C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top End Kits

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 02:08 PM
Cheeto
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top End Kits

Hi, looking for a top end kit. Stock hood, L-48 - Manual Trans
I cant plant a crate motor right now $$ However ,I can budget $2 K for some bolt on fun. I thought I had it ,with the Edelbrock Kit # 2022.Matched components ,til I was informed intake was too high for my hood. Need some help with putting this together. Thanks

Last edited by Cheeto; 07-29-2016 at 12:18 AM. Reason: add on
Old 07-23-2016, 07:21 PM
Cool95vette
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 88 Posts

Looking at that Edelbrock's website it says that kit makes 315 hp. That's not much power for $2000.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:58 PM
Cheeto
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Cool95vette
Looking at that Edelbrock's website it says that kit makes 315 hp. That's not much power for $2000.
I have 180 HP now. And you forgot to say what I can get for bolt on power for $ 2000. Thank You
Old 07-23-2016, 08:39 PM
Cool95vette
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 88 Posts

I used to have an Edelbrock performer intake with an Edelbrock quadrajet and it fit under my hood. You could put a Performer intake on with the rest of the components in the kit. I don't think it would make that much of a difference in the power numbers.
Old 07-24-2016, 01:55 AM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Cnc-motorsports.com
Old 07-24-2016, 05:49 AM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Don't want to derail the conversation, but if you haven't changed exhaust system on your 77 it is a huge HP killer. You'll want to factor in new dual exhaust along with any engine modifications or you will not get the advertised HP figures from a "top end" kit.

Since you have a tight budget you might think about something along this line.
Chevrolet Performance 10185063 - Chevrolet Performance ZZ4 Intake Manifolds
Intake Manifold, ZZ4, Dual Plane, Aluminum, Natural, Square/Spread Bore, Chevy, Small Block, Each $238.97

Trick Flow Specialties TFS-30310001 - Trick Flow® Super 23® 175 Cylinder Heads for Small Block Chevrolet
Cylinder Head, Super 23® 175, Fast As Cast®, Assembled, 1.250 in. Springs, Chevy, Small Block, Each $550.00

Total $1,338.97
That manifold is designed to work with small cross section L98 heads so it should work with those heads (you should double check port dimensions to make sure), will work with your factory carb, and it fits under my 76's stock hood. That would leave you some money for gaskets, cam shaft kit, rockers, and dual exhaust (~$400).

It won't be a killer combo, but with the correct cam it will be a big step up from your stock L48.

Last edited by Jason Staley; 07-24-2016 at 06:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Cheeto (07-24-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 08:55 AM
mobird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 134 Posts

Hey I'm in a sorta similar situation - making power on a budget.

The very first thing I would do is ditch your stock exhaust manifolds and get full length headers with true dual exhaust. This is worth a substantial amount of horsepower.

Next, you need some good flowing heads (I'm considering the NKB heads from Skip White. Some people aren't big on Skip White, but essentially he buys bare cast aluminum heads and then puts some quality valves, springs, and retainers in them. Cost is about $700 a pair), a better cam (the stock L48 cam is crap for making power), and a cheap low-rise dual-plane intake.

You should be able to do all of that for under $2k if you shop smart and it will make quite a bit more than that 310hp edelbrock kit. I would advise you to do some research and ask lots of questions before you buy anything, I'm still learning, but there are a lot of experienced people on this forum who can help you out if you ask nicely.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:11 AM
Cheeto
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by mobird

The very first thing I would do is ditch your stock exhaust manifolds and get full length headers with true dual exhaust. This is worth a substantial amount of horsepower.

Next, you need some good flowing heads (I'm considering the NKB heads from Skip White. Some people aren't big on Skip White, but essentially he buys bare cast aluminum heads and then puts some quality valves, springs, and retainers in them. Cost is about $700 a pair), a better cam (the stock L48 cam is crap for making power), and a cheap low-rise dual-plane intake.

You should be able to do all of that for under $2k if you shop smart and it will make quite a bit more than that 310hp edelbrock kit. I would advise you to do some research and ask lots of questions before you buy anything, I'm still learning, but there are a lot of experienced people on this forum who can help you out if you ask nicely.
Whats your guess on HP gain with headers/dual exhaust ?
Old 07-24-2016, 11:36 AM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 829 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheeto
I have 180 HP now. And you forgot to say what I can get for bolt on power for $ 2000. Thank You
I build an entire 355 4 bolt 375-400hp engine for under 1,500 by buying components used on Craigslist.... For 2 grand you can replace the cam and lifters (around $200) with a performance cam and go with middle of the road performance heads for about 7-800 bucks... A performance intake for $150 and headers and exhaust or sidepipes and still have room for a new carb if you desired... And thats buying everything new not used by shopping by specs not branding... Usually the absolute most expensive single options are suggested..? My opinion is you will get more bang for your buck with all the components mentioned above even if they are middle of the road as far as performance vs spending all that money on say a very expensive set of afrs only to be choking them with the rest of the combination you can't afford to upgrade at that point.

Last edited by augiedoggy; 07-24-2016 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:42 AM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mobird

^^I totally agree.
Old 07-24-2016, 02:12 PM
Cheeto
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Jason Staley
Don't want to derail the conversation, but if you haven't changed exhaust system on your 77 it is a huge HP killer. You'll want to factor in new dual exhaust along with any engine modifications or you will not get the advertised HP figures from a "top end" kit.

