C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pan Leak

Old 11-01-2016, 10:34 PM
clatgeo
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Oil Pan Leak

After installing a new oil pan gasket (cork and rubber) I am getting a small leak from the front and back rubber seals.

I checked with Fel Pro and they said not to put any sealer on the front and rear rubber seals.

If I take the oil pan back off, what sealer should I use on the front and rear oil pan rubber seals?
Old 11-01-2016, 10:46 PM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 343 Likes on 250 Posts

If I was you I'd ditch the cork and rubber set and get the Fel-Pro one piece pan gasket....lightyears ahead of what your now using.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:15 PM
Indiancreek
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Small dab of sealer at the junction of the cork and rubber
Old 11-01-2016, 11:39 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,641 Likes on 2,909 Posts

Ditch the cork and before you re-install the pan check the area around the bolt holes and make sure there is no deformation of the pan to insure the mounting surface of the pan is mounting flat against the surface of the block. Use a torque wrench and tighten all bolts to the specified torque. If Fel-Pro recommends no sealer, then no sealer.

Last edited by OldCarBum; 11-01-2016 at 11:43 PM.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:00 AM
Tooch1
Burning Brakes

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

Good morning clatgeo,
Get the one piece rubber "Blue" FelPro gasket. I used it on my 73' L48 after I removed my pan to fix a ' bubba' repair by a previous owner. However, I used a small amount of the Permatex Black RTV in each of the four corners to be safe. Made sure my pan rim was nice and flat.
Note! - The gasket comes with new bolts which are a tad longer than the originals. I suggest you use them. I tried to use my originals, but they aren't long enough to tighten properly, all the way around the pan. You can paint the bolts and blue gasket engine orange when complete. Very hard to notice the difference. (original bolts have a recessed head with markings).
Did this project last summer and 'knock on wood' no leaks yet.
Hope this helps,
Jimmy

Last edited by Tooch1; 11-02-2016 at 09:07 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Pan Leak

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Pan Leak