C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo C3 76 Corvette Project, LSx, 4l80E, 4 link, real street driver and strip car

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 10:03 PM
DblTrbl
Burning Brakes

Received 394 Likes on 242 Posts

I like your idea. But i would have to go with a locking one. I can just see the look on the GFs face when the hood blows at 65mph.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:49 PM
DblTrbl
Burning Brakes

Just registered the vette. I looked at the pink slip and it turns out, it's not a 76. It's a 77.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:02 AM
DblTrbl
Burning Brakes

I'm working on the nose. I didn't like the license plate area that looks sorta like this.

So I cut and started to re-glass it.

Here in NJ, we're required to have a front plate. I might hang it inside the hole on a hinge, so at speed, it will keep the air flowing.
The following 2 users liked this post by DblTrbl:
amandico82 (02-19-2021), Young Vette (03-02-2020)
Old 11-11-2018, 11:06 AM
DblTrbl
Burning Brakes

I reinforced the fan shroud I built a long time ago.

The following users liked this post:
amandico82 (02-19-2021)
Old 11-11-2018, 11:18 AM
DblTrbl
Burning Brakes

The radiator was sitting a little lower that I liked. Once I put the hood on, I noticed that I could raise it up about two inches,

So I raised it and angled it a little less. This also gave me an extra inch between the fan and the turbocharger. I also found that I could stand the Intercooler straight up now.

Here's the new look of the business end:

It all fits under a stock hood.
amandico82 (02-19-2021)
Old 11-11-2018, 03:21 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by DblTrbl
I'm working on the nose. I didn't like the license plate area that looks sorta like this.

So I cut and started to re-glass it.

Here in NJ, we're required to have a front plate. I might hang it inside the hole on a hinge, so at speed, it will keep the air flowing.
If you can get away with QQ plates, no front plate is required - even though they give you 2 plates. Doesn't make sense but its true.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:00 PM
DblTrbl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BKbroiler
If you can get away with QQ plates, no front plate is required - even though they give you 2 plates. Doesn't make sense but its true.
Thanks, I didn't know about singe plate with QQ.

I was thinking about which way to go but now with no inspections required for regular plates on cars of this age, I went with regular plates. Less restrictions.

I could have waited a bit on the plates, but me and another buddy with a Vette project both committed to getting our respective car on the road by New Years day. Not done, but on the road..
Old 11-11-2018, 06:21 PM
DblTrbl
Burning Brakes

My alternator sits very close to the down pipe.

So I made a heat shield between them out of scrap aluminum. It mounts on the alternator screws. If it vibrates too much, I'll add two more mount tabs towards the front of the alternator.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:41 AM
DblTrbl
Burning Brakes

I'd like to add vents to the hood to get rid of some of the heat the turbo is going to make. It's going to have to be near the front of the hood. I've been looking around and havn't pulled the trigger on any yet. I even have one from a Shelby Charger, but it's kinda rectangular.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:54 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

I'd like to add vents to the hood to get rid of some of the heat the turbo is going to make. It's going to have to be near the front of the hood. I've been looking around and havn't pulled the trigger on any yet. I even have one from a Shelby Charger, but it's kinda rectangular.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
OK- don't laugh- but I really like the look of the Kia Stinger vents- got a set last time I was at the junkyard. They have the angled look of the LT-1/BB hood. FLip them around- left to right- and I think they'd look good and pull heat out.

Old 11-12-2018, 02:40 PM
DblTrbl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Richard454
OK- don't laugh- but I really like the look of the Kia Stinger vents
I'd be the last person in the world to laugh. One day I'll have to make a list of all the non GM or corvette parts in this project. It will be a mile long starting with parts from a old recliner I threw out. I'm a fan of re-purposing.

Yeah, i could see setting something like that oriented to look like Vette badges:

Old 11-12-2018, 10:07 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

I'd be the last person in the world to laugh. One day I'll have to make a list of all the non GM or corvette parts in this project. It will be a mile long starting with parts from a old recliner I threw out. I'm a fan of re-purposing.
HA- start a thread and I'll chime in!!!!

Old 11-12-2018, 10:35 PM
DblTrbl
Burning Brakes

HA- start a thread and I'll chime in!!!!
That would be a great thread. If using crazy stuff in you car were a sport I'd be in the Olympics.

I'd probably also be a competitor for outrageous fixes away from the garage.

Last edited by DblTrbl; 11-12-2018 at 10:50 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 03:29 PM
DblTrbl
Burning Brakes

Slight change of plans for the power steering. Instead of using the stock steering box with a electronic motor assist, I'm going with the Borgeson and an electric power steering pump. Four reasons...
(1) I ordered a replacement refurbished stock steering box and I had a huge amount of slop. Hello returns department.
(2) I like tighter lock to lock ratio on the Borgeson versus the stock replacement.
(3) the Electronic assist (Hyundai) is going to be a pain to fit and find fittings for.
(3) I heard some of the electronic assist motors don't have good return to zero characteristics unless they are ties to a steering wheel angle sensor.

The pump I'm going with is from a Volvo. They are used on fairly heavy cars (C70 is 3800 lbs), so I like that better. They have a default mode, so if there is no canbus, they turn on and run anyway after about 2 seconds. Even is default mode, I believe the pump adjusts it's performance based on fluid demand, so it should draw less power when not steering hard.

At some later time, I'm going to try and figure out the canbus messages the pump is looking for and make it a speed sensitive power steering. My friend has access to a volvo scan tool that can exercise the power steering pump and I hope to eavesdrop on the messages in my daughters C70. I'm still amazed no one else has come up with the messages for any of the various canbus driven pumps and EPS units. Maybe they have and aren't sharing. Once I know the messages, it's cake to duplicate them based on my MPH.