Since you have a tight budget you might think about something along this line.
Chevrolet Performance 10185063 - Chevrolet Performance ZZ4 Intake Manifolds
Intake Manifold, ZZ4, Dual Plane, Aluminum, Natural, Square/Spread Bore, Chevy, Small Block, Each $238.97

Trick Flow Specialties TFS-30310001 - Trick Flow® Super 23® 175 Cylinder Heads for Small Block Chevrolet
Cylinder Head, Super 23® 175, Fast As Cast®, Assembled, 1.250 in. Springs, Chevy, Small Block, Each $550.00

Total $1,338.97
That manifold is designed to work with small cross section L98 heads so it should work with those heads (you should double check port dimensions to make sure), will work with your factory carb, and it fits under my 76's stock hood. That would leave you some money for gaskets, cam shaft kit, rockers, and dual exhaust (~$400).

It won't be a killer combo, but with the correct cam it will be a big step up from your stock L48.
OK Good info. How can I be sure with the port dimensions or what do I need to do ?
Old 07-24-2016, 02:44 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In III Veteran

Trick Flow's website say's the 175 heads have 1.230” x 1.990” intake ports. I couldn't find the manifolds port size, but Summit Racing does recommend to use Fel-Pro Gasket Set 1256 with that manifold, which has 1.23" x 1.99" port openings. So that combo probably will work, but I would call Summit, Jegs, or Pace Performance and see if they can confirm that.

Also, Summit Racing has other manifolds too that are more inexpensive, but I can't tell you if they will fit under your stock hood.

Last edited by Jason Staley; 07-24-2016 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:27 PM
Cheeto
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Jason Staley
Trick Flow's website say's the 175 heads have 1.230” x 1.990” intake ports. I couldn't find the manifolds port size, but Summit Racing does recommend to use Fel-Pro Gasket Set 1256 with that manifold, which has 1.23" x 1.99" port openings. So that combo probably will work, but I would call Summit, Jegs, or Pace Performance and see if they can confirm that.

Also, Summit Racing has other manifolds too that are more inexpensive, but I can't tell you if they will fit under your stock hood.
Thanks . I can do some searching around on that. As far as manifold goes I dont need to go more $$ I just need it to work with other parts .Would they be able to point out a cam as well (Internet parts houses)
Old 07-24-2016, 03:39 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In III Veteran

I would research several cam manufacturer's websites and then call their tech lines for advise. They'll probably want to know the following:
  • Desired RPM range you will operate the car in
  • The heads your going to use along with the valve springs
  • Carb type & size
  • Manual or Auto (what stall converter you are going to use)
  • Rear end gear ratio & tire diameter
  • Approx. weight of your car

Trickflow, Edelbrock, GM, Summit Racing, Jegs, .... lots of cams to choose from. Might just call Trickflow and see if they have a cam designed for those particular heads - would reduce chance of getting a mismatched setup. You will want to make sure the cam is compatible with the valve springs to avoid valve train issues.

Last edited by Jason Staley; 07-24-2016 at 03:41 PM.
Cheeto (07-24-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 02:49 PM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

I went with a lunati voodoo 262/268 cam... The 262 and 268 comp cams are also popular for the stock factory gearing in most of the c3 cars.. anything bigger than 268 usually requires a higher than 2000rpm stall converter to work well. for my setup the lunati cam had large performance gains over the comp version in the dyno 2000 software I used with the specs on my heads.

The advice above about the valve springs is good.
Since my voodoo cam is a flat tappet and has an aggressive lobe design I opted to buy the recommended springs from lunati for the valves.
Cheeto (07-26-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 03:30 PM
Cheeto
Heel & Toe

So to use the above Trick Flow heads: Trick Flow cam, 266/272 #31401000 ,Performer intake #2101,new HEI dist. roller rockers,hyd lifters,push rods, hardware ,bolts,gaskets, oh and,Flowtech headers #31106FLT Gonna try and use my stock carb So This is what the Tech worked on today for me
Old 07-27-2016, 01:07 PM
Knerf
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

why wont that intake fit under your hood, not like a performer is much higher if any higher than a stock intake?

Get notified of new replies

To Top End Kits

Old 07-27-2016, 07:52 PM
Cheeto
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Knerf
why wont that intake fit under your hood, not like a performer is much higher if any higher than a stock intake?
OK So , I have a ton of ideas, parts, part #s and so on. Great info from the site as well. So when you stated why wont that intake fit under hood ,,which are you talking about ? Sorry
Old 07-27-2016, 10:12 PM
Knerf
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheeto
OK So , I have a ton of ideas, parts, part #s and so on. Great info from the site as well. So when you stated why wont that intake fit under hood ,,which are you talking about ? Sorry
the one you originally stated in your opening post.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:54 PM
Cheeto
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Knerf
the one you originally stated in your opening post.
Right. I dont know which parts house tech I was speaking to but he found it in his notes that the particular manifold MAY not fit . I asked if it gave a year or other info on it and got NO. So I moved on

Quick Reply: Top End Kits