C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve springs not centered in retainer/around valve

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 04:13 PM
StraubTech
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by dmruschell
Yeah, if I'm going to go to all of the trouble to put on new heads, I'd rather spend a little more, get exactly what I want, and not have to have any unforseen headaches. I think you helped make my decision for me. The only downside is the cost, but if the Dart heads aren't set up right, I might be giving a machine shop some money to fix the problems anyways, so there goes the cost savings.

I swapped intakes on the 79 today, but will probably put the heads on hold for a little while until some other car projects are finished up so I can use those cars while my 79 is having surgery. Thanks for your honest review of the Darts, and for sharing your experiences with the AFRs.
This is a 350CID engine?
Old 04-20-2017, 09:44 PM
dmruschell
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by StraubTech
This is a 350CID engine?
Yes.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:15 PM
dmruschell
Pro

I figured I'd post the conclusion to this thread.

In early July, heard a tapping sound that that was louder than normal and pulled the passenger side valve cover. The rocker on the #4 exhaust valve was sliding off of the valve stem every time the valve opened. That stem was work at an angle.

So, I ordered a set of AFR 180 Eliminators with 65cc chambers assembled with their their hydraulic flat tapper springs. I ordered them over the phone with Summit, which saved me a few $$ and allowed me to use the Summit Speed Card. They arrived in late July while I was out of town. I installed the AFR heads last week and, after 10 test miles, took the car on a 550 mile road trip without any issues (related to the engine, anyways lol). Performance is virtually unchanged from the old heads, but throttle response is very crisp, and my fuel gauge doesn't dive towards empty as quickly. So, I believe the engine is running more efficiently with the AFRs. The exhaust note is slightly more mellow on the highway with the open heat riser. Overall, I'm happy with the heads.

The valve springs are definitely not going to wander on the AFRs lol.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:07 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,044 Likes on 857 Posts

I figured I'd post the conclusion to this thread.

In early July, heard a tapping sound that that was louder than normal and pulled the passenger side valve cover. The rocker on the #4 exhaust valve was sliding off of the valve stem every time the valve opened. That stem was work at an angle.

So, I ordered a set of AFR 180 Eliminators with 65cc chambers assembled with their their hydraulic flat tapper springs. I ordered them over the phone with Summit, which saved me a few $$ and allowed me to use the Summit Speed Card. They arrived in late July while I was out of town. I installed the AFR heads last week and, after 10 test miles, took the car on a 550 mile road trip without any issues (related to the engine, anyways lol). Performance is virtually unchanged from the old heads, but throttle response is very crisp, and my fuel gauge doesn't dive towards empty as quickly. So, I believe the engine is running more efficiently with the AFRs. The exhaust note is slightly more mellow on the highway with the open heat riser. Overall, I'm happy with the heads.

The valve springs are definitely not going to wander on the AFRs lol.
Good to hear they are working out for you. Mine are quite crisp responding as well, it's the benefit of an appropriately sized intake runner and the resulting high velocity of the intake charge for the use of the engine.
I believe from my experience with the AFR's that you get more than just a name for the extra $$, you get the benefit of a quality product. My AFR 180's continue to run good and perform flawlessly.

Last edited by REELAV8R; 08-08-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:24 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Got bitten as reeflavr did also-its a shame that machinists or "tuners" will knowingly steer you towards crap parts cause they make a little more and you get to do it twice. Why some advertise a given size that is way off Ill never know; they can all vary a little but man....mine were close to 20cc more. Big fat fail, didnt know back then about this stuff

Last edited by cv67; 08-08-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:00 AM
dmruschell
Pro

The heads that came off of the engine weren't horrible, and make about the same power (seat of the pants) as the AFRs on my 350. Since the AFR's intake runner is more appropriately sized for a 350, the old heads might even go well on a 383. They're supposedly Dart Pro1 clones. The driver's side head has no valve damage, but the passenger side has some abnormal valve stem wear on just about every valve.

I think I may get some correct spring retainers (cups? not sure if retainer is the correct word after doing some reading) to keep the springs from wandering and new valves for the one head and see what I can do with them. I'm sure it won't be the last time I work on a SBC.
Old 12-26-2023, 01:00 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 231 Likes on 199 Posts

Default DART SHP Heads valve train problems

I spent yesterday sorting out some rocker issues I created when switching from roller rockers to roller tipped rockers. I got it all sorted out, but noticed something that made me a little concerned, but wasn't sure if I should be.

I noticed that the valve springs were not centered in their retainers. I also noticed that (with the corresponding lifter on the cam base circle) I was able to slide the valve spring in its retainer.

To compare, I looked at a set of Summit Racing iron heads (supposedly made by Dart) I bought assembled for a 75 I'm bringing back to life. There is no way the springs on those heads can slide anywhere.

Here is a picture I took while reassembling yesterday. If closely inspected, it can be seen that most springs are not quite centered in the retainers.

Should I be concerned? Thanks in advance.

Hi, I resurrected this tread because it seems I have the same issues with my SHP heads. The valve springs are off centre on some valves same as in the pic.
The RH valve cover was leaking slightly so removed the cover and while it was off noticed a couple of small metal fragments by one of the head bolts so removed the rockers and figured it had to be valve spring remnants. Have only removed two springs so far (No 6 cyl) and found the ex valve spring in this state. After reading the older threads I'm thinking this issue is caused by the springs being able to "walk" around on the flat spring seat? Can this be remedied by different spring seats without pulling the heads? Never gave it much thought when I fitted the heads (they came pre-assembled). I have a lathe and was considering whether a collar machined to fit over the valve guide and inside the spring might be a fix?
FWIW I would not recommend these heads to anyone, on top of the above issue, when I fitted them I had to remove material from many of the pushrod tunnels to prevent the pushrods from rubbing against them.

No 6 cyl Ex valve spring.
Old 12-26-2023, 03:19 PM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 352 Likes on 257 Posts

So you could order a set of these to help locate your springs in the pocket correctly. There are pages and pages of them on the Summit site, you just need to do some measurements on your heads to find the correct ones (pocket diameter, spring OD, Valve guide OD.) They can easily be installed without removing the heads, using rope or air pressure to keep the valves in place while the retainers are removed.
If you're concerned about the additional spring pressure or spring coil binding, you can also get offset valve keepers to restore original spring height.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-4709-1
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cro-86107x1-16

Old 12-26-2023, 04:50 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Really should start a new thread.
Just a couple observations and questions:
Are the guide plates slots too big? Maybe its the photo but they look a mile away from the pushrod.

Are the rocker studs too long? In other words, they bottom out in the head and never actually clamp down the guide plates. I see oil under the removed plate. That indicates there is a gap between guide and head.

Those rocker studs take a lot of torque to secure them properly. Maybe 50 -60 lbs? Don't recall off hand.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 12-26-2023 at 06:08 PM.
Old 12-26-2023, 08:32 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
Really should start a new thread.
Just a couple observations and questions:
Are the guide plates slots too big? Maybe its the photo but they look a mile away from the pushrod.

Are the rocker studs too long? In other words, they bottom out in the head and never actually clamp down the guide plates. I see oil under the removed plate. That indicates there is a gap between guide and head.

Those rocker studs take a lot of torque to secure them properly. Maybe 50 -60 lbs? Don't recall off hand.
The first pic is from the original thread, not my heads. My guide plates are tight and the pushrods are a close fit in the guides:-)
The following users liked this post:
HeadsU.P. (12-27-2023)
Old 12-26-2023, 08:40 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by OMF
So you could order a set of these to help locate your springs in the pocket correctly. There are pages and pages of them on the Summit site, you just need to do some measurements on your heads to find the correct ones (pocket diameter, spring OD, Valve guide OD.) They can easily be installed without removing the heads, using rope or air pressure to keep the valves in place while the retainers are removed.
If you're concerned about the additional spring pressure or spring coil binding, you can also get offset valve keepers to restore original spring height.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-4709-1
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cro-86107x1-16
Thanks I will check the Summit list out, I've just spent a couple of hours looking at the JEGS site for the same thing but no luck so far.
The flat washers fitted currently are 1.500" outside diameter
The spring outer diameter is 1.263"
inner diameter is 0.791"
Valve guide is 0.559" diameter
Found these ones so far -
Comp cams 249-4693-16 OD 1.30" ID .570" spring ID .800"
Comp cams 249-4776-16 OD1.55" ID .570" spring ID .790"
Both of these would be a sloppy fit onto the valve guide how critical is this measurement?
Old 12-26-2023, 10:36 PM
ratflinger
NCM Grand Opening Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 377 Likes on 259 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '17

Yeah, you really should start a new thread & just reference this one.
The following users liked this post:
HeadsU.P. (12-27-2023)
Old 12-27-2023, 08:00 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,902 Likes on 2,566 Posts

Originally Posted by Haggisbash
Thanks I will check the Summit list out, I've just spent a couple of hours looking at the JEGS site for the same thing but no luck so far.
The flat washers fitted currently are 1.500" outside diameter
The spring outer diameter is 1.263"
inner diameter is 0.791"
Valve guide is 0.559" diameter
Found these ones so far -
Comp cams 249-4693-16 OD 1.30" ID .570" spring ID .800"
Comp cams 249-4776-16 OD1.55" ID .570" spring ID .790"
Both of these would be a sloppy fit onto the valve guide how critical is this measurement?
Use a spring I.D. locator and not a cup......

Jebby
Old 12-27-2023, 08:56 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,044 Likes on 857 Posts

If you have the money, save yourself the headache and buy some quality heads. You will not be able to get the installed height sufficient high enough to control the spring surge through coil proximity at full lift. Well...I guess you could get shorter valves. But those SHP heads were such a disappointment for me I just decided to shelve them.

Last edited by REELAV8R; 12-27-2023 at 10:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Valve springs not centered in retainer/around valve