C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Telescopic steering wheel shaft lock-rod and D-wedge don't catch (1977)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 04:55 AM
Jay Nygaard
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Telescopic steering wheel shaft lock-rod and D-wedge don't catch (1977)

Hi everyone, I'm excited to be part of the community! I can't tell you how many times this forum and everyone's wisdom has saved my hiney.

After disassembling the steering column, I ran into this problem while removing the steering wheel lock plate. The shaft coming out of the t&t column that goes in and out does not catch anything within the shaft. Even with applied pressure from a long screw (or me sticking a long, skinny screw driver in there ), the D-wedge doesn't seem to do what it's supposed to do: lock the shaft in place.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Let me know if it would help to hear more details. This has been a fun and stressful restoration process for my wife and I (it's definitely her car!), and though there are other bearable issues that arise, we could sure use a steering wheel.

Thank you!
Old 03-15-2017, 07:20 AM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

your using a long screw to try and push on the D-wedge ?

what about the rod that's supposed to sit on top of the wedge and the big lock screw/wheel pushes down on that?

is the rod in there ?
Old 03-15-2017, 08:21 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by bazza77
your using a long screw to try and push on the D-wedge ?

what about the rod that's supposed to sit on top of the wedge and the big lock screw/wheel pushes down on that?

is the rod in there ?
As mentioned above, make sure that the locking rod is in place. Then use a 5/16-18 UNC set screw or a #20 Allen screw to push on the rod to lock the upper steering shaft from telescoping.

You will not be able to exert enough pressure with just a screwdriver to lock up the two steering shafts.

Jim
Old 03-15-2017, 11:42 AM
Jay Nygaard
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
As mentioned above, make sure that the locking rod is in place. Then use a 5/16-18 UNC set screw or a #20 Allen screw to push on the rod to lock the upper steering shaft from telescoping.

You will not be able to exert enough pressure with just a screwdriver to lock up the two steering shafts.

Jim
I didn't realize how much pressure that thing would need...! The push pin-rod resting on the D-wedge is in place.

When I wrote the original post late at night I made a goof: we were putting the lock-plate back onto the shaft, not taking it off. My wife's grandfather was helping me out and somehow he got the pin holding the lock-plate out without the remover tool...! And when putting it back together, the set screw would not go back into the shaft. It's like the threads weren't in place, maybe after using the steering wheel puller? Anyway, we were able to force it down after a while with enough force and it goes in and out much easier, not super smooth, but easier.

I will try again with the screw in place shortly and let you all know how it goes.

Thank you both!
Old 03-15-2017, 03:22 PM
Jay Nygaard
3rd Gear

Well that did the trick - putting the original lock bolt in place kept the wedge in place to lock the shaft. Success! Now i will probably need to grid down a bolt that the lock plate tool can fit over.

Once again, thank you!
Old 03-16-2017, 07:15 AM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Nygaard
Well that did the trick - putting the original lock bolt in place kept the wedge in place to lock the shaft. Success! Now i will probably need to grid down a bolt that the lock plate tool can fit over.

Once again, thank you!
find one that uses an allen key ! the tool will fit right over it
Old 03-17-2017, 10:22 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by bazza77
find one that uses an allen key ! the tool will fit right over it
Stop by a hardware store and get a socket head capscrew.. IIRC it's 5/16 USS thread.

Get notified of new replies

To Telescopic steering wheel shaft lock-rod and D-wedge don't catch (1977)

Quick Reply: Telescopic steering wheel shaft lock-rod and D-wedge don't catch (1977)