C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

timing chain

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 09:18 PM
martys76
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default timing chain

going with summit sumK1103 cam standard timing chain or double
roller chain same price with would be better choice
Old 11-16-2016, 09:37 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

The only chain I use in my shop is the Cloyes True roller double chain... The only issue you'll have is that you "Must" give them a cleaning bath before you install them. Take some thinner and put it in a pan the wash out the chain before you install it. Some bits will fall off but you'll know it's good to go. I'd never install one out of the box..

Willcox
Old 11-17-2016, 06:40 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

I used this one from Howard's. It has a thrust bearing also.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...4300/overview/
Old 11-17-2016, 08:39 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Second on the Cloyes Tru-Roller......the 9-1100 Street Roller is fine for most applications......

Anything I build that is beyond "stock" gets a Hex-a-Just.....I flat out will not mess with bushings to degree after 20 years......

Jebby
Old 11-17-2016, 02:01 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by resdoggie
I used this one from Howard's. It has a thrust bearing also.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...4300/overview/
I need to order a chain and cover set soon; mine still has the original stretched-out chain from 79 on it...

How do you actually adjust this thing? What does the adjustment process look like?

-I don't really want to pay for a Hex-A-Just but I'm looking for something that dead simple- where you just remove the 2nd piece of a 2 piece cover and quickly adjust the timing forward or backward.

(The long-runner intake that I'm looking at (FIRST Fuel Injection) with my cam is really pushing the limits regarding cylinder pressure and knock risk and I want to run things right up next to the ragged edge and just pull back the cam timing if I get bad gas or during the warmer weather months.)

Adam
Old 11-17-2016, 03:16 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

There is nothing cheper then a Hex-a-Just to do what you want to do....the Howard's that was posted is not "adjustable".....

Jebby
Old 11-17-2016, 07:34 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Royal Canadian Navy

Originally Posted by NewbVetteGuy
I need to order a chain and cover set soon; mine still has the original stretched-out chain from 79 on it...

How do you actually adjust this thing? What does the adjustment process look like?

-I don't really want to pay for a Hex-A-Just but I'm looking for something that dead simple- where you just remove the 2nd piece of a 2 piece cover and quickly adjust the timing forward or backward.

(The long-runner intake that I'm looking at (FIRST Fuel Injection) with my cam is really pushing the limits regarding cylinder pressure and knock risk and I want to run things right up next to the ragged edge and just pull back the cam timing if I get bad gas or during the warmer weather months.)

Adam
Not sure what Jebby means by "adjustable" but the Summit description for this chain is accurate. The instructions for this cam describe how to advance/retard the cam up to 4*-8*. The gear sprocket is machined with multiple grooves for slipping over the keyway. Using the icl method and a degree wheel for my cam and this timing chain set, my cam was retarded just over 1-1/2*. I corrected the cam timing by 2* by aligning the crank/cam gear sprockets as outlined in the instructions. Worked great and I was able to dial in the cam to within 1/2*.

Last edited by resdoggie; 11-17-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:45 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Not sure what Jebby means by "adjustable" but the Summit description for this cam is accurate. The instructions for this cam describe how to advance/retard the cam up to 4*-8*. The gear sprocket is machined with multiple grooves for slipping over the keyway. Using the icl method and a degree wheel for my cam and this timing chain set, my cam was retarded just over 1-1/2*. I corrected the cam timing by 2* by aligning the crank/cam gear sprockets as outlined in the instructions. Worked great and I was able to dial in the cam to within 1/2*.
I guess I mean able to adjust at the cam sprocket without pulling the crank gear.....
Hex-a-Just does this....they even make their own timing cover for it.....
Short of the handful of belt drives that are out there....I am unaware of a quick adjust cam sprocket.....

Jebby

Last edited by Jebbysan; 11-17-2016 at 07:48 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:11 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Royal Canadian Navy

My timing chain was not quick to adjust. The cam was degreed while on my engine stand which made it a lot easier to install/remove the crank gear to get the proper timing adjustments.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:40 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

My timing chain was not quick to adjust. The cam was degreed while on my engine stand which made it a lot easier to install/remove the crank gear to get the proper timing adjustments.
Newb was asking.....Cloyes has a patent on the design for cam adjust sprocket....
Further more the Hex-a-Just is the best chain and gears Cloyes offers...part of the reason for the big $$$$$$

Jebby

Get notified of new replies

To timing chain

Quick Reply: timing chain