Aluminum radiators and related topics - Page 5 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

Aluminum radiators and related topics

Old 11-12-2017, 03:02 PM   #81
rogernison
CF Senior Member

Default Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom DeWitt View Post
The hardest part of this project would be removing the factory shroud, assuming you want to save it. Some guys just cut it in half and remove two pieces. If you go that route you will have the fans installed in about an hour. I would think the wiring would take more time than installing the fans.

Installation Guide
Will I need to upgrade my alternator or will the original work OK ?
Thanks! I have the original shroud out, in one piece, removed the lower piece the th upper piece thru the passenger side. The car has factory A/C

Last edited by rogernison; 11-12-2017 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Additional comment
rogernison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:29 PM   #82
Tom DeWitt
Premium Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogernison View Post
Will I need to upgrade my alternator or will the original work OK ?
I suggest a minimum of 65a for dual fans which is probably what the car came with so you could get away with what you have. I recommend 80-100a just to have little extra cushion
Tom DeWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom DeWitt For This Useful Post:
rogernison (11-12-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 06:01 AM   #83
mrichi
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette400hp View Post
I had a DeWitt 2 core radiator for the last 10 years. It never cooled either one of my motors small block and big block in the 180 to 190 range which is what I was hoping for. I'm hoping for different results with a Champion radiator.
I have a 454 BB with a DeWitts Heavy Duty radiator it works perfectly
mrichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:18 PM   #84
Punchy8504

So Dewitts for trim and polish, but it comes at a premium. Champion if you're on a budget. Both seem to get the job done. Is the black ice on the Dewitt's worth it?

I'm still making a wish list so I'm hoping for more info. Besides the obvious on electric fans vs mechanical with HP loss, cooling effects, electricity draw, what are some preferred combos? dual fan vice one? After reading the thread about cooling the interior of the C3, anyone have try a dual fan? One for the rad, one to circulate air to stop the car from turning into an oven?

And what about tranny coolers? I'm planning on keeping the tranny auto as I have the body of an 80 year old with knees that are held together with hopes and dreams so stick is slowly getting less fun in traffic. Heat kills transmissions and I'm hoping that can be touched in this thread. If it's covered elsewhere, I just need direction.

There's lots of threads on this forum and I've been doing a ton of researching instead of working and for the most part I'm much more educated than when I started.
Punchy8504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Aluminum radiators and related topics
  •