Notices
C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

Aluminum radiators and related topics

Old 06-03-2019, 06:55 PM
L-46man
CF Senior Member

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

I bought a COLD CASE for the 82 CE....other than having to switch to big block upper keepers and the ultimate fact that it's 40% larger than I took out....went well but it went in tight.

BOY DOES THAT BABY WORK!

UNKAHAL
Old 06-13-2019, 10:58 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own either a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 213 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom DeWitt View Post
This thread was sapossed to provide a place to discuss cooling issues with moderator supervision to control redundancy and controversy. What it has turned into is a DeWitts Alternative report page. I am open to sharing my twenty years of Corvette cooling experience with anyone that has questions.
Tom, I have an odd question or two bouncing around in my head, and you're the only guy I "know" that might be able to offer up some thoughts or numbers. The story:

I have one of your radiators in my '69 (and in my turbo C4). They are high quality pieces that do their cooling jobs very well. No complaints. I have been putting my '69 on a diet for several years to keep it "competitive" with later Corvettes at track days (road courses). It's been my experience that even on very hot track days, I have more radiator capacity than I need, and possibly this would be an area that could be included in my weight reduction efforts. I'm looking at some OEM radiators (to keep the cost down in case this experiment is a colossal failure) that might fit the '69, and allow a bit of material weight reduction and water volume/weight reduction (this weight would obviously come off ahead of the front axle, the most efficient place to remove weight).

My question relates to the pressure drop across the core due to the water pump circulating the coolant. My two row DeWitts radiator obviously has some decent cross sectional area for the coolant to flow through, but I have no clue what that pressure drop is at higher RPMs at the track (it appears to be easy enough to fab some pieces at the inlet/outlet hoses to hook to a differential pressure gauge). If I install a slightly smaller cross sectional area radiator I would expect that there would be more restriction and a higher pressure drop from inlet to outlet. There's obviously the static pressure in the radiator due to the heating/expansion of the coolant, and I'm just trying to figure out what sort of additional pressure/stress I'm potentially adding to the smaller/lighter tracktime radiator.

I'm still trying to get things sorted out in my head here, but if you have some technical/engineering thoughts on this modification/experiment, I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks,
Mike

Edit: Just looking at a spare thermostat it looks like that is probably the biggest bottleneck in the coolant loop. I can measure/calculate the cross sectional area of the radiator hoses easily enough, and I can probably SWAG it on the radiator by making some guesstimates of the internal area of each tube, times the number of tubes.

Last edited by 69427; 06-14-2019 at 08:07 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aluminum radiators and related topics

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: