C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine turns over after shutoff

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 11:37 AM
clwi
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Engine turns over after shutoff

New 468cui, stock heads, Straub cam, CR 10,5, static compression 196psi.
Ignition at 12 initial, mechanic 18 at 3500rpm, manifold vac to distributor
10 deg (MSD Pro billet and MSD 6AL), rebuilt Qjet, using 95 oct gas.
Why does it turnover after shutoff?
Old 09-11-2016, 03:05 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Thats "Dieseling". Is the curb idle solenoid on the carb?
Old 09-11-2016, 03:15 PM
clwi
Racer

Originally Posted by SIXFOOTER
Thats "Dieseling". Is the curb idle solenoid on the carb?
Nope, Qjet with divorced choke
Old 09-11-2016, 03:38 PM
cooper9811
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

In my experience, the typical cause for dieseling is usually too high idle speed. Sometimes idle can be set too high to compensate for low initial timing. If the initial is set correctly you may want to try a lower idle speed.

In your case, you mention a Straub cam. I ran one a while back, and it liked a ton of initial timing.

I had dieseling with that engine until I bumped initial up (around 20 or so if I recall correctly - but you will need to figure out the right setting for your combination). I then dropped idle speed and eliminated the dieseling.

I personally would see if it likes more initial so you can drop your idle speed settings and close your throttle blades more than they are now - restricting air flow into your engine at idle and when you shut it off.

Occasionally, this wont help and you may just need to add a solenoid to keep your throttle blades open enough for idle. Once the car shuts off, the solenoid then allows the blades to snap shut.

Last edited by cooper9811; 09-11-2016 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-11-2016, 04:49 PM
clwi
Racer

Originally Posted by cooper9811
In my experience, the typical cause for dieseling is usually too high idle speed. Sometimes idle can be set too high to compensate for low initial timing. If the initial is set correctly you may want to try a lower idle speed.

In your case, you mention a Straub cam. I ran one a while back, and it liked a ton of initial timing.

I had dieseling with that engine until I bumped initial up (around 20 or so if I recall correctly - but you will need to figure out the right setting for your combination). I then dropped idle speed and eliminated the dieseling.

I personally would see if it likes more initial so you can drop your idle speed settings and close your throttle blades more than they are now - restricting air flow into your engine at idle and when you shut it off.

Occasionally, this wont help and you may just need to add a solenoid to keep your throttle blades open enough for idle. Once the car shuts off, the solenoid then allows the blades to snap shut.
Idle is 750rpm, ignition at 12 initial, I must use 95oct to stop pinging...static comp is 196 psi...no way i can increese inital...
Tried 16, but it pinged way out...
Old 09-11-2016, 05:58 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Yea you may need to add the solenoid then
Old 09-11-2016, 07:38 PM
cooper9811
Pro

What is your total mechanical timing (without vacuum), with base at 12 degrees initial?
Old 09-12-2016, 09:19 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 768 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by clwi
Idle is 750rpm, ignition at 12 initial, I must use 95oct to stop pinging...static comp is 196 psi...no way i can increese inital...
Tried 16, but it pinged way out...
Do you know that 12* (plus the vacuum advance addition) is the correct idle timing for your particular engine combination?
While it's idling can you rotate the distributor to advance the timing a little bit to see if the idle speed increases? If it does, that indicates that the low RPM timing is too retarded, and could be the cause of the dieseling issue (due to the throttle blades being opened further than necessary).
Old 09-12-2016, 09:30 PM
cooper9811
Pro

Originally Posted by 69427
Do you know that 12* (plus the vacuum advance addition) is the correct idle timing for your particular engine combination?
While it's idling can you rotate the distributor to advance the timing a little bit to see if the idle speed increases? If it does, that indicates that the low RPM timing is too retarded, and could be the cause of the dieseling issue (due to the throttle blades being opened further than necessary).

This is pretty much the same place I was headed. If it pings at higher RPM, maybe you really need more initial, but should limit the total mechanical to control ping. I would bet you can lower idle speed this way and decrease (if not eliminate) the likelihood of dieseling.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:38 PM
suprspooky
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts

When you say "Stock Heads" do you mean Cast Iron? Let us know how you end up solving it.
I'm thinking about using a Straub Cam on a BB 427 also 10.5 comp. I'm trying for a combo (Cam, Heads) that will allow running 91 Oct. without Dieseling or Detonation. Straub pointed me towards aluminum Heads.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:46 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 768 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by cooper9811

This is pretty much the same place I was headed. If it pings at higher RPM, maybe you really need more initial, but should limit the total mechanical to control ping. I would bet you can lower idle speed this way and decrease (if not eliminate) the likelihood of dieseling.
Yeah, I was agreeing with your earlier post, and was just trying to build on that by asking the OP to do a little idle speed/timing-advance test to try to narrow down the problem area.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine turns over after shutoff

Quick Reply: Engine turns over after shutoff