This pump only needs 12v power/ground and a 12v signal to run in default mode The 12 volt power can go to a fuse and then directly to the battery. The 12 volt signal will be turned on only after the engine is running. I don't want an 80 amp load on the battery when the car isn't running yet or trying to start.

The Volvo pump output is a 16mm x 1.5 with O-ring fitting. Same as the return of the Borgeson.

Bench test.

I was thinking about installing this in the back, but it would be a pain to check and fill the level. So instead, it's going under the master cylinder. The filler will be close to the washer fluid filler.

I'm going with a steel supply line since both the pump and Borgeson are mounted tot he frame. Once I install the lines, I'll let you know if this pumps works ok.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:29 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

I have not seen the Volvo pump used....

The MR2 seems to be the most popular.

A while back I had looked at the Mercedes Benz 'A' Class pump (euro only model) before going with a manual Flaming River R&P with a Nissan Cube electric assist

The A class M-B weighs in around 3000lbs.

IIRC - Chris who is building his 69 is going to run this pump- and siad you would help him out with the electronics...

The pump (part# A1684660401} operates at 73 bar, or about 1050 psi I don't know the GPM of the M-B pump.
Stock GM pumps ( C3 Corvettes for example) are Corvette pump was designed to limit pump pressure to around 1000 psi and have 2.9 GPM- where the upgraded pumps are around 3.3GPM (Chevy Astro Van pump)

Do you know what the Volvo's specs are? Looks pretty stout, Inquiring minds what to know...

Richard

Old 12-16-2018, 05:07 PM
DblTrbl
Burning Brakes

IIRC - Chris who is building his 69 is going to run this pump- and siad you would help him out with the electronics...
Yes, the car Chris is building is going to have serious demands on the steering. If his Mercedes pump works as hoped, it's going to break the myths about electric power steering not being adequate.

Do you know what the Volvo's specs are? Looks pretty stout, Inquiring minds what to know...
Not yet. Might be interesting to put a pressure gauge on the feed line and see what the lock to lock pressure is. Even if I measure the pressure, we won't know the full potential of the pump till I get the canbus working.

BTW, the Mercedes pump is DC brushed motor. The Volvo appears to be 3 phase brushless.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:42 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Yes, the car Chris is building is going to have serious demands on the steering. If his Mercedes pump works as hoped, it's going to break the myths about electric power steering not being adequate.

Not yet. Might be interesting to put a pressure gauge on the feed line and see what the lock to lock pressure is. Even if I measure the pressure, we won't know the full potential of the pump till I get the canbus working.

BTW, the Mercedes pump is DC brushed motor. The Volvo appears to be 3 phase brushless.
Ahhh- the Volvo one sounds even better...do let us know what you find.

Chris is doing some serious work on his 69....well thought out stuff too.

Oh- BTW - I added a delay circuit on my ignition- so the big stuff- electric steering- electric AC compressor- Fans- won't start up till about 6-7 seconds ( adjustable from 1 second to a couple minutes) after the cars running.

Richard

Get notified of new replies

To Turbo C3 76 Corvette Project, LSx, 4l80E, 4 link, real street driver and strip car

Old 12-16-2018, 07:09 PM
DblTrbl
Burning Brakes

Ahhh- the Volvo one sounds even better...do let us know what you find.
I'm eagerly awaiting the delivery of my Borgeson 18 and 16mm fittings so I can fire this puppy up with fluid.

Oh- BTW - I added a delay circuit on my ignition- so the big stuff- electric steering- electric AC compressor- Fans- won't start up till about 6-7 seconds ( adjustable from 1 second to a couple minutes) after the cars running.

Richard
That will pay dividends. My transmission/car controller handles all of that......
Fuel pumps come on full power for 2 seconds after ignition is turned on. Then turn off if engine isn't turning. Back on full while cranking and then PWMed based a combo of boost and RPM when the engine is running.
Fans (coolant, oil, transmission and intercooler) never (except during override) come on until engine is running (programmable, currently set to 400 RPM).
Wideband heater only comes on after engine is cranking or running.
Electric power steering pump only after engine is running. In progress.
Alternator will generate minimum volts while cranking, then adjustable by PWM through the controller. I'm going to convert the regulator from the 4 wire to the 2 wire.
Headlights will go out during cranking.
A/C clutch won't come on till engine is running.
Haven't decided about the blower motor.

I expect to be able to keep the ignition on and not kill the battery.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:43 PM
DblTrbl
Burning Brakes

Got the fittings today. Bent up the tubing. Filled the Volvo PS pump with about 2 quarts of fluid. I now have power steering.
I can steer the front wheels by just twisting the rag joint, although the wheels are still on a dolly. I can't budge it unless the pump is on.

I'll drop the front wheels onto the ground a little later and try it again.

Last edited by DblTrbl; 12-17-2018 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:37 AM
DblTrbl
Burning Brakes

A few more details about the volvo pump.....

The high pressure outlet is 16mm x 1.5, but its deep. The 16mm x 1.5 fitting that went to the Borgeson return was just a tad too short.

The return line is plastic barb that fit a 3/8" hose.

The ignition signal wire that turns the unit on only draws 2.2 milliamps, so almost any 12V signal can drive it. I tried it with 5V and that didn't work.

I tested the pump with a power supply instead of the battery and it only drew about 20 amps while turning the wheel in default mode. Just under 10 amps when not turning.
Corby'sMarilyn68 (07-11-2020)

Quick Reply: Turbo C3 76 Corvette Project, LSx, 4l80E, 4 link, real street driver and strip car