C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on lowering 79

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 08:59 PM
adamdinat
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Need advice on lowering 79

I have known this car rides too high and have wanted to lower it for a long time. I measured tonight and the front is 29" and the rear is almost 30" I am going to get the 8" bolts for the rear and am thinking of just cutting the front springs. I have read that some owners swap to a 550# spring in the front but am concerned that would make it ride harder. My questions are what should be the ride height front and rear and what problems am I going to get into on the front? How much should I cut off the springs. Is there a way to estimate that without taking everything apart 3 times?

The car has aluminum heads, intake, radiator and an aftermarket 9 leaf spring in the back. I am running 255 60 15 tires. the car has 86,000 mi. Am I crazy to reuse the old springs.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:23 PM
The Punisher
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 141 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Buy the 550lb springs. You won't notice a ride difference. Too much guess work in cutting springs
Old 04-18-2017, 11:25 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 520 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by The Punisher
Buy the 550lb springs. You won't notice a ride difference. Too much guess work in cutting springs

Here is my 78 with the VB&P street and slalom.

Front 550 Springs and 360 rear comp spring.

My height to wheel arch is 27.25"

Old 04-19-2017, 12:23 AM
L82Dude
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

550 lb springs might work, it didn't for my 1980. tried cutting them and screwed up so went to coilovers

1/2" off spring = 1" body drop, cut bottom, set spring in upper pocket

typically front should be 1" lower then rear, or so I read somewhere

I'm using Viking coilovers with 550lb springs, i'm bottomed out and sitting at 26.5 on front and waiting for it to settle , takes 500-1000 miles according to their techs and should settle another 1"
Old 04-20-2017, 01:32 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by adamdinat
I have known this car rides too high and have wanted to lower it for a long time. I measured tonight and the front is 29" and the rear is almost 30" I am going to get the 8" bolts for the rear and am thinking of just cutting the front springs. I have read that some owners swap to a 550# spring in the front but am concerned that would make it ride harder. My questions are what should be the ride height front and rear and what problems am I going to get into on the front? How much should I cut off the springs. Is there a way to estimate that without taking everything apart 3 times?

The car has aluminum heads, intake, radiator and an aftermarket 9 leaf spring in the back. I am running 255 60 15 tires. the car has 86,000 mi. Am I crazy to reuse the old springs.
My car used to sit like this with Alum. heads, intake, and radiator, since you are planning on buying new coils anyway it doesnt cost anything to cut the ones you already have and if you go to far it doesn't matter you were planning to buy new anyway.

I cut a full coil off my stock springs and it only dropped it about an inch, I pulled the coils back out and heated the coil I cut (and only the one i cut) to bend it flat like the stock coil end was. This dropped the front down to the 26" ish height i was looking for, I used 10" bolts to get the height in the rear I wanted but, the front spoiler was now less than 1.5" from the ground (I believe mine is damaged) so I didn't get to drive it before I swapped in the coil overs I bought.

Last edited by Kacyc3; 04-20-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:53 PM
Silvertone
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by adamdinat

Maybe this will take the guesswork out for you. My tires are 26.5" tall, I have aluminum heads, manifold, pump, radiator and no AC.

The front springs are VBP 460's that are cut exactly one coil. By my math, that is a spring rate of approximately 525lbs. Nice match for the 340ish composite rear.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:02 PM
Silvertone
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

To answer your question, I would never go back to a stock spring. Unless you want that mushy, too soft ride that compromises your cornering ability. I am very comfortable and a lot more stable now.

Steve
Old 04-29-2017, 12:27 PM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Silvertone
To answer your question, I would never go back to a stock spring. Unless you want that mushy, too soft ride that compromises your cornering ability. I am very comfortable and a lot more stable now.

Steve
Same here. Dramatic difference with aftermarket springs and bilsteins. Ride quality is better and handling is much better. 18" Y-rated tires help too
Old 04-29-2017, 01:30 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

FWIW, 550# front coils really aren't all that high of a spring rate when you consider their effective rate at the wheel is only about half that.

As for measuring ride heights, from a mechanical standpoint suspension geometry references should be given priority over those based on cosmetics alone. Body references can vary from spec due to frame or mounting issues and non-OEM tire/wheel combinations, thus it is entirely possible for everything to look just fine from the outside while having asymmetric chassis underneath. So, best IMHO to check the following dimensions (with all fluids, ~1/2 tank of gas, and driver's approx. weight in the driver's seat) anytime one is addressing ride heights just to make sure everything is copacetic. FYI, nose-high factory '79 "Z" & "D" heights at curb weight...

Coupe P225/70R15 STD Susp 2.79 Z - 2.22 D
Coupe P255/60R15 STD Susp 3.02 Z - 2.40 D
Coupe P225/70R15 FE7 Susp 2.79 Z - 2.22 D
Coupe P255/60R15 FE7 Susp 3.02 Z - 2.40 D

HTH

Last edited by TheSkunkWorks; 04-29-2017 at 01:31 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Need advice on lowering 79

Quick Reply: Need advice on lowering 79