C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

p/s leak from pump cap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 07:55 AM
phil81
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Default p/s leak from pump cap?

Hi all,
I have been trying to diagnose a power steering leak on my 80, it always seems to maybe pressurise and leak from the from the pump cap. I Fill the reservoir to the correct level, bleed the air by having the front wheels off the ground turning about 10 times lock to lock. I have access to a vehicle hoist so I can inspect for leaks , letting it running for 20 mins no signs of power steering fluid anywhere, go for a 10 min drive, let it sit for 1/2 hr still no leaks. Next morning a 10 inch puddle of fluid on the ground. Done this twice now. always wet from pump cap running down the side. Just seeing if I'm forgetting something simple before I start pulling things apart.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:36 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by phil81
Hi all,
I have been trying to diagnose a power steering leak on my 80, it always seems to maybe pressurise and leak from the from the pump cap. I Fill the reservoir to the correct level, bleed the air by having the front wheels off the ground turning about 10 times lock to lock. I have access to a vehicle hoist so I can inspect for leaks , letting it running for 20 mins no signs of power steering fluid anywhere, go for a 10 min drive, let it sit for 1/2 hr still no leaks. Next morning a 10 inch puddle of fluid on the ground. Done this twice now. always wet from pump cap running down the side. Just seeing if I'm forgetting something simple before I start pulling things apart.
If you haven't already done so, please post this in the Tech Section so we can have more input on solving your problem.
Jim Shea
Old 08-06-2016, 09:41 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
If you haven't already done so, please post this in the Tech Section so we can have more input on solving your problem.
Jim Shea
Some information on the history of your leak would be helpful. When did the puddle started to appear in the morning? Is this a new pump? Has the cap been replaced? Have hoses been replaced? Are you sure that the puddle is actually power steering fluid?

As you have explained your problem, I just can't think of a reason why the pump cap should leak fluid while resting overnight.

Jim
Old 08-06-2016, 10:22 AM
phil81
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for response Jim , I'm unsure how old the pump is the hoses were replaced a few years ago along with the control valv and ram there is no evidence they leak , just wet on the pump dripping onto the control and on the floor, I own a 81 aswell for the last 16 years and never seen leak (puddle) like this before , I wiĺl try the cap from my 81 to eliminate that first.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:51 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Possibly it is being overfilled. After it burps out the fluid, just drive it again and see if the PS works OK.

Later, check the level when HOT from driving.

Get notified of new replies

To p/s leak from pump cap?

Quick Reply: p/s leak from pump cap?