C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mysterious spring came out of my parking brake

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 09:36 PM
footloose42
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mysterious spring came out of my parking brake

I went to engage the parking brake on my C3 today, and as I did, the little square cap at the end of the lever popped out (the button you press to release it). It was dark so I didn't see it happen, but when I turned on the light, I also noticed a spring sitting in my passenger seat.

This appears to have been the spring that forces the tab at the base of the lever against the ratchet teeth to get the lever to lock in place. I can manually move the tab in place to lock the parking brake, and I was able to push the little square button back into the end of the lever, so I can use that to disengage it. But looking around the parking brake assembly, (and looking through the exploded view in the shop manual), I can't seem to find where this spring is supposed to go so I can put it back in place.

Here are some photos:

The spring:

The square button I was able to push back into place:

The ratchet and tab I'm referring to:

Can anybody help point me in the right direction?
Old 03-31-2017, 05:57 AM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

I bet it would go back into the handle. I'm guessing it is to hold that little square button out all the time
Old 03-31-2017, 06:38 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by bazza77
I bet it would go back into the handle. I'm guessing it is to hold that little square button out all the time

I would be more concerned about your hand turning silver.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:23 AM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Big2Bird

I would be more concerned about your hand turning silver.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:23 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by bazza77

The spring goes under the button... you might want to put some epoxy on it so that it stays in place as well.

Willcox
Old 03-31-2017, 10:32 AM
jeffstuarts
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by general_0408
I went to engage the parking brake on my C3 today, and as I did, the little square cap at the end of the lever popped out (the button you press to release it). It was dark so I didn't see it happen, but when I turned on the light, I also noticed a spring sitting in my passenger seat.

This appears to have been the spring that forces the tab at the base of the lever against the ratchet teeth to get the lever to lock in place. I can manually move the tab in place to lock the parking brake, and I was able to push the little square button back into the end of the lever, so I can use that to disengage it. But looking around the parking brake assembly, (and looking through the exploded view in the shop manual), I can't seem to find where this spring is supposed to go so I can put it back in place.

Here are some photos:

The spring:

The square button I was able to push back into place:

The ratchet and tab I'm referring to:

Can anybody help point me in the right direction?
The button popped off and the button and spring probably shot out. I see that you already put the button back on. That spring is behind the black plastic button that you push in to release the handle to lower it. You will need to remove the button to put the spring in. It is very simple to reinstall. Raise the handle as high as it will go. You will see a metal rod inside. Put the spring in the opening so it seats in the recess. Take the plastic button and get the rod to go into the center. Push in the button firmly until you feel it click into place. That's how it was originally installed but here's the thing- the hole in the button is probably worn so it won't hold on the rod. That's why it pooped off in the first place. You can put a small amount of JB Weld into the hole in the button and then push on. This will keep it there. [B]Warning[B] Make sure the button goes on in the correct orientation. Once on it will be very difficult to remove and reverse after on.
Jeff

Last edited by jeffstuarts; 03-31-2017 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:25 PM
footloose42
Intermediate

You all were absolutely correct. The spring is behind the button and the JB weld is setting now. Thanks!
Old 03-31-2017, 04:48 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by general_0408
You all were absolutely correct. The spring is behind the button and the JB weld is setting now. Thanks!

Maybe find something a bit harder next time ?

(just a joke )
Old 03-31-2017, 04:51 PM
footloose42
Intermediate

Who doesn't like a few softballs every now and again, eh?

Get notified of new replies

To Mysterious spring came out of my parking brake

Quick Reply: Mysterious spring came out of my parking brake