C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1969/need help with electrical mod, MSD & TI harness

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 05:42 PM
jetjockey
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1969/need help with electrical mod, MSD & TI harness

My goal/problem is to leave all the original TI stuff on this car in an unadulterated state, while at the same time making the connections from an MSD6AL disappear by using the distributor end of an old TI harness to connect the MSD to the TI distributor et al. My problem thus far is that I don't know enough to bridge the gulf to safely accomplish the mission. I have included the diagram from MSD. The pink text on the diagram is mine and represents what I believe to be the correct moves. Hopefully one of you smart fellers can keep me from getting into trouble.

My first question with the diagram is;
1. Red to Ignition...
Am I correct in connecting the Red MSD to the pink extension from the ignition switch harness?

Next, between the MSD 8860 harness and the distributor, I’ll use the upper end of an old TI harness. I plan to make the transition between the MSD harness and distributor by using the gray/pink wire ’T’ plug from the TI harness. However, the MSD diagram did not address the connection between the 2nd pink extension from the ’T’ plug and the yellow cloth covered wire that emanates from the cars main harness. That yellow wire is also the yellow wire at the starter solenoid (i think?).
So, question 2 is,
Can I still connect the pink extension from the distributor ’T’ plug (under my thumb), to the yellow cloth covered wire in the engine harness (under my pinky) without issue, since now the 6AL box is on the other end?

Old 03-05-2017, 06:36 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I installed an MSD distributor and another brand box a few years ago.. That 12v+ from you ignition switch will work fine. Unplug the original TI and plug your MSD box in. You will need to make sure you have a good ground for the MSD box too. On the distributor end, I tried both ways with the pink/gray to green/violet wires from the distributor to the box. Couldn't tell any difference. The yellow cloth braided wire can be stowed, the MSD box doesn't ask for a 12 volt source during start like the GM original TI. I've since deleted the other brand box and am just running the MSD distributor with the original TI system.

Quick Reply: 1969/need help with electrical mod, MSD & TI harness