C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

78 A/C Vacuum Selector Switch Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 12:29 PM
raydog9379
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Default 78 A/C Vacuum Selector Switch Help

So I have the problem with the hissing out of the switch and never had an a system that actually switched ducts. Just remember the seller when I bought the car back in 2005 saying that the A/C didn't work. I'm hopeful that this is the easy fix to the issue quite honestly.

A little while back I fixed the immense heat issue because of the little plunger under the glove box wouldn't close all the way.

Now I'm thinking about tackling this issue and searched through the forum for various posts saying I needed dialectric or high vacuum grease on the inside because these switches are garbage.

So just now I took apart my switch which was really easy from the passengers side with the panel off with a small screw driver (i.e. didn't have to take apart the whole console). Problem is that when I went to pop the piece apart, the little white rivet thing cracked because it's brittle as heck as you can see from the picture.

So my question is... For those that have success, what screw or whatever worked well to fix this and put it all back together and get correct seal?
Attached Images  
Old 04-02-2017, 12:47 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

I'd buy a new switch from Willcox Corvette. They disassemble, lubricate, and check them prior to shipping them out. No one else does that.
Old 04-02-2017, 01:04 PM
raydog9379
Racer

Originally Posted by Street Rat
I'd buy a new switch from Willcox Corvette. They disassemble, lubricate, and check them prior to shipping them out. No one else does that.
Except they are just shy of $30 + shipping (already looked at that route). If there's a screw I can pop in there for <$1 and I can lubricate it... then why not try that before shelling out $35-40. Hate to not try to fix my orig first and use that as a backup plan should all else fail.
Old 04-02-2017, 01:09 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by raydog9379
Except they are just shy of $30 + shipping (already looked at that route). If there's a screw I can pop in there for <$1 and I can lubricate it... then why not try that before shelling out $35-40. Hate to not try to fix my orig first and use that as a backup plan should all else fail.

I hear you.

There is a thread showing the screw size and fix somewhere here. I'll keep looking.
Old 04-02-2017, 01:20 PM
tysonsbeak
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used a nylon screw, nylon washer and nylon nut from home depot. Works great.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:30 PM
raydog9379
Racer

So I got this one knocked out for now... Thanks all!

For those with the same issue, Home Depot no longer sells nylon screws and nuts. Neither does Menards for those that have a Menards. Guy at Home Depot said Ace Hardware does, so finally the 3rd store was the winner. Ace had a ton in all different sizes, etc. in pull out drawers to mix and match as needed. I bought 2 sets of screw, nut, and washer since it was like .83 cents and I usually break something. I forgot to write down the size but just bring your stuff and fit it.

Also bought the dielectric grease... total cost of the fix was $7 since I couldn't find any grease sitting around. If you have the grease, then .83 cents.

A couple things I ran into.

1) I cleaned out all the old grease and junk before putting the new in.
2) The nut kept loosening and the vacuum wouldn't hold. I solved that by supergluing the nut to the back. Could also buy a locking nut if you can find one.
3) You can test it without screwing it back into the selector switch. I put the piece with the vacuum lines on and noticed I had leaks still by just moving the arm. Took it apart and added more grease but this time to the back and not more to the rubber piece. Tightened it down pretty tight and re-tested. All good! Not sure if this will last forever (as long as the nut doesn't come free from the superglue and loosen) but it's a 5 minute fix now that I know how to handle.

Haven't had anything but lower ducts in 12 years of owning the car. Now I have vents and dash/defrost ability and no hissing from the center console. Just need to figure out the a/c now though as the engine temp was running pretty hot and the inside wasn't getting all that cold and no condensation on the ground. Prob. non-functioning or less than functioning compressor or not enough refrigerant or combo.

Here are some pictures as I was assembling them for others down the road.

Before tightening down the screw, but this shows the screw and washer.

Side with the nut. Had to super glue the nut to the black plastic. Locking nut would be better probably, but this worked.

Get notified of new replies

To 78 A/C Vacuum Selector Switch Help

Quick Reply: 78 A/C Vacuum Selector Switch Help