious, can anyone show me where the low side A/C port is located on my 76?
Thank You
If yours looks like this one, the blue cap is the low side and the red cap is the high side.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:18 PM
Bond007
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you very much 71 green 454 that is exactly what I am looking for. Yipee Beautiful engine detail I'm jealous.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:18 PM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Thank you very much 71 green 454 that is exactly what I am looking for. Yipee Beautiful engine detail I'm jealous.
Glad it helped....that engine is not mine, I just found it for reference.
My '71 is a BB.

Get notified of new replies

To A/c

Quick Reply: A/c