C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

74 C3 starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 08:21 PM
1974DMAC
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 74 C3 starting issue

Hello! I am new to the forum and to the corvette world and looking for some help on identifying which direction to take on my issue.

First Sts are the details. I have a 74 roadster with 38k miles and basically all original. It is the L48 with the 4 speed so it kind of rare!😉👍

the problem i have have is when it is started after sitting for a day or more. It takes a lot to get it to catch and when it does it usually stalls right out. After trying again it will usually start but if you give it gas it will stall out. Once started it's fine.

I replaced the fuel fuel filter a day ago as it was clogged. Also a few months back we had the coil replaced. I was told that the carb was rebuilt years ago, but I cannot verify this.

Once on in the car runs great. Never stalls and has plenty of power. I was thinking the plugs, wire and cap should be replaced first. Maybe the carb?

Sorry for the newbie questions. Thank you!!
Dan
Old 02-27-2017, 09:53 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default Hi and welcome.

Your choke may need an adjustment.
When cold, remove the air cleaner and blip the throttle and see if the choke plate closes.

You might want to email 'Lars' and request his paper on adjusting the choke.
V8fastcars@msn.com

Regards, Pete.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:26 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

when it's been sitting for a few days, do you pump the gas all the way to the floor about 3 times, remove your foot from the gas pedal, and then turn the key to start?
Old 03-01-2017, 07:19 PM
Blue73Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by MelWff
when it's been sitting for a few days, do you pump the gas all the way to the floor about 3 times, remove your foot from the gas pedal, and then turn the key to start?
On my 73 with the original (rebuilt by Lars) Rochester carb, I pump it to the floor twice, then turn key to start, without touching pedal. Starts every time after sitting more than 24 hours.
For less that that time, I turn the key to start and lightly touch the gas pedal. Works well.
This is pretty much what is written in the 1973 owners manual that came with the car.
Fran

Get notified of new replies

To 74 C3 starting issue

Quick Reply: 74 C3 starting issue