C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Minimum Fuel Injector Duty Cycle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 01:49 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts
Default Minimum Fuel Injector Duty Cycle?

Is there such a thing as a minimum recommended fuel injector duty cycle?

Why I'm asking: I REALLY want to install a FIRST fuel injection intake on my 79 L82 C3 this winter and to go to port fuel injection; the challenge is that NEXT winter I'll be putting new heads and a new cam in the car and it's going to jump from 240ish HP to 400-420ish HP and I only really want to buy fuel injectors once.

My plan was to buy 35 LB fuel injectors which gives me a 75% duty cycle after the top-end is done, but those same 35 LB fuel injectors in my otherwise stock L82 would require an injector duty cycle as low as 40%; Is there an issue running fuel injectors at such a low duty cycle?

Adam

Last edited by NewbVetteGuy; 09-29-2016 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:10 PM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

is the duty cycle on the high perf motor ALWAYS 75%? what is it at idle? low rpm driving around town?

My thoughts, if I understand what you mean by duty cycle correctly, is that no, of course not. those will be fine at 40%...
Old 09-29-2016, 03:21 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,341 Likes on 1,066 Posts

You need to read up on fuel injection. Injectors have a min. time and a max duty cycle. To a certain extent you can alter the injection pressure to feed different HP motors.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:09 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gkull
You need to read up on fuel injection. Injectors have a min. time and a max duty cycle. To a certain extent you can alter the injection pressure to feed different HP motors.
Yes, yes I do....

;-)

Adam
Old 09-29-2016, 05:09 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gungatim
is the duty cycle on the high perf motor ALWAYS 75%? what is it at idle? low rpm driving around town?

My thoughts, if I understand what you mean by duty cycle correctly, is that no, of course not. those will be fine at 40%...
Well, now that you said it, of course that's obvious...

Adam
Old 09-29-2016, 08:33 PM
dugsgms74
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Yes, there is certainly a minimum duty cycle but its more about time than actual duty cycle. The issue is that it takes time for the fuel to begin flowing after the injector opens, if the open time is too short the fuel never has time to flow before the injector closes and the engine wont idle. Good rule of thumb is to size injectors so that at maximum demand they are around 85% duty cycle.

Get notified of new replies

To Minimum Fuel Injector Duty Cycle?

Quick Reply: Minimum Fuel Injector Duty Cycle?