C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilding steering actuator

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2002, 12:18 AM
VETJET
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilding steering actuator

I am rebuilding the power steering actuator (cylinder) on my 81 and I have pulled the snap ring off but the cylinder does not want to seperate. What is the best way to get the unit apart so that I can rebuild it?
Old 09-26-2002, 09:04 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Rebuilding steering actuator (VETJET)

You can only replace the rod seals and scraper, you can't take the cilinder apart. It's crimped and welded shut :)
Old 09-26-2002, 09:11 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

The following question was posted about a year and a half ago. I had it in my files as hard copy. I couldn't find it by searching the forum. It was posted in May 2001. The question was posted as '80 Power steering cylinder rebuild:
"I have removed the old spring clip, the old copper washer, and the old fiber washer from my cylinder, but I can't figure out how to dismantle it further. Are you supposed to be able to pull the rod out of the cylinder? Or pry out the remaining washer and oil seal? I pull on the rod, but it doesn't seem to want to come out all the way, and I can't see any way to get a grip on the washer, which seems to be inside the cylinder."

The answers were:

The rod is not serviceable. The cylinder is welded together after the rod is installed at the factory.

To get the washer and final oil seal out try the following.
1. Fully extend the rod to see the washer.
2. Get a small screwdriver and bite the edge of the washer.
3. Slowly retract the rod while biting the washer.
4. Once it moves in relation to the rod, extend the rod and you'll be able to remove the washer.

Thanks, that did the trick. I used a small screwdriver and hammer to tap the washer and get it rotating, which broke it loose, then I pulled and wiggled the rod and out it came.

I also came across the suggestion to use air pressure in the cylinder to blow out the seals, which would probably have been even easier.

Now, I have everything in, but I can't quite get everything packed in tight enough to get the spring clip into the end groove.

I kinda remember that getting the clip in was tight. I think I used both the snap ring pliers and a long-nose pliers together to push in the clip against the packing. Once a portion of the clip seats, patiently work the rest of the clip into the groove.

I think that the above questions and answers should be a big help for you.

Old 10-06-2002, 10:58 PM
VETJET
Instructor

Ok, this helped me get the first seal out. Behind it is another peice which looks like a plastic spacer. I am concerned about prying it out due to the fact that I do not want to damage it since there is not a replacement in my kit from Ecklers. What do I do here? Does anyone have a break down of this cylinder that shows the internal parts?

Also the replacement seal that goes on the outside has a slightly smaller O.D. than the original and does not fit snug into the actuator housing. Is this normal???

This seems like a relatively simple job, but it sure is getting agrivating. :confused:
Old 10-07-2002, 12:51 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Mark,
I just sent you an eMail with an attachment. The early design booster cylinders had 5 sealing pieces. There was a seal, a backup washer, a scraper element, a scraper, and the snap ring. Later designs had only three pieces; a seal, a scraper, and a snap ring. Whether or not you had the only 5 piece unit or the 3 piece design, they were both designed to fit into the same cylinder cavity.

I assume from your description, your cylinder is the old 5 piece design, and the Eckler seal package is the new design.

Just don't gouge the cylinder rod or the cylinder housing when you remove the old parts.

Good luck,
Jim Shea
Old 10-08-2002, 11:27 PM
VETJET
Instructor

Default Re: Rebuilding steering actuator (Jim Shea)

Thanks guys.

Mark

Get notified of new replies

To Rebuilding steering actuator

Quick Reply: Rebuilding steering actuator