C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sluggish Tachometer

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 04:40 PM
bill69
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Sluggish Tachometer

Hey all,
Just took my 70 Vette out for a spin from its winter hibernation and the tachometer is sluggish. Takes seconds for it to get up or down to the correct RPM. Should i try putting some type of lube down the cable? Do I need to replace the tachometer or get it rebuilt?

Thanks.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:27 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

Basically there are three possibilities. The tach cable, the distributor, or the tach itself. My money is on the tach. When is the last time you disassembled the distributor and lubricated the tach drive gears? This is a regular maintenance item and if your haven't been done, the gears may be on their way out. Next I would remove the tach cable and disassemble it. Clean and lubricate the cable, or replace it. Make sure you don't use a whole bunch of oil - it will work its way into the tach and mess it up. I use a spray graphite to lube cables. If its not the distributor, and its not the cable. You will need to have your tach rebuilt. I used Rogers to restore the cluster in my midyear with good results.

Quick Reply: Sluggish Tachometer