C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Car drives in neutral when clutch released.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 04:48 PM
jsbwac
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Help! Car drives in neutral when clutch released.

Did the motor in my 74 and while doing it, did the clutch. Got everything back together, is running great, and was moving forward and back with no problem so I figured I had the clutch and everything in right.

Then I did hard pull on the motor in first gear. Pulled great but from this point forward something is off with the clutch, and maybe the trans.

When I push the clutch in, whether in neutral or in gear, car does not move and runs great. So the clutch is working. Then when I release the clutch and stick is in neutral, car moves as if in first gear (actually how I got it back in the garage). If I put in a gear and release clutch, it bogs down and stalls.

I don't know where to start. It was moving and running without a problem, then this. It is almost as if something is adjusted too tight.

Any ideas? I am thinking it isn't clutch related, but maybe something in the trans?

Thanks.
Old 11-18-2016, 04:59 PM
sug
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 510 Likes on 270 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
C3 of Year Winner (stock) 2019

Did you put the levers in the neutral position and use the gear shift set up tool when you put it back together
Old 11-18-2016, 05:17 PM
jsbwac
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I did not, just put back together. It was moving through gears without a problem and shifting and driving in reverse and first with no problem in the driveway until this happened.
Thanks!
Old 11-18-2016, 05:25 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Do a search for shifter, clutch, shifter linkage etc. You'll find what you need.
Old 11-18-2016, 06:13 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Shifter linkage. Something may have loosened up. Reset the shift linkage and you should be fine. It's obviously in gear when you think it is in neutral.
Old 11-18-2016, 06:16 PM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 784 Likes on 536 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

You didn't loose the grease in the tranny did you ?
Old 11-18-2016, 06:44 PM
ayellow56
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of two things come to mind. You probably broke the detent arms on the shifter cover that prevents a situation of two gear sets being engaged at the same time, like you are experiencing now. Or a shift rod dropped off, 3-4 gear, and a broken internal detent. Either way it appears that you will have to investigate the problem visually and most likely internally. Good Luck. Steve.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:51 PM
jsbwac
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks everyone for the advice. I just out it up in the air but didn't see anything, but am going to dive in deeper in the morning. I will keep you posted.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:29 PM
jsbwac
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I climbed under and reset to neutral and really lubricated the linkage. Now it seems to work great and shift like it should. I still don't understand fully what happened, and something tells me maybe there is something off internally, but at least I can move it around again. Thanks to everyone for their help.
The following users liked this post:
MotorHead (11-21-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 09:05 AM
Grahamred70
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If it drives forwards in neutral but doesn't bog and stall when you let the clutch out the only way to drive through the gearbox is through the roller bearing between the input shaft and the main shaft.
When you did the clutch did you change like for like or did you "upgrade" new clutch could be forcing input shaft back into contact with the main shaft causing some drive between the two?
Something to ponder over?
Graham
Old 11-21-2016, 11:04 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Thanks for the follow up. When asking for advice and fixing the problem, whether you find it or the members helped it is always nice to hear back from the original poster as to what the solution was.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:22 PM
Grahamred70
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ayellow56
One of two things come to mind. You probably broke the detent arms on the shifter cover that prevents a situation of two gear sets being engaged at the same time, like you are experiencing now. Or a shift rod dropped off, 3-4 gear, and a broken internal detent. Either way it appears that you will have to investigate the problem visually and most likely internally. Good Luck. Steve.
If 2 gears are engaged together the transmission would be locked and would very quickly destroy itself when you let the clutch in, after all that's how you lock it to tighten or loosen the nut on the input shaft.
Graham

Get notified of new replies

To Help! Car drives in neutral when clutch released.

Quick Reply: Help! Car drives in neutral when clutch released.