C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold air snorkel design - See any issues?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 03:22 PM
Jartanyon
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Then what was the point of thread #10 and some of the other comments?

I do want and value everyone's opinion, including yours...just not the sale pitch that came along with it...

Last edited by Jartanyon; 08-25-2016 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:38 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Jartanyon

I do want and value everyone's opinion, including yours...just not the sale pitch that came along with it...
Sorry you took it as a sales pitch... i have a lot of member that have pm'd me asking for one... And Massdrop, a forum vendor, ask me to make some... so i am making 15 of them for a group buy for just the CF members..so, i was just answering questions that have been thrown my way..

I will not post my unit again here on your thread, and if you do not want my input i will abstain as well without issue :-)

again, sorry if i raised your hair a little, I truly was trying to give you some advise that I am sure I am correct in... As the testing I have done includes pressure in the bowl at various speeds as well as air temp.

p
Old 08-25-2016, 03:51 PM
Jartanyon
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No worries
Old 08-26-2016, 09:24 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by Jartanyon

I would doubt that Paul is trying to sell you anything, or that he needs to. He has pretty good knowledge on this subject from making his own intake. He is one who actually would see a ram air rise much of the time vs most of us.
The following users liked this post:
pauldana (08-26-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 10:04 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

I doubt it makes any difference on the number of ways or ducts there is leading to the carb throat. Air will flow in the path of least resistance. If there happens to be an imbalance such as a pressure difference in the ducts, then the duct with the greater pressure will be favoured by the carb and the other ducts will be lame ducts, lol. I just use a 4" tall open air cleaner that works fine for me. I don't make my living from my car so I don't care about spending time and money for a cai that nets me a few more HP which I'm already getting from my larger air filter.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:06 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by resdoggie
I doubt it makes any difference on the number of ways or ducts there is leading to the carb throat. Air will flow in the path of least resistance. If there happens to be an imbalance such as a pressure difference in the ducts, then the duct with the greater pressure will be favoured by the carb and the other ducts will be lame ducts, lol. I just use a 4" tall open air cleaner that works fine for me. I don't make my living from my car so I don't care about spending time and money for a cai that nets me a few more HP which I'm already getting from my larger air filter.
O, but it does... and as far as how much is important, well, that is like beauty, its in the eye of the beholder... if I can get an additional 15hp out on the track, from a properly constructed and designed system, I would very much consider it...ie, I am going to buy a vacuum pump for the PCV system.. the price is about $1500,, hp=about 25hp net... is it worth it? to me yes, to you???

Moroso makes an air cleaner with a lid that helps stop air turbulence and cleans flow, they charge more fop there lid,, and clam about 5hp average,,, is it wort it? to me yes...

turbulence is not what you want in the bowl, you want a positive pressure clean flowing path, this will yield the most hp.. having multiple inputs changes this, it not only most likely will negate any ram air effect, but will also cause turbulence in the wind tunnel and bowl area.. not beneficial for hp gains.. but looks way cool

Last edited by pauldana; 08-26-2016 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:30 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Not worth it to me because I don't track my car and my 4"x14" open air filter will gobble down as much air as required by the cylinders and the only restriction to air flow is the filter media.
I'd be interested, when you get your dyno up and running, comparing your cai vs oem cai vs open air filter and no filter at all.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:55 PM
GBC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C a i

It looks to me that this might have another benefit. By allowing air to vent from the intake path when the car is not moving fast, not crating pressure, where most of our cars live. Keeping heat sock out of the intake track.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:06 AM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 520 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by pauldana
O, but it does... and as far as how much is important, well, that is like beauty, its in the eye of the beholder... if I can get an additional 15hp out on the track, from a properly constructed and designed system, I would very much consider it
I am in the group for before and after results.

If it works I am the yes do it group. But for the most part these discussions end up with no "before and after results" and end up as myth's.

I like to see 1/4 mile MPH and ET before and after result vs Dyno results.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:51 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 578 Likes on 460 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Ever heard the disclaimer "your results may vary"? Well that applies here too.every car is different the area you live in is different all you can hope for is a guess. More air makes more power always cooler air makes more power always,but how much? You won't know till you do it and test it yourself.
Paul's system looks as good as any I've seen and I expect it works well.do I have one? No, I'm trying to decide if I want to build a 496,I can tell you how much power that will give me, a bunch.

Quick Reply: Cold air snorkel design - See any issues?