C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Tips for a TKO600 Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 11:48 AM
gbarmore
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverOverdrives
The 2/3 upshift is a hot topic regarding the TKO and we made a video to explain what causes it. It really just boils down to technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODQDwu-Z7hc

Other important factors are:

1. Bellhousing dial in
2. Clutch disengagement

Hope this clears things up!

Jeff
Good info, Jeff. Great to see the vid and how the transmission is designed to work. Looks like some stick-time with the TKO will make this a moot point. Much appreciated.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:49 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default Tremec

I found that the shifting becomes easier after about 500 miles or so of driving. Good luck with the Tremec. You are going to love it. Jerry
Old 11-22-2017, 07:30 AM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by gbarmore
Hi Matt, great write-up here, thank you. I'm considering swapping out my 2004-R with a TKO600, and was curious what you think of it after having a summer to run your's through the gears. I've read a bunch here on the forum, some positive and some not so positive. The negative being difficult and somewhat 'slow' 2/3 shifts.... Any issues with that or anything else now that you've had some wheel time with it??
I know I'm not he OP, but I've had a Tremec TKO600 in my car for just under a year, and have done 11,000 miles including track days and hillclimbs in that time. I love it, it's a great box and I've had no shifting dramas at all behind my ~500 hp 388 stroker, even at 7000rpm.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:45 PM
Matt81
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by gbarmore
Hi Matt, great write-up here, thank you. I'm considering swapping out my 2004-R with a TKO600, and was curious what you think of it after having a summer to run your's through the gears. I've read a bunch here on the forum, some positive and some not so positive. The negative being difficult and somewhat 'slow' 2/3 shifts.... Any issues with that or anything else now that you've had some wheel time with it??
I'll have to check out link SST put in above. I've never had an issue with shifting. It is MUCH tighter than the original Borg Warner.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'll be the first to admit that I'm not one to bang hard thru the gears. Did that many years ago, much more laid back now. However, the TKO pairs nicely to my Goodwrench 350 and 3.70 rear end. By far and away the best money I've spent on upgrading the vette to a modern cruiser.

I'm always happy to discuss details or answer questions as best I can about the conversion. Going from an auto to a manual has a few extra nuances, but at least you have a removable cross member. That will help A LOT.

If you'd like to talk direct, PM your phone number and I'll give you a call.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Old 11-27-2017, 06:30 PM
gbarmore
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Metalhead140
I know I'm not he OP, but I've had a Tremec TKO600 in my car for just under a year, and have done 11,000 miles including track days and hillclimbs in that time. I love it, it's a great box and I've had no shifting dramas at all behind my ~500 hp 388 stroker, even at 7000rpm.
Thx Metalhead, appreciate the input. Sounds like you're having a blast with your vette!

Originally Posted by Matt81
I'll have to check out link SST put in above. I've never had an issue with shifting. It is MUCH tighter than the original Borg Warner.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'll be the first to admit that I'm not one to bang hard thru the gears. Did that many years ago, much more laid back now. However, the TKO pairs nicely to my Goodwrench 350 and 3.70 rear end. By far and away the best money I've spent on upgrading the vette to a modern cruiser.

I'm always happy to discuss details or answer questions as best I can about the conversion. Going from an auto to a manual has a few extra nuances, but at least you have a removable cross member. That will help A LOT.

If you'd like to talk direct, PM your phone number and I'll give you a call.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Hey Matt, I just might take you up on your offer. I see that Tremec is raising prices to distributors starting in 2018 so I better get on it, and free shipping at SST ends Thursday.

Quick Reply: My Tips for a TKO600 Install