C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1978 loose driver window

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 05:16 PM
1978BackToLife
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1978 loose driver window

Hi all, thanks as always for great advice.

My driver's window is pretty loose - with the door open, if I grab the window at the top, I can move it outward and inward a pretty great deal. I notice it also doesn't roll up all the way when the door is closed, but does with the door open - which leads me to believe someone replaced the weatherstripping with too hard or large rubber.

I mostly found topics on the forum about window height but not about window wobble - what parts specifically keep the window stable? The Track/Lift Arm Repair Kit, 1978-1982 appears to be on a national backorder if this is the case...

Thanks
Old 11-16-2016, 09:45 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

There seems to be multiple issues.

The door glass adjustment also requires a pillar weatherstrip adjustment..

But first you need to look at the adjuster pads that put tension on the door glass and if they are bad replace them. https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...-pad-set-69-96

Next I'd check the play on the rollers but honestly I'd look at other things before I pulled the regulator for inspection. Replacing the adjuster pads and doing a door glass adjustment may solve your issue but your rolling up all the way issue could be other issues. http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/1...-instructions/

Pillar post weatherstrip blow out clips bad.
Pillar post weatherstrip retainers moving. This is a key thing to address because many people try to remove the pillar weatherstrip retainer and don't realize there are other screws. When the try to pull off the retainer they actually bend it....

The pillar weatherstrip retainer must be flat to the windshield molding once installed an if it pivots any at all, it will change the way the door glass responds when rolled up. If you look at the screw holes before you install them again make sure there isn't any pulling present and that the retainer sits flush to the backside of the windshield molding.

Willcox
Old 11-17-2016, 04:13 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Isn't "Window Wobble" a song?

Get notified of new replies

To 1978 loose driver window

Quick Reply: 1978 loose driver window