C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'76 A/C complete assembly help

Old 01-24-2017, 08:57 AM
vcura
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '76 A/C complete assembly help

Hi guys. I bought a 1976 L48 to do a light restoration on. My next project is tackling the A/C. Somewhere in the last 41 years, someone removed the compressor, bracket, belt, and receiver drier. The only parts that are left on my car are the condenser and one hose coming off of it. My question is, can anyone help me with a list of parts I'll need to complete the system?

Also, I've seen a bunch of kits for converting away from VIR... should I do this? What does this replace?

All I'm looking for is the cheapest and easiest way to get this done.

Any info is much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-24-2017, 10:39 AM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Congrations on the 76!

Originally Posted by vcura
Hi guys. I bought a 1976 L48 to do a light restoration on. My next project is tackling the A/C. Somewhere in the last 41 years, someone removed the compressor, bracket, belt, and receiver drier. The only parts that are left on my car are the condenser and one hose coming off of it. My question is, can anyone help me with a list of parts I'll need to complete the system?

Also, I've seen a bunch of kits for converting away from VIR... should I do this? What does this replace?

Congratulations on acquiring the 76!!

Suggest you get the 76 AIM (Assembly Instruction Manual, what the GM factory used to assemble) and in the back, under options, you will find dwgs of all the parts and setup you need. You can buy on ebay or Corvette vendors have them too.

IMHO, installing Vintage Air gives the best results. I installed a VIR eliminator in my 76 and it worked ok. Since you are going to have to buy new hoses, and more, you might price out all that you need and then compare to what it would cost you to install Vintage Air. I am thinking the cost either way will be similar and the Vintage Air will give you excellent results.

Hope this helps and enjoy your new ride!

Last edited by 20mercury; 01-24-2017 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:45 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,325 Likes on 957 Posts

Default A/c

Best way to proceed would be to obtain an AIM for your year. Check the section for A/C and you should have all the info you need to piece your system back. Once you have that, check the various parts houses for any parts you need. You can check with Classic Auto Air in Tampa for hoses and info regarding your application. Good luck. Jery
Old 01-24-2017, 10:57 AM
RIO68
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put a request in parts wanted and see if someone has some take off parts. Since the car had air, I'm partial to keeping it original but I'm sure the add on can work well also.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:23 AM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

you will need to know if you have an early or late production 76, the a/c' s are different.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:06 PM
Dins74
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts

If I can please jump in on this thread. I am in the same situation as Vcura.with my 74. Just completed and engine swap and the car is running perfect now it's A/C time before paint.

Trying to decide weather to go with a new aftermarket system like Vintage Air or Classic Auto. or purchase all new parts and convert to R134 and keep my duct, controls, and look the same.

Other then installation efforts the only down side I heard about the aftermarket systems is that with the evaporator, heater coil, and blower inside the car these systems tend to be very loud.

Any and all comments are welcome.

Sorry for the intrusion vcur I hope this well generate some info you are also looking for
Old 01-26-2017, 09:40 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Default My 2 cents,...

Originally Posted by Dins74
If I can please jump in on this thread. I am in the same situation as Vcura.with my 74. Just completed and engine swap and the car is running perfect now it's A/C time before paint.

Trying to decide weather to go with a new aftermarket system like Vintage Air or Classic Auto. or purchase all new parts and convert to R134 and keep my duct, controls, and look the same.

Other then installation efforts the only down side I heard about the aftermarket systems is that with the evaporator, heater coil, and blower inside the car these systems tend to be very loud.

Any and all comments are welcome.

Sorry for the intrusion vcur I hope this well generate some info you are also looking for
Classic Air here and I would say no difference in noise for me compared to OEM.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:19 AM
Dins74
Advanced

20mercury, I am sure the latest technology in these after market systems makes them efficient and dependable. The fact that they come as a complete systems eliminates searching for parts, hard to find unavailable parts. but why are they designed to mounted inside the car.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:05 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

A Vintage Air system on a 74 is a piece of cake, plus the benefits of a system designed for R-134. All the factory controls work as they did from GM.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:32 AM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Default Got me.

20mercury, I am sure the latest technology in these after market systems makes them efficient and dependable. The fact that they come as a complete systems eliminates searching for parts, hard to find unavailable parts. but why are they designed to mounted inside the car.
Got me, I could speculate I suppose. Maybe having the blower/coils inside makes for a simpler package? You could call VA technical and ask them. VA tech has been very helpful when I have called them in the past.

Last edited by 20mercury; 01-28-2017 at 01:35 AM.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:37 AM
Dins74
Advanced

I emailed VA and they got back to me within an hour advising the evaporator is kept cooler inside the car as opposed to being in a hot engine compartment making the system more efficient. It's a single package with the latest cooling technology like new cars.

I have a 454 with Doug's side pipes and pretty good stern not to mention my hearing is going I should not get to concerned about blower noise I guess.

I am motivated to hear TimAT saying the installation is a snap
Old 01-28-2017, 12:07 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Default Thanks

I emailed VA and they got back to me within an hour advising the evaporator is kept cooler inside the car as opposed to being in a hot engine compartment making the system more efficient. It's a single package with the latest cooling technology like new cars.

I have a 454 with Doug's side pipes and pretty good stern not to mention my hearing is going I should not get to concerned about blower noise I guess.

I am motivated to hear TimAT saying the installation is a snap
Thanks and good to know VA's response. That does make good sense.

I must say, my hearing is shot too, so maybe my opinion on the noise does not count, LOL's!

VA install was not what I would call a snap for me, ha, but quite doable. If you carefully follow the directions you can get good results.

Good luck to you whatever you decide.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:24 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by vcura

I have this plus the hose and a line from an 81K mile 77, if you or anyone else is interested send a PM
Attached Images      
Old 09-21-2017, 06:39 PM
2mnyvets
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

I am converting my 73 to a factory air hybrid and made an excel spread sheet listing all the parts with the page numbers from a mid America corvette AIM manual for a 69. My intent is to use the factory interior and install aftermarket hoses, compressor w/brackets expansion valve, condenser and drier. VA offers a package for that. I believe he quoted me $799. Let me know how to send you the spread sheet if you are interested.

Get notified of new replies

To '76 A/C complete assembly help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '76 A/C complete assembly help