C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 04:10 PM
gesh2112
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Issue

Hello,

I am new to world of owning a Corvette and this forum. I recently bought a 1974 350 4 speed manual vette. I love it. I would love it even more if I could keep it running.

When I bought the car, it had a bad battery. I replaced it and it worked fine for a little bit. Now it is a 50/50 chance it will start when I try to take it for a ride. I have check the battery and it is fine. Would the starter cause this issue? How can I figure out what may be causing it? I want to try and figure this out on my own without taking it to a mechanic.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:30 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default Hi and welcome!

Need a little more info.
When you try to start your Corvette does the starter and motor turn over with the key in START?

You have a clutch safety switch and if the pedal is not down far enough the starter will not turn on.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:55 PM
gesh2112
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I turn the key, I hear like a light hum but no the start and motor do not try to turn over.

I am placing the petal all the way to the floor but I will check to see if something might be preventing it from connection. I will let you know.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:04 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

OK.
Let's start with the battery. Is it good and fully charged?
Disconnect the + & - terminals and clean the terminals and leave it disconnected for now.
Follow the - terminal to where it connects to the frame and clean that area and reconnect the - terminal.
Go to the starter and confirm that the + terminal at the top of the starter solenoid is clean and tight.
Reinstall the battery terminals and see if that fixed the problem.

If not then with the key in START see if you have 12 volts on the purple/white wire at and into the clutch safety switch.
If yes then see if you have continuity through the clutch switch as you push the pedal down.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...TRkNTFkY2E0NmM

Tell me: Do you have to buckle your seat belts when the car does start?

Get notified of new replies

To Starting Issue

Quick Reply: Starting Issue