C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fiber optics help

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2002, 12:55 AM
telk
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fiber optics help

Is there any place that sells fiber optic wire? I know they sell patch kits. but can 4 or 5 foot pieces be purchased anywhere? Also I read some time ago that monofilament fishing line can be used with pretty good results. is that true or false ? What size or test would be used? Thanks.
Old 09-20-2002, 01:02 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: fiber optics help (telk)

Mono fishing line will work (sort of) but it is very brand specific and it doesn't transmit 10% of the light that real glass does. I spent a long afternoon threading it thru plastic tubing and hooking it up only to be really disappointed with the results.
I found an alternative source of fiber optic cable at Lowe's home improvement stores. There are some outdoor lighting systems that use fiber optics to put out light. I found that they sell it in 25' and 50' rolls. It isn't cheap at about $1.00 a foot. Rather than spend the money on it I've decided just to buy a reproduction rear harness to replace mine with. I've seen the complete rear fiber optic cables for around $90.00.
T
Old 09-20-2002, 06:23 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: fiber optics help (telk)

there are a few places that sell it by the foot. I used to have a site saved in my computer but lost it when I reformatted. try an on-line search. it was a street rod parts supplier.
Old 09-20-2002, 09:55 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: fiber optics help (silvervetteman)

I want to send this back to the top. This topic means alot to us guys with the fiber optic lights that dont work correctly. My rears are cut somewhere between the brake lights and the console. I know everything is good at the console and at the light so.
This was just going to be one of those things I just let go. I may have to go to the Home Depot and look this fiber stuff up and get me a 25 ft roll, unless someone comes up with an online place to get it.

Get notified of new replies

To fiber optics help

Quick Reply: fiber optics help