C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS swap gas tank vent

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 11:23 AM
71 Vert LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 395 Likes on 300 Posts

Default LS swap gas tank vent

Question for the LS swap guys out there in regards to venting the gas tank.

Are you relying on the a vented gas cap to vent the tank?

My car is a 71. The tank has the nipple for the line up the charcoal canister but the line and canister are long gone.

I have vented gas cap.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:38 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

if you are using a vented gas cap close off the line that went to the canister.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:03 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Here's how I went about it-

I am running a return line - and from my understanding at idle- over 95% of the fuel is returned- basically heating up the fuel and running back in the tank- so it should be the same size as supply line.

I have a non-vented cap- and from what I have read just changing over to a vented cap (designed for a carbs) will cause venting issues- not to mention that gas smell.

I looked at the vent on the Aeromotive Phantom Pump and the manual said the vent should be 6" above the tank and use a roll over valve. In a Vette to do this the vent would have to be a couple of inches above the rear deck!!!

I added a roll over valve- connected it to a charcoal canister ( used in GM cars for the brake vacuum line) and then a vent used in marine applications placed in the antenna hole. I also ended up going w/ Russel Synthetic rubber hoses to hopefully stop the permeation of the ethanol in the gas - and gas smells.

DSCN4718 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr

roll over valve

Vent for boat hulls-

Vent in the antenna hole-

DSCN4419

DSCN4420

The other thing I did was putting a fuel cooler on the return -a few OEM new cars have it- can't imagine it would hurt ...

DSCN4904 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr

So my thoughts- no gas smell- have a roll over valve if I am ever unfortunate to roll the car. I am also adding a Ford inertia switch to shut the fuel pump from an impact. Has a reset and mounted it in the battery compartment -for easy access.

Get notified of new replies

To LS swap gas tank vent

Quick Reply: LS swap gas tank vent