C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reusing Rod Bolts??

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 01:57 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by gbarmore
I bought fully assembled AFR 195 competition heads and a new Howard's CAM with 237 int./237exh. @.050 with .560 lift. Valve control should not be an issue with this set-up.

Another reason I decided to pull the pistons was that this build will put me over 500hp, and I don't know the quality of the bolts that came with the original crate motor. So, figured I would replace with some known quality bolts. This has also been a challenge since I also don't know the mfg of the rods, and the bolts I'm finding on Summit Racing seem to be mfg specific. All I know is they were described as 'extreme-duty' and are H Beam.....

So you'd still say just reuse the original bolts given the above??
Yes they are probably better than stock
Rod bolts are not a 1 use thing on Gen1s they can be reused a number of times. No need to spend more on stuff that doesnt need it
You can always take them in have a machinist double ck it to bring peace of mind. I wouldnt waste the money.
Ive reused old rod bolts long as they werent removed beat the p out of them never broke anything.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:29 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Originally Posted by gbarmore
Once again, great info Jim, thank you! Sounds like I just need to invest in some measuring tools and make sure to apply some simple rule of thumb, and go from there. Who doesn't love new tools.

The bearings are standard King units. I was considering upgrading to the HP series, but with a 4x cost premium, I figured I'd ask for an opinion here...
The difference is not the material but the back cut or the width on race bearings....the reason is the high end cranks have a large radius fillet on the outside of the journal....now Clevite used to backcut the race bearings...but somewhere along the way they NARROWED the Standard bearings.....
You are going to have to do a little research here....but I would say stick to what you have been running.

Jebby
Old 02-03-2017, 10:40 PM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 784 Likes on 536 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Yes, there is a difference in material. Some King brgs are made with an aluminum backing. Clevites are made with a steel backing. I myself wouldn't loose any sleep over reusing those rod bolts with that few miles on.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:26 AM
gbarmore
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jebbysan
The difference is not the material but the back cut or the width on race bearings....the reason is the high end cranks have a large radius fillet on the outside of the journal....now Clevite used to backcut the race bearings...but somewhere along the way they NARROWED the Standard bearings.....
You are going to have to do a little research here....but I would say stick to what you have been running.

Jebby
Thanks Jebby, I'm going to go with a new set of the same king bearings that came in my motor originally, thanks for pointing out the differences. It really wasn't very clear when I did some homework on King's site.

Originally Posted by Pop Chevy
Yes, there is a difference in material. Some King brgs are made with an aluminum backing. Clevites are made with a steel backing. I myself wouldn't loose any sleep over reusing those rod bolts with that few miles on.
Pop, while the feedback I got on reusing the bolts was certainly mixed, I am going to go ahead and reuse what I have. They truly have only ~6K miles on them and look to be in good shape and are certainly not 'stock' bolts.

I'm going to invest in a dial bore gauge and a mic, and learn something new about building a motor. Appreciate everyone that chimed in with their input and experiences! Gotta run, I have a motor to build.

Quick Reply: Reusing Rod Bolts??