C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Compressor help

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 05:15 PM
news2me
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default A/C Compressor help

When I turn the A/C on in my '77, the compressor locks up. It looks like the clutch is shot. I just had the A/C hoses replaced and had the Dryer resealed (VIR). less then 500 miles ago. It worked fine up until today and now this happened. Is it just a coincidence, that the compressor went. Also are the compressors that Auto Zone or Advance Auto any good or should I get one from a vendor.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:29 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by news2me
When I turn the A/C on in my '77, the compressor locks up. It looks like the clutch is shot. I just had the A/C hoses replaced and had the Dryer resealed (VIR). less then 500 miles ago. It worked fine up until today and now this happened. Is it just a coincidence, that the compressor went. Also are the compressors that Auto Zone or Advance Auto any good or should I get one from a vendor.

time to upgrade

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/sanden-508

http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/S...Short_Pump.htm
Old 08-16-2016, 08:23 AM
news2me
Racer

Ttt
Old 08-16-2016, 09:33 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

If I were you I'd go for one from a local parts store. You can probably find one with a life time warranty and you'll not have any shipping (or core shipping) to deal with plus it's a direct fit.

I've not ventured into the Sanden compressors as far as a replacement for the old A6, but as Slickfx3 stated, they are a great compressor that'll work better than the original compressor but they are not a direct replacement, it'll take some work to install.

I have used the Sanden compressors on AC conversion kits over the years and they are awesome.... we put one on the 69 car we added a/c on and that thing will freeze you out...

As far as re-built units Murray and Four Season's are all reliable re-builders.

Willcox
Old 08-16-2016, 09:36 AM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

The same thing happened to my '71 and I purchased a compressor from NAPA. No problems.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:08 PM
news2me
Racer

I'm going to stay away from the box stores, like Auto Zone or Advance. They carry off brands. My local mom and pop parts house, will have a name brand like AC Delco.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:14 PM
news2me
Racer

Do I need to Vacuum and Flush out the system. Or just put the new compressor, a few cans of Freon and oil????
Old 08-16-2016, 04:47 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 104 Posts

Sounds like you have done some fix up yourself/? Unless you have the proper tools-gauges etc..might be best to take your '77 to a reputable A/C shop and have them assess what is the root problem and give you an estimate..Assume your '77 had factory air, and still runs R12 OR has it been upgraded to R134A coolant?
May be the A/C off-on relay..rather than compressor..which is a fairly easy rep fix..Keep us posted..and as for auto parts places..ONCE you determine that a new Compressor is needed see what sort of guaranty they offer ..and compare prices for parts with the A/C shop..Good luck and keep us posted..Jim
The following users liked this post:
news2me (08-16-2016)
Old 08-16-2016, 05:14 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Do I need to Vacuum and Flush out the system. Or just put the new compressor, a few cans of Freon and oil????
Yes, you will need to vacuum the system after installing a new compressor, if for no other reason than to insure the system is sealed.

Yes, possibly; Depending on the nature of the failure, you may need to flush they system to remove any debris that may have contaminated the system. Some compressor warranties require a flush to validate the warranty on the compressor.

I would agree with jim in oregon, unless you have all the necessary equipment, it is best to have a reputable shop evaluate the system and determine the cause of the failure first.

Good luck... GUSTO
The following users liked this post:
news2me (08-16-2016)
Old 08-16-2016, 05:37 PM
news2me
Racer

When the car is running, the pulley on the compressor spins and not locked up. But once I turn on the A/C, it locks up. It makes me believe its the clutch that went. With the car off, I can't turn the clutch. It won't free wheel...
Old 08-16-2016, 05:50 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

When the car is running, the pulley on the compressor spins and not locked up. But once I turn on the A/C, it locks up. It makes me believe its the clutch that went. With the car off, I can't turn the clutch. It won't free wheel...
What do you mean it locks up? Does the belt start to slip and squeal, does the engine stall?

Based on what I'm hearing you say, you are describing a seized compressor. The question then becomes, why did it seize? Did this seizure contaminate the rest of the system?

These are the questions that can best be answered by a qualified A/C service center or technician.

GUSTO
Old 08-16-2016, 07:05 PM
Hammerhead Fred
Melting Slicks

Received 264 Likes on 225 Posts

Sounds more like your compressor is locked up.
Matters not - you can purchase them as an assembly.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:22 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Fred
Sounds more like your compressor is locked up.
Matters not - you can purchase them as an assembly.
Good catch Fred... I missed that. If the belt spins when the a/c is off, and then you engage it and it locks up, the clutch is working and the compressor has an issue.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:36 AM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 776 Likes on 469 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

If it's an A6 compressor, the Pro6Ten compressor (sometimes called an S6) is a direct bolt in replacement. Old Air sells them. Or you can shop around. I'm seriously thinking of doing this. My A6 bogs my engine down to where it won't idle.

Get notified of new replies

To A/C Compressor help

Quick Reply: A/C Compressor